What's this talk of secession in Texas?

p kirkes

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2006
NW Louisiana
The Dallas Morning News today ran an article about certain politicians and citizens in Texas voicing opinions about secession.

I am not a secessionist. However, the elected officials we voted into office have, in my opinion, betrayed the electorate since 1964. We, the citizens, have indicated we want a balanced budget, nope. We want social security and medicate left alone and solvent, nope. We want these wars of opportunity to stop, nope. We want term limits, nope, we want border security, nope, we want our jobs and factories to stay here, nope, the list is endless. Instead we have more and more government give aways and control of our communities.

So what would I like to see. That the states take back the power they so willingly gave away to the Feds over the decades. This can be done within our constitutional framework.

Our declaration of Independence states: "..........that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and Happiness."

I am not uncomfortable with that proposition. However, the next section of the Declaration of Independence goes on to say, and I paraphrase, - not so fast, make sure the circumstances are grave enough for change. Yes the people will find it easier to suffer than to change the form of government that is causing the suffering, until it becomes too late for change.

I don't think we are there yet, but are accelerating toward that change.

"but when a long train of abuses and usurpations...........evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

I think this change will be manifested in a reduction of Federal Power, a more formal banding of adjacent states as economic or cultural blocks, such as North East, Central, South, Midwest, Southwest, West (including Alaska and Hawaii) or combinations thereof.

What we have now for a society is a far cry from what I envisioned when I started my own family in 1963, a peaceful, prosperous, responsible public and a benign government.

We gave it away, but can we take it back, or is it too late.

This is just the way I feel and see things. Thanks for reading the post.

Regards,

Not to worry, Texas will return to Mexico soon enough.

It is a win win for everyone.

Except Mexico.

Not to worry, Texas will return to Mexico soon enough.

It is a win win for everyone.

Except Mexico.

You might want to do a breakdown of the GNP before talking out your ass next time. It wouldn't be such a win for the US and the insolvent states we prop up.

Otherwise, this argument's been had, and based on sensationalism by the left.

Texas receives more in federal aid than they pay in taxes

Hope Mexico gives them as good a deal

Owning several residences in Texas, plus elsewhere, I think Gunny has a point. Texans, however, are a greedy, cold-hearted breed toward labor in particular and toward non-Texans in general. Nonetheless, I would think Texas generally a better place to live than Mexico, particularly if you have good health insurance in Texas, which is not the easiest thing to do.

I don't hear much talk about it here.

But it does make me wonder, what if a state did vote to leave the union? Would Barry declare war on it?

I don't hear much talk about it here.

But it does make me wonder, what if a state did vote to leave the union? Would Barry declare war on it?

If Texas voted to leave, I think we would help them out the door

You might want to do a breakdown of the GNP before talking out your ass next time.

I do love cheap refried beans and cow meat but I bet Mexico can get them cheaper.

Now Texas attitude, well, you can't put a price on that stuff.

You might want to do a breakdown of the GNP before talking out your ass next time.

I do love cheap refried beans and cow meat but I bet Mexico can get them cheaper.

Now Texas attitude, well, you can't put a price on that stuff.

Can't beat the ego of a state that has so many songs trying to convince itself it's heaven on earth. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back