What's the weirdest thing you ever found at a garage sale?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Bought two old leather doctor's bags at a garage sale for $8 this weekend. When I got home, I found they were packed full of among other things, injectable barbiturates, opioids, and morphine. The drugs were from the 1960's and the box containing the morphine vials still had the tax stamp on it. I boxed them up and called the Sheriff's Department to send an officer out to pick them up for disposal. So they did.

Before that, I found something else about 5 years ago. I asked the lady if she had any military stuff and she pointed out something on the table for a dollar. When I got it home, I did some research on the item I bought. It turned out to be a booster for a World War One artillery round, and was still live.

The booster was designed to be screwed into the round, and then the fuse would be screwed into the booseter. It had a couple ounces of compressed TNT in it so I called the Sheriff's Department to dispose of it for me. They sent two cars and the Head of the Emergency Management Office here to look at it. An officer from the capitol county also sent an officer to take pictures of it. Then they sent a big black truck out to take it away and detonate it in a safe place.

I was at Larry Woolf's auction one night when the slow kid he hired named Lenny bought a box of books for a dollar. It had a family Bible in it and in that Bible were two pre depression 1000 dollar bills and one 500.
Lenny got more then face value from them from a collector. Larry started checking Bibles after that.

Many years ago I know of a guy who went to a garage sale and saw his stolen BMX bike being sold, it was clearly his based on the decals on it and such.

Many years ago I know of a guy who went to a garage sale and saw his stolen BMX bike being sold, it was clearly his based on the decals on it and such.

I had a similar thing happen. My car was stolen, I reported it but figured I'd never see it again. I was in the upstairs, happened to glance out the window and there it was, parked behind my neighbor's.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Bought some VHS tapes at a garage sale one for a dollar each. One of them had a homade sex tape on it, instead of the movie that was supposed to be in the case.

Paid like $5 for some garden stuff I thought the bride might want to clean up and put in hers and spying what I thought was a Rolex knockoff because it was so beat up asked if the woman would toss it into the deal, which she did. I intended to give it to the bride as a gag gift for maybe her birthday or something. Upon further review at home though I began to wonder if the watch was the real thing, and our local jeweler subsequently confirmed it was the real McCoy. We ended up giving it to her brother who couldn't afford a new or used one, but for a few hundred bucks the jeweler guy had it looking nearly like new and the bro-in-law gave it to his wife for Christmas. That was probably 15 or so years ago and to this day he buys me a beer or drink when we're together, always saying something like, "Thanks for the watch."

This one place had some old metal signs for 80 dollars each that said things like "colored water fountain" and "colored restroom only".

Forum List

Back