Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
interesting...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5933775/

What's to blame
for the rise in ADHD?

Researchers point fingers
at TV, genetics, overdiagnosis
Some scientists say watching TV could lead to an increased risk for ADHD, while others argue that genetics and other factors play a bigger role in the development of the disorder.

By Victoria Clayton
Contributor
MSNBC
Updated: 3:29 p.m. ET Sept. 8, 2004
When most of today's parents were growing up, the common wisdom about television viewing was not to sit too close to the screen or you’d go blind.

There was relatively little in the way of children’s programming: Sesame Street, which turned 35 this year, was in its infancy and there were a few cartoons, as well as Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers and Romper Room.

How times have changed. In the years since then, children’s programming has exploded. Now whole networks are devoted to young viewers.

And, interestingly enough, something else has exploded: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, a behavior condition that now affects from 4 percent to 12 percent of U.S. children. ADHD is characterized by the inability to focus, listen, and complete tasks and schoolwork. Many children are medicated to control the condition.

When it comes to TV, says Dr. Dimitri Christakis, a pediatric researcher at Children’s Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle, concerns over eyesight should be the least of parents' concerns. Instead, he contends that ADHD and the onslaught of children’s programming, along with DVD players and portable TVs that make viewing possible anywhere anytime, may very well be linked.

Study finds increased risk from TV
Christakis is the lead author of a study published in the journal Pediatrics in April that suggests TV viewing in very young children contributes to attention problems later in life. “The study revealed that each hour of television watched per day at ages 1 through 3 increases the risk of attention problems by almost 10 percent at age 7,” says Christakis.

The study attempted to control for attributes of the home environment, such as cognitive stimulation and emotional support, but a key factor was left out: the content of the programs children watched. Christakis says this aspect should be studied in more detail at some point, but he maintains that it’s not the message of the program that’s likely the culprit — it’s the visual tactics used.

Christakis and others in the field, such as Jane Healy, an education psychologist in Vail, Colo., and author of "Your Child’s Growing Mind: Brain Development and Learning from Birth to Adolescence," believe common programming tactics designed to capture a child’s attention can have a deleterious affect on brain chemistry.

Healy says overstimulation from rapid scene changes and other programming tactics may throw off the balance of the body's catecholamine system, which is responsible for carrying communications between nerves.

“It has to do with neurotransmitters in the catecholamine system — dopamine and norepinephrine,” she adds.

Real life becomes slow and boring
Children’s programmers use a technique called the “orienting reflex," known as OR, to capture and keep a child’s attention. OR works in this way: If we see or hear something the brain doesn’t recognize as the correct sequence or a typical life event — such as a dancing alphabet or quick zooms and pans, we focus on it until the brain recognizes that it doesn’t pose a threat. The problem with watching too many programs that rely on OR is that real life becomes slow and boring by comparison.

“We think that with continued exposure to high intensity, unrealistic action, you’re conditioning the mind to expect that level of input,” Christakis explains. When the child doesn’t get the fast-paced input that television provides, he or she becomes bored and inattentive.

“It used to be that as educators we talked about the 'two-minute mind,'" says Healy. "Now it’s the 30-second mind." Of course, having an extremely short attention span makes listening, problem solving and learning to read difficult.

Genetics may play key role
While the implications of Christakis’s study are intriguing, not to mention frightening to all those decent parents who consider it a good day when their children sit contently watching Sesame Street and perhaps even a Baby Einstein chaser, they may also be a bit sensationalistic, says ADHD expert Dr. David Rabiner of Duke University.

“At this point there’s a compelling body of evidence that suggests that it’s genetics that plays the biggest role in ADHD,” he says. “Not bad parenting.”

While some research has been done to determine if there are links between ADHD and environmental factors, as well as nutrition, sleep disorders, exposure to toxins and certain prenatal conditions, Rabiner says the connections have consistently been found to be weak or nonexistent.

Instead, Rabiner attributes the rise in ADHD to more awareness of the condition and slightly relaxed criteria for diagnosis.

“I think it’s a gross misunderstanding of the recent study to jump to the conclusion that television watching leads to ADHD. The study doesn’t prove anything of the sort,” says Rabiner, who notes that the scale used in the study to determine if children who had watched TV later developed “attention problems” cannot be compared to the standards that a professional would use make a diagnosis.

Rabiner advises parents to limit the amount of television their children watch for a variety of reasons, but says they should make the choice independent of any worries that TV causes ADHD.

Christakis agrees — sort of. “Our study doesn’t prove a link between clinical ADHD and television viewing,” he says. “But I don’t even think that’s the most important point here. As parents, the most important thing is for us to do everything we can environmentally to encourage our children to focus as much as they are genetically endowed to.”

What's a parent to do?
So should parents throw the TV out the window? Healy and Christakis offer these more moderate suggestions:

Parents should keep TV viewing to a minimum, if not eliminate it, for a child's first two years. This is also the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics. “There are videos that claim they’re good for children’s minds, but there is absolutely no evidence that any program is good for young children,” says Christakis.
For children older than two, limit total screen time (TV, computers and video games) to an hour of carefully selected programming per day. Slow-paced shows are preferable to fast-paced ones.
Reduce the background noise of TV as much as possible. Researchers believe background noise interferes with a child’s ability to concentrate on a problem and decide on a reasonable behavior or train of thought.
Encourage your children to learn through their hands and bodies. “It’s better to touch and smell an apple rather than watch one on the television or computer screen,” says Healy.
Talk to your child and listen instead of allowing any screen to talk to him or her. This communication is crucial in the development of language and interpersonal skills. “If you skip over early language or shortchange it because you’re watching television so much, you may never get it back,” warns Healy.

Victoria Clayton is a freelance writer based in California and co-author of the forthcoming book "Fearless Pregnancy," due out in November from Fair Winds Press.

That's weird. My Son more so plays PS2, and the few shows that he does watch are cartoons, fullhouse and once in a while a movie here and there!

Sir Evil said:
Yes, but you are his mother! what more can you expect? I would have issues too!:D

YOU being his UNCLE should say something too!!!!!!!!!!!!

NATO AIR said:
sir evil- a person who must want fatties in his PM inbox every day for all eternity

NASTY FATTIES at that Nato!!!!!! haha

I havent yet figured out how to single out a quote to respond to so I will just make a general response. I think our physical enviornment has a huge affect on lots of these behavior problems. Exposure to chemicals, some of which did not even exist 20 years ago, can easily disrupt not only the biochemistry of our bodies but disrupt our behaviors. A study done not to long ago came up with the surprising results of just how much of these new compounds we have in our bodies. A determined effort to limit exposure,(read labels and see just how much protection is recommended, like gloves, respirators, etc. you may be very surprised) and another determination to buy organic when you can and eliminate stuff like artificial sweetners and preservatives from the diet are positive steps any individual can take to be on the proactive side of this issue.

sagegirl said:
I havent yet figured out how to single out a quote to respond to
At the bottom of the post you want to quote, there's a button that say's "quote", hit it. Hope that helps! :D

ADHD? I can't prove it, however I'd guess 95% is simply a parent's decision to avoid instilling discipline in their kids' lives.

-=d=- said:
ADHD? I can't prove it, however I'd guess 95% is simply a parent's decision to avoid instilling discipline in their kids' lives.
My guess is that's more provable than any other claim being made these days.
They can't focus? Huh, sit em in front of a video game and watch the focus...for hours.
Many adults are being sucked into this ADHD scam..There's something wrong with your kid...
well there is, sort of, the cold hard truth is it's a lack of parenting. No one wants to hear that.
Why should they it takes time they do not or think they do not have, and lots of work to raise a kid, meds make it a piece of cake.

We (society) have created this monster..Parents are the only ones that can fight it.

No you can't, and honestly that statement seems a little foolish in face of many clinical studies that have been done.

I am just amazed at the sheer ignorance and lack of scientific education that I see in this thread. Before ignorant statements are made a person should make it their business to educate themselves on the subject.

Realize how these statements hurt the parents, WHEN IT IS A PROVEN FACT, that parenting has NOTHING to do with the condition. Then again, I guess you people know more than the many scientists and researchers.

Mr. P said:
I don't believe ADHD exists. It's a good catch-all for young energetic kids, but a medical problem?
I don't buy it.
I can't agree more!
I believe parents and doctors are too quick to diagnose a kid with ADHD, just because they are very active and just because they suddenly seem to have problems paying attention.

For one ... most kids are very active. Some for more than others. Being hyper and being active is not a medical condition. In my opinion it is a sign of good health and energy, if nothing else.

second ... Most kids do not have that great of an attention span. If a child is having problems in school, and problems with paying attention, that needs to be taken up with the parents, teacher and child to correct it, not a drug.

All too amazing!! how you all have become such doctors in this field. I ask each one of you, do you have a child that was diagnosed with ADHD? or are these just your OPINION???

Discipline, though I tend to agree a child NEEDS discipline, I argue that it's the reason for ADHD - just as it is, that beating your child will cure them from being GAY!!! this too is simply OPINION.

Yes, my Son was diagnosed with ADHD, I suppose I am to blame, right? freag that! I will not be judged by people who have ONLY opinions to offer.

When my Son was born, he was a great kid, yes, sometimes you have to tell them NO - but until he went to school, he was a good kid. In school, he started having some problems concentrating and taking in all that the teacher was saying. His moods changed, and he became depressed too. Maybe giving him a good kick in the ass would straighten that out with some of your comments, right? BS!

ADHD goes beyond discipline! yes, too, I had a rough marriage, from a Father who was quite selfish in caring about ONLY himself instead of his children. To us fighting, some physical, some mental. I put an end to that situation. I sat with myself 2 years ago, in tears, and yeah, blamed myself for all that my Son has gone through, and what could I HAVE DONE BETTER. Finally, the school agreed that there was far more wrong and they are the ones too that felt he had ADHD. I took him to the doctors, and NO, the doctor wouldn't just throw medicine at him, as you ALL feel. He had to study and be 100% sure without a doubt that there is a need for it. I also had him go to counseling. He was going a few days a week. They are the people who also agreed a problem focussing on issues and felt that Adderall would help him. The doctor put him on it - within days, my son not only acted different, but in school he became more alert and his grades came up too!

I am back where I left off, struggling again with it. My Son didn't want to take the medicine and hid it, and he didn't want to do counseling either. His alertness in school has gone way down and they reported this in a meeting. I know I have to get him back in counseling and do what's best for my Son, but i have sat and said I DID NOT CAUSE THIS!!!! and those of you that will put the blame on me know nothing about the situation. Yes, he could use more discipline, but this is not the reasons. Until some of you can tell me that your children are going through this and you can feel what us parents feel with a child like this, you have no rights to blame anyone, but give your LOUSY opinions, and you know the saying, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"....

It's a situation that I can't just sit and read such comments coming from people who have absolutely no experience in this or have dealt with it.

eric said:
I am just amazed at the sheer ignorance and lack of scientific education that I see in this thread. Before ignorant statements are made a person should make it their business to educate themselves on the subject.

Realize how these statements hurt the parents, WHEN IT IS A PROVEN FACT, that parenting has NOTHING to do with the condition. Then again, I guess you people know more than the many scientists and researchers.

I agree that ADD does exsist, but not to the degree in which physicians are diagnosing it. I also tend to agree with certain studies that have been linking ADD with certain forms of deslexia.

I have worked with kids for many years, and there have been lots of parents who feel their child has ADHD, but after recommending games and activites designed to increase concentration and short term memeory skills, many of them settle down, and are fine. These are the kids who have been plunked in front of a television, and have had very little interaction with other children or humans until they are placed with me. It's hard to get them to focus, but in the end most of them have done fine. Diet is a huge factor in a childs ability to concentrate, as is the environment they are living in. There are many so many things to consider when looking at add or adhd, a label and medication is not always the best therapy.

eric said:
WHEN IT IS A PROVEN FACT, that parenting has NOTHING to do with the condition.

Proven by whom? The same 'doctors' who tell parents not to spank their kids? The same research done by drug companies making billions of dollars medicating our kids? The same 'experts' who are unable to teach kids outside the 'normal' way of teaching?

blah...adhd? bullshit. Does it exist? Sure...So does penile cancer. The problem is becoming more widespread because 'doctors' and 'experts' are progressively moving AWAY from traditional norms of raising kids, and establishing familes.

-=d=- said:
Proven by whom? The same 'doctors' who tell parents not to spank their kids? The same research done by drug companies making billions of dollars medicating our kids? The same 'experts' who are unable to teach kids outside the 'normal' way of teaching?

blah...adhd? bullshit. Does it exist? Sure...So does penile cancer. The problem is becoming more widespread because 'doctors' and 'experts' are progressively moving AWAY from traditional norms of raising kids, and establishing familes.

And is it a tradition then to BEAT your children into knocking sense into them to not be GAY???? Foolish to believe such a statement as that!

And NOT all doctors are just throwing medicine at children - my Son's doctor didn't want it at all, but recommended it as a part time solution along with Counseling, and wouldn't have to live on it. I don't believe in just giving a child medicine as a cure, but if it could benefit for a short time and get the child help they need, then do it. But I tend to lean towards the advice of a so called Doctor or expert that knows the situation, rather than those that have no clue but opinions. Again, does your child suffer with any of this? I suppose if they did, just beat the shit out of them and they will be cured. By the way, my doctor NEVER once said never spank a child, but plain out spanking or beating them isn't going to cure a damn thing. It might help when they did something they shouldn't have, but spank or beat a child because they can't focus or be attentive in school is bizarre!

Forum List

Back