What's the point of religion when we have education now?

Its like FCC obscenity. You can't define it but you know it when you hear or see it. Virgin birth? Rose from the dead? Lived in belly of whale? Parted the red sea? Talking snakes? Angels? Devils and hell? A heaven where all your dead relatives are? 100 virgins?
Good dodge, but your fixation on your presumptions about me are irrelevant. Your obessessions are the topic.. why you feel compelled to attack other people's beliefs. Are you that insecure in your own that you cannot tolerate any alternate views?

Stop feeling attacked by the therapist trying to help you see you're not being rational. Why you getting defensive? Am I making you uncomfortabe? Dont worry cognitive dissonance will kick in any second now.
Another dodge. Why get personal? The topic is deep enough, without getting into projections.

I suppose this 'discussion' is coming to an end. You are getting pissy, which is fairly typical for people with strongly held religious beliefs. I'm not interested in a religious war, but philosophical musings are a hobby of mine.
I'm having fun. And youre the one who has derailed our little back and forth. Made your reply completely about me hurting your feelings. Now I dont even know what we were talking about. Pussy. Maybe usmb isnt the place 4 u?

I know a lot of people who believe in god and I know it sucks peeing on their fantasies but they are getting to political and interjecting their beliefs on us so they brought it on themselves. If god is why they dont like gays or abortion then first prove god exists. And if the bibles why we defend Israel then fuck that fairytales
You seem to have a lot of irrational hatred for something you don't even believe in... why is that? I don't care what other people believe about eternity, & other abstract concepts, why are you so invested in attacking other people's beliefs? Could it be you are human? Could it be you are continuing the long tradition of defending your 'god' by attacking your opponent's 'god'?
Belief in a lie is bad for people. Too many dummies. Its holding us all back. Look at isis. That's you just on a different level. Grow up. Evolve.

Except that the current modern world was built by the more religious societies of the past.

It was a much more religious America that put a Man on the Moon, and led the Free World though the Cold War to the Post MOdern World you are celebrating so much.

The more secular Europe, despite it's secularism, and being larger both economically, and population wise has been the junior partner is all of that.

Want to compare scientific publications?
We accomplished all that we did only after the enlightenment. We could have landed on the moon thousands of years ago if not for religion.

Dont expect the Muslims to land on the moon anytime soon praying 6 times a day. Lol. But the godless russians and chinese?

Carl Sagan got your fat asses on the moon. No priest.

I'm having fun. And youre the one who has derailed our little back and forth. Made your reply completely about me hurting your feelings. Now I dont even know what we were talking about. Pussy. Maybe usmb isnt the place 4 u?
fine. Have your fun. Good job derailing the discussion. I can always tell when a poster runs out of reason & arguments when he starts getting personal. I'm just not into the flame war shit you guys like. oh, i don't mind some conflict, or a good 'fuck you' if it is warranted, but this is our first interaction, that i remember. I find it very curious that you are comfortable belittling someone you have never met. To me, it just shows immaturity & personality flaws. You like being hateful & abrasive. I get it. But i'm not interested in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ..see you around, :ahole-1:

Y
fine. Have your fun. Good job derailing the discussion. I can always tell when a poster runs out of reason & arguments when he starts getting personal. I'm just not into the flame war shit you guys like. oh, i don't mind some conflict, or a good 'fuck you' if it is warranted, but this is our first interaction, that i remember. I find it very curious that you are comfortable belittling someone you have never met. To me, it just shows immaturity & personality flaws. You like being hateful & abrasive. I get it. But i'm not interested in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ..see you around, :ahole-1:
You freaking hypothetical pussy. You dont even realize it. Sometimes you have to be blunt when talking to irrational people. And I dont know who I'm talking to from post to post. Not always. Maybe I'm not so mean maybe you're too sensitive for this topic. Go to church. They'll tell you what you want to hear.

I know a lot of people who believe in god and I know it sucks peeing on their fantasies but they are getting to political and interjecting their beliefs on us so they brought it on themselves. If god is why they dont like gays or abortion then first prove god exists. And if the bibles why we defend Israel then fuck that fairytales
You seem to have a lot of irrational hatred for something you don't even believe in... why is that? I don't care what other people believe about eternity, & other abstract concepts, why are you so invested in attacking other people's beliefs? Could it be you are human? Could it be you are continuing the long tradition of defending your 'god' by attacking your opponent's 'god'?
Belief in a lie is bad for people. Too many dummies. Its holding us all back. Look at isis. That's you just on a different level. Grow up. Evolve.

Except that the current modern world was built by the more religious societies of the past.

It was a much more religious America that put a Man on the Moon, and led the Free World though the Cold War to the Post MOdern World you are celebrating so much.

The more secular Europe, despite it's secularism, and being larger both economically, and population wise has been the junior partner is all of that.

We accomplished all that we did only after the enlightenment. We could have landed on the moon thousands of years ago if not for religion.

Dont expect the Muslims to land on the moon anytime soon praying 6 times a day. Lol. But the godless russians and chinese?

The Enlightenment based America was still, by your standards, an extremely religious society.

And has been up to, and including today.

ALL of the accomplishments of the modern world have been done by, from your perspective, extremely religious societies.

Carl Sagan didn't put our fat asses on the Moon. The America of the 50s and 60s, working together as a group, united by, among other factors, a common religion put our fat asses on the Moon.

Without the support of all those people of Faith, who you mock so much, the rocket scientists would have been drawing pictures on chalk boards and talking smack in the college bars.

You have done nothing to suport your bigoted claim that religion is holding us back.

Y
You freaking hypothetical pussy. You dont even realize it. Sometimes you have to be blunt when talking to irrational people. And I dont know who I'm talking to from post to post. Not always. Maybe I'm not so mean maybe you're too sensitive for this topic. Go to church. They'll tell you what you want to hear.
Ok, fuck you, too. :D

You can pray for me in your church, asshole. I'm done here. I have no desire to bicker with a preteen in a political forum. You can rail away, now, & i'll ignore you.:321:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that religion is bad or dumb. I'm just saying we've outgrown it. We don't need stories about how the Sun moves across the sky because it's sitting in a chariot. We understand how the solar system works and know that it's actually the Earth revolving around the Sun. We don't need an illiterate Neolithic tribesman's best guess that the first people were made by Sky Father. We understand evolution now. We don't need these attempts to explain why the world is the way it is when we have the real answers to many of our questions.

Isn't it time for us to accept this and move on to bigger and better things now? Isn't it time for Jews to give up their Judaism and its attendant falsified history and ethnic supremacy? Isn't it time for Christians to give up their Christianity and its worship of an executed Jewish convict as the creator of the universe? Isn't it time for Muslims to give up their Islam and its calls for a global theocratic dictatorship? We don't need these things anymore. We can let go. Will you join the rest of the human family in letting go of the past and stepping out into the light of the bright future we can build together?
We do know a lot more about the universe than we did a few centuries ago, but we still cannot answer the basics:
1. HOW did we come about?
2. WHY are we here?
3. WHAT happens when we die?
These are still the BIG questions, that science cannot answer. Oh, sure, some pseudo scientists try, but they merely mask their own religious views in scientific sounding jargon.
All that has happened is a changing of the guard. One religion being replaced by another, through cultural & indoctrinating forces. Instead of christianity, which was the majority religion & world view for most of American history, we have secular humanism. THAT is the current religion, which has assumptions about the big questions of their own. Instead of believing in God or a Creator, they believe life is an accident of nature, with no purpose, & no meaning. They construct complex scenarios about our origins that they have no proof of, & do not even fit with scientific reality.

By the way, 'the rest of the human family' are far & away the smallest minority of beliefs on the planet. Most people have theistic religious beliefs, & do not buy the naturalistic view. Some are confused, because the propaganda campaign has been so successful in promoting the new religion, but reality has a way of bringing us down to earth.

What purpose and what meaning does your life have? That's up to you. What purpose and meaning did Thomas jeffersons life have? A lot more than his slaves and neighbors I suppose.

And considering that history of religion and how most of us were brainwashed with it from birth I find it funny you think athiesm has an unfair advantage on this subject.

The reasons we question the stories of our ancient ancestors is because they dont make sense. And this has been a untrue belief we've held as a species for only thousands of years. We've been around for maybe 1 million. Its just a fad. Lol.

We as humans want to know our purpose. Our purpose is to exist until our sun burns out or a meteor hits us unless we do something to get off this rock. If you'll get on board if we tell you our purpose is to go find god then that's the mission.

And that's OK because my hope is humans never go extinct. I hope we live forever. And we will need to because we will never accomplish your mission.

Remember Bush's "ban" on stem cell research and how that was going to leave US behind?

How did that work out?

Are we behind?

Have secular Europe and Japan and SOuth Korean left US in the dust?

The Enlightenment based America was still, by your standards, an extremely religious society.

ALL of the accomplishments of the modern world have been done by, from your perspective, extremely religious societies.

Carl Sagan didn't put our fat asses on the Moon. The America of the 50s and 60s, working together as a group, united by, among other factors, a common religion put our fat asses on the Moon.

Without the support of all those people of Faith, who you mock so much, the rocket scientists would have been drawing pictures on chalk boards and talking smack in the college bars.

You have done nothing to suport your bigoted claim that religion is holding us back

Watch the new and old cosmos and see how religions have held us back. If you argue with Sagan and Tyson then you won't agree with anything I write.

So watch the cosmos is my answer. If you haven't then you are held back.

You have done nothing to suport your bigoted claim that religion is holding us back

Watch the new and old cosmos and see how religions have held us back. If you argue with Sagan and Tyson then you won't agree with anything I write.

I watched the old cosmos.

Are you aware of the role the church played in the development of the modern university system?

As I have said, all the accomplishments of the modern liberal world you love so much, were done by societies you consider extremely religious.

Remember Bush's "ban" on stem cell research and how that was going to leave US behind?

How did that work out?

Are we behind?

Gordy howe had to fly to california to get stem cell research because its illegal in michigan. So poor people in michigan who can't fly to Cali die. Yes religion holds us back.

Are you aware of the role the church played in the development of the modern university system?

As I have said, all the accomplishments of the modern liberal world you love so much, were done by societies you consider extremely religious.
I know religion existed during the enlightenment and I know a lot of scientists believe in god. So what?

Because everything science believed is only believed after a theory goes through the scientific process. Evolution is believed for example because of facts and logic. Your belief is based on ignorance. You dont know so must be god.
You cannot speak for 'science', only your own subjective interpretation. You believe evolution, not because it is proven, but because you have been indoctrinated to believe it from an early age. You are a product of the educational system. They mix empirical facts with philosophical beliefs & blend them so well it is difficult to distinguish between them.

1. No, we don't ' know' how the earth came to exist. That is speculation and varies from time to time, depending on the popular religion of the day.
2. Why has man agonized about 'purpose' for millennia?
3. Yes, that is the question. Why & what is life? That is what religion tries to answer, even the current, pop religion of secular humanist evolution.
Why does their 'best guess' carry more credibility for you?
Man has agonized over this because we hate not knowing. Long ago we said "must be god" to a lot of things we once thought were gods punishments and blessings. Some still believe that when a tornado hits its god punishing us for gays and abortion.
and now 'we' say, 'it must be evolution', which is just another form of god. It is not empirical truth, or even testable. It is certainly not science. So the angst of man continues, with only the terms changing. The song remains the same.
Evolution makes sense. The creation story does not. Dummy.

You are mindlessly ignorant. What a buffoon.

How did that work out?

Are we behind?

Gordy howe had to fly to california to get stem cell research because its illegal in michigan. So poor people in michigan who can't fly to Cali die. Yes religion holds us back.

ONe person getting one treatment that is going though FDA approval is hardly the US being let behind.

If infant Stem cells had half the potential that advocates said it did, and the US was hindered by it's relatively high level of religiosity, you would expect major breakthroughs occurring in Europe and Asia, leading to a tech gap between US and the more secular them.

Instead the more religious US continues to lead in all scientific fields.

How did that work out?

Are we behind?

Now you're not even trying to make sense.

I know religion existed during the enlightenment and I know a lot of scientists believe in god. So what?

Religion didn't just exist. It dominated.

So what?

My point was clearly stated.

All the accomplishments of the modern liberal world you love so much, were done by societies you consider extremely religious.

You have done very little to support your assumption that religion is holding US back.

How did that work out?

Are we behind?

ONe person getting one treatment that is going though FDA approval is hardly the US being let behind.

If infant Stem cells had half the potential that advocates said it did, and the US was hindered by it's relatively high level of religiosity, you would expect major breakthroughs occurring in Europe and Asia, leading to a tech gap between US and the more secular them.

Instead the more religious US continues to lead in all scientific fields.

Oh they cherry pick what science they believe and which they dont.

I've already had this discussion to go there again. Especially on a smart phone. I give you're right.

So what?

All the accomplishments of the modern liberal world you love so much, were done by societies you consider extremely religious.

You have done very little to support your assumption that religion is holding US back.
Not true. Watch the new cosmos and learn about the ancient Greeks and Arabs and Chinese who questioned religion and religion suppressed their science. Bruno giordiano one example.

So what?

Learn how societies not force fed a particular religion and that dont suppress athiests make the greatest advancements are happier less suicide birth rates abuse ... On every subject atheism is better. I feel like a god knowing the truth and none of you do.

So what?

Learn how societies not force fed a particular religion and that dont suppress athiests make the greatest advancements are happier less suicide birth rates abuse ... On every subject atheism is better. I feel like a god knowing the truth and none of you do.

NO society is more advanced than the US of A.

Forum List

Back