What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Turkey -- one roasted and one deep fried
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • St. Andre mashed potatoes
  • Butternut and acorn squash
  • Truffled mac and cheese
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed haricot verts and carrots with morels, bacon and onion
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Homemade ice cream and sorbet
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Various wines, aperitifs, champagne, beer and liquor
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Happy "Turkey Day" everyone.
Good Lord, Xelor. Just how many stoves does it take to get all that on the table, hot, at once?

Happy Thanksgiving!

That's a crazy amount of food. That would feed 70% of the people in the little town we live near.

LOL

FWIW, I'm expecting 24 people and cooking for 30...mainly to make sure I have leftovers and just in case folks bring others and didn't let me know in advance. (My kids will do that at the drop of a hat.)

And I am sure the price of sitting down at your table will include a tirade about Trump....I suggest that your guests bring ear plugs. LOL!
With that many meats, I'm guessing there's more than one table.

...one more thing...for the turkey I got apple sauce....and I love that combination....

So its turkey with lots of apple sauce and potato wedges and lots of salad ....

Very delicious! hmmmmm

Happy Thanksgiving diner everybody!:D
We need a "Yum" button.

Zero deviled eggs! :mad:
I love deviled eggs, and I'm told I make good tasting and innovative ones. (I agree with the former, the latter, not as much insofar as much I do with them is an idea taken from someone else.)

They didn't make the menu because they are somewhat labor intensive, and I was cooking for 30. Making 100+ deviled eggs was not something that fit into the schedule. I'm sure you noticed that much of my menu consisted of things I could put in the oven or on the stove and forget about them for several hours. Space was also something of a factor. I have 3.5 kitchens, but space in the fridges was nonetheless at a premium. Even the one in my bedroom kitchenette was chock full of food.

It'd have been nice to have deviled eggs, but it wasn't meant to be this time round.
Why do you have 3.5 kitchens?

I'm having a fairly large number of people for Thanksgiving, so there's a lot of stuff on my menu, but most of it is fairly conventional.
  • Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Crab cakes/balls (Maryland style) -- fried into balls for appetizers, broiled as cakes for the main meal
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Apple, caramelized onion, bacon, Stilton and spinach salad with a choice of champagne or balsamic vinaigrette
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Fruit tarts
  • Assorted sliced/balled fresh fruit and shaved chocolates folks care to top with whatever liqueur-flavored whipped creams (I set up a "station" next to a small sink with the booze, sugar, chilled mixing containers, a couple blenders, and let folks make the whipped cream of their choice) -- Chambord, Cointreau, calvados, Pastis, mint, sloe, Frangelico, amaretto, coconut, Domain de Canton, Mathilde, Prucia, coffee, and Agwa Bolivia -- and drizzle accordingly with whatever liqueurs suit the individual eating it.
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Of course, having all that food makes for great leftovers for the next few weeks, and there's no way I'm not going to enjoy inventing new things to make from the leftover T-giving meal. Hell, doing that is half the reason I offer to host holiday season gatherings.

Of course, for every joy, there is also some pain; nothing comes for free and without consequences. As goes eating comfort food for six weeks or so, the pain is the extra aerobics one must do to keep fit while eating that kind of food. To do that, from this week to the end of next January, I have to increase my aerobic activity from about 30 minutes of daily running to an hour of rope jumping daily and 30 minutes of swimming laps. I like to eat what I want when I want and my regular exercise regimen isn't designed to burn as much fatty and fattening food as I will be eating between now and New Years. I didn't have to push quite as hard on the aerobic thirty years ago when my metabolism ran much higher, but this holiday season is not the one from thirty years ago, so I gotta do what I gotta do. As I said, nothing's free.

Good Lord, Xelor. Just how many stoves does it take to get all that on the table, hot, at once?

We used four cooktops/stoves and and four ovens.

Happy Thanksgiving!

That's a crazy amount of food. That would feed 70% of the people in the little town we live near.

LOL

FWIW, I'm expecting 24 people and cooking for 30...mainly to make sure I have leftovers and just in case folks bring others and didn't let me know in advance. (My kids will do that at the drop of a hat.)

And I am sure the price of sitting down at your table will include a tirade about Trump....I suggest that your guests bring ear plugs. LOL!

Yes. There was going to be more than one table anyway; I haven't a table that sits 30. LOL

• Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Fruit tarts
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL

Yes. There was going to be more than one table anyway; I haven't a table that sits 30. LOL
A table that seats 30 almost defeats the purpose, I would imagine. Those at the head and foot would need to call each other. Or text.

• Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Fruit tarts
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL

A table that seats 30 almost defeats the purpose, I would imagine. Those at the head and foot would need to call each other. Or text.

LOL Perhaps so. I don't have a dedicated dining room big enough to fit a table for 30, so I'll take your word for it. LOL

Zero deviled eggs! :mad:
I love deviled eggs, and I'm told I make good tasting and innovative ones. (I agree with the former, the latter, not as much insofar as much I do with them is an idea taken from someone else.)

They didn't make the menu because they are somewhat labor intensive, and I was cooking for 30. Making 100+ deviled eggs was not something that fit into the schedule. I'm sure you noticed that much of my menu consisted of things I could put in the oven or on the stove and forget about them for several hours. Space was also something of a factor. I have 3.5 kitchens, but space in the fridges was nonetheless at a premium. Even the one in my bedroom kitchenette was chock full of food.

It'd have been nice to have deviled eggs, but it wasn't meant to be this time round.
Why do you have 3.5 kitchens?

I'm not buying what he is selling. :D 3.5 kitchens? :rolleyes: Puhleese. Internet braggadocio.

"I spent like $2000 on Thanksgiving dinner. I have 3-1/2 kitchens. I take a limo out on New Year's Eve. I am soooo special." So annoying. :tongue-44: I suppose he got his wife a 2000 carat diamond ring for Christmas too.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd most likely be right where I am.

I'd probably have a bit less junk in the house, though.

I only post here because I'm poor and have no life. :lol: I've got nothing better to do, other than maybe watch TV, honestly! If I had some money, I could be in Paris or something. :D Oh well.

:poop:

• Seafood soup
  • French onion soup
  • Pork shoulder
  • Beef short ribs
  • Roast duck
  • Candied sweet potatoes
  • Homemade rolls
  • Collard greens
  • Sauteed cabbage
  • Pound cake
  • Apple pie
  • Fruit tarts
  • Jelly Belly jellybeans

Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL

That brought back memories of my childhood and the hierarchy of seating protocols. The bottom line is that I never even sniffed the vicinity of the main table while growing up and attending family reunion dinners on the holidays. My cousins close to my age and I were always relegated to the card tables and folding chairs where we were dished out portions by our parental units with a little dab of everything...even things like "dressing and giblet gravy" that made us want to hurl....but oh how I coveted and dreamed of one day sitting at "The Table" where all the food was placed in sparkling china and "grown-up" stuff was discussed.........but alas, it never happened. I am still bitter and still cling to those feelings of being left out and how I wish my relatives were still around so I could tell them. Even at nine years old? I am sure that I could have added to the conversation and I could have chosen the dark meat over the always dry white meat and if I wanted extra whip cream on my pumpkin pie? I could have it and not be forced to eat that jelly like cranberry crap that came out of a can and I could have done all of that while watching football.............so glad to get THAT off my chest! LOL!!!!!!

Forum List

Back