What's the opposite of stigma?

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
I'm having writer's block.

If stigma is a "mark of shame or discredit," what would be a "mark of honor or respect?"

Also, lay versus lie...

I said, "what opportunities lie in my future," but Word suggested "what opportunities lay in my future."

Thoughts?

Also, lay versus lie...

I said, "what opportunities lie in my future," but Word suggested "what opportunities lay in my future."

Thoughts?

Who would want an opportunity that is a liar?

I believe it IS "lay."

And remember, DIAL spelled backwards is LAID!

5 a : to occupy a certain relative place or position <hills lie behind us> b : to have a place in relation to something else <the real reason lies deeper>

In fact, Merriam-Webster's discourages using lay in place of lie.

lay - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

lay has been used intransitively in the sense of “lie” since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since. Generations of teachers and critics have succeeded in taming most literary and learned writing, but intransitive lay persists in familiar speech and is a bit more common in general prose than one might suspect. Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that lie is for people and lay is for things. Some commentators are ready to abandon the distinction, suggesting that lay is on the rise socially. But if it does rise to respectability, it is sure to do so slowly: many people have invested effort in learning to keep lie and lay distinct. Remember that even though many people do use lay for lie, others will judge you unfavorably if you do.

After much deliberation, I have chosen "lie."

The sentence is, "I have to examine what opportunities lie in my immediate future." Lay would be past tense, and as the sentence denotes something that exists in the present and will continue to exist, it requires a present participle tense. Thus, "lie."

Also, lay versus lie...

Thoughts?

Who would want an opportunity that is a liar?

I believe it IS "lay."

And remember, DIAL spelled backwards is LAID!

5 a : to occupy a certain relative place or position <hills lie behind us> b : to have a place in relation to something else <the real reason lies deeper>

In fact, Merriam-Webster's discourages using lay in place of lie.

lay - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

lay has been used intransitively in the sense of “lie” since the 14th century. The practice was unremarked until around 1770; attempts to correct it have been a fixture of schoolbooks ever since. Generations of teachers and critics have succeeded in taming most literary and learned writing, but intransitive lay persists in familiar speech and is a bit more common in general prose than one might suspect. Much of the problem lies in the confusing similarity of the principal parts of the two words. Another influence may be a folk belief that lie is for people and lay is for things. Some commentators are ready to abandon the distinction, suggesting that lay is on the rise socially. But if it does rise to respectability, it is sure to do so slowly: many people have invested effort in learning to keep lie and lay distinct. Remember that even though many people do use lay for lie, others will judge you unfavorably if you do.

All true. Good grammar.

But it does kinda ruin the joke.

:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back