What's the “Best” Dog Breed?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I don't care what these so-called experts say! My Chihuahua is, by far, the best breed of dog anywhere, any time!

1416053043319_Image_galleryImage_Border_Collie_sheepdog_in.JPG

Well, it's not a bad breed and it is a case of “to each his own”.

Read more @ Is the collie really top dog Canine comparison survey rates each breed to work out which really is man s best friend Daily Mail Online

Based on my experiences I'm inclined to agree with the photo/linked article. Border collies rock. Smart, sweet and playful.

The best breed? The one that suits you and your family. :)

Over my adult years my babies have included a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Ripley named after Officer Ripley, Louisiana Catahoulas Jim Dandy and Ruby Starr (certified breeder damn I love these walking sledgehammers to death) two pups from them that I didn't sell Dusty Roads and American Bad Ass; and now my one and only girl is Raven. A Black and Tan Coonhound.

She's keeping me on my toes and I gave in to my husband on this breed. She is one handful. I'd still like another Catahoula in my life though. I am addicted.

Small breeds (non working for the most part) Well no doubt about it. Chichis and poodle min or toy and beautiful and highly intelligent the Japanese Chin.

To the Border. I've never had one. But the ones I have known have been awesome beyond.

There's a tale there pardon the pun about one that wandered into my life when we were on the farm in Zhoda.

But that's for another day.

Based on my experiences I'm inclined to agree with the photo/linked article. Border collies rock. Smart, sweet and playful.

Oh this dog Missy. Well I called her that because I wanted to find her a home compared to my dogs names.

This border. Oh my. She came into my life one summer day. My girls had her cornered on top of a bale. Obviously she'd only been working small like sheep.

My cows were wild ones who just didn't put up with any sort of dog with the exception of my catahoulas. Oh I should mention this was a farm I was on with the owner being the rancher. I just took care of the place out here when I first got to Manitoba.

She did every command. I got her off the bale and to my side and what a brilliant girl she was. Unreal.I have no idea. She must have been lost. No one would give away or dump a dog like this.

We put out flyers from Winnipeg all the way to the border. We advertised in papers. This girl was a loss to someone. We did all we could.

She was worth thousands of dollars of training.

I could look at a calf and she could single it. Dave too. When he realized we had such gold in this dog he tried desperately to convince his wife to let him keep her. His wife wouldn't go for a non sanctioned dog.

Sigh. Missy was gold.

The day she ran after Scarlett a calf I had hand fed from birth because her heart broke that her friend was leaving her was just unreal to witness.

Her brilliance was not to go unnoticed on a farm in the boondocks though.

Herding sheep at a primo attraction out here. Heritage Village.

:)

It's what I do no matter what. I got her star status with the mennos.

Last edited:
The Border Collie is recognized as the most intelligent breed of dog there is. My vet says they are mind reading level of intelligence. No wonder you could look at a calf and the dog would take care of business.

Border collies are too intelligent to be a family dog. They need to work.

The best breed? The one that suits you and your family. :)

Over my adult years my babies have included a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Ripley named after Officer Ripley, Louisiana Catahoulas Jim Dandy and Ruby Starr (certified breeder damn I love these walking sledgehammers to death) two pups from them that I didn't sell Dusty Roads and American Bad Ass; and now my one and only girl is Raven. A Black and Tan Coonhound.

She's keeping me on my toes and I gave in to my husband on this breed. She is one handful. I'd still like another Catahoula in my life though. I am addicted.

Small breeds (non working for the most part) Well no doubt about it. Chichis and poodle min or toy and beautiful and highly intelligent the Japanese Chin.

To the Border. I've never had one. But the ones I have known have been awesome beyond.

There's a tale there pardon the pun about one that wandered into my life when we were on the farm in Zhoda.

But that's for another day.
For me, the best breed is the PBGV.

1. Doesn’t shed a lot. Not completely hypoallergenic but no a shedder like my beagle was.

2. I live in a condo. Dog has to be small.

3. Loves to hunt. I hunt deer. Turns out to be a great tracker.

4. Doesn’t run away. We walk in the woods off leash.

He isn’t perfect. No dog is. Barks. Acts tough around submissive dogs. Bites off more than he can chew. Won’t come when I say come. But doesn’t run away either. Just looks at me. Lol. But that’s good enough. Lol. If he sees someone or something he will run after them or it no matter what I say.

Hes so fn cute!

There is no best breed.
To some people a border collie would be a nightmare breed. Like all herders, they are high energy and need space and exercise.
We have a GSD. Also a working dog. Also high energy and needs space and exercise. She is a very good dog for us. A kind of loyalty you just don't get from almost any other breed. I also like the fact that when I am gone, Bonzi is a safe as a bug in a rug. She is a large female. 72 lbs. Working class. Fiercely protective of Bonzi. Nobody is getting past her.
But for many, a GSD is also a nightmare breed.

Xena.jpg

The best dog breed is the one you adopt from the shelter.
We actually looked at 2 different GSDs at shelters, but it just doesn't didn't work. Both were poorly socialized and became aggressive dogs.
GSDs are tragically one of the highest abandoned breeds in America due to the lack of knowledge of what they are getting into when they get one.
So we got her from a reputable breeder a couple hundred miles away.

The best dog breed is the one you adopt from the shelter.
Totally agree. Like this old fella who was rescued as a pup and lived 13 years….a pretty good run for a lab mix.

Attachments

• 299091BC-E673-426F-A2D5-E198605DA8A6.jpeg
    299091BC-E673-426F-A2D5-E198605DA8A6.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 36
For me, Mutts, hounds, sporting breeds, Terrier breeds.
I thought mine was a mutt but I think he's a PBGV. He looks, acts, just like one. He's the best. So cute and a hunter. Not perfect, but damn close. Love that stupid dog. Yesterday he ran into a neighbors backyard at my aunts. I gave it a couple minutes he didn't come back so I walked back and saw him chasing a coyote. The thing was probably luring him to his death. I scrame and ran so hard and fast at him. The thing ran away he froze. Thank god. Idiot!

There is no best breed.
To some people a border collie would be a nightmare breed. Like all herders, they are high energy and need space and exercise.
We have a GSD. Also a working dog. Also high energy and needs space and exercise. She is a very good dog for us. A kind of loyalty you just don't get from almost any other breed. I also like the fact that when I am gone, Bonzi is a safe as a bug in a rug. She is a large female. 72 lbs. Working class. Fiercely protective of Bonzi. Nobody is getting past her.
But for many, a GSD is also a nightmare breed.

View attachment 594714
Oh yes there is

My breed won

Forum List

Back