What's the Best War Movie?

I would like to nominate two movies to the discussion.

First, would be "Unbroken" which is the true story of Louis Zamperini.

An amazing story of survival and the human spirit by a downed flyer during WWll

Zamperini was a celebrated Olympic runner who meet Hitler before the war.

He survived a plane crash in the pacific ocean, sharks, weeks in a life raft, years in a Japanese prison camp, disease, starvation, and brutal prison guards.

Secondly, would be a japanese movie called the "The Eternal Zero".

A foreign film based on a best selling novel in Japan. It tells the story of a brother and sister who discover that their grandfather was a fighter pilot during WWll and flew the infamous "Zero" and died during a kamikaze attack.

The pair travel the country and seek out fellow pilots who knew their grandfather. Only to discover a complicated story about him and ultimately themselves. ......... :cool:

Non Fiction: Victory at Sea

Fiction:

The Bedford Incident
(likely because a few years after seeing this film I was stationed on a US Destroyer on ASW Patrols)

Saving Private Ryan (manly because of the opening scene which depicted the heroic effort which actually took place by allied troops on the beaches of France)

On the Beach (a movie Trump and his followers need to watch and consider given his recent foolish comments)

Johnny got his gun & Moby Dick (Both ought to be watched by Trump and his supporters, both offer different but thought provoking plots)

Non Fiction: Victory at Sea

Fiction:

The Bedford Incident
(likely because a few years after seeing this film I was stationed on a US Destroyer on ASW Patrols)

Saving Private Ryan (manly because of the opening scene which depicted the heroic effort which actually took place by allied troops on the beaches of France)

On the Beach (a movie Trump and his followers need to watch and consider given his recent foolish comments)

Johnny got his gun & Moby Dick (Both ought to be watched by Trump and his supporters, both offer different but thought provoking plots)
The movie "We Were Soldiers" is a non-fiction movie. As I stated before, except for a couple of Hollywoodisims, everything is real. There were no fictitious characters in the cast. I knew practically every one who was portrayed and I participated in that battle.
I also like The Bedford Incident and On The Beach.

Platoon was good, and so was Saving Private Ryan. Full Metal Jacket. Hamburger Hill. There are a lot of good war movies. Most of the time I don't watch them often because they are too sad and depressing.

Picking the best war movie is difficult. There have been many good ones:

Saving Private Ryan
Midway
Tora Tora Tora
Pearl Harbor
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Zulu

And though it's pure fiction, I loved Kelly's Heros

I would have added Apocalypse Now, but that didn't have a whole lot to do with the war, more to do with a special unit searching for a specific guy, but it was a good and interesting movie.

Maybe the best war movie strips away the glamor of war perceived by those who never fought.

I was impressed by several anti war films in my lifetime.

The first was ' Paths of glory' directed by Stanley Kubrick. Then there was 'The victors' I was also affected by a little known film called ' Overlord' which was shot in black and white and interspersed with genuine film of war.

Victory at Sea! Not a movie, per se, but the narration, music and actual footage of real combat and real bravery is far and away better than any fictionalized movie. I admit the opening of Saving Private Ryan is well done, but reality of D-Day is, well see for yourself:
Google

or google: Victory at Sea, episode 15
Victory at Sea! Not a movie, per se, but the narration, music and actual footage of real combat and real bravery is far and away better than any fictionalized movie. I admit the opening of Saving Private Ryan is well done, but reality of D-Day is, well see for yourself:
Google

or google: Victory at Sea, episode 15
The minute I saw your post the theme music came to mind. I loved watching Victory At Sea but it's been so long since I've watched an episode. Thank you for spurring my memory.about this great classic series!

And I'm one of those who liked Private Ryan a lot but always preferred D-Day. As a history nut I like the movies that mention perspectives of what the others (both allies and enemies) were experiencing.

New Topics

Forum List

Back