What's Obama's doctrine?

"So far, the Obama “doctrine” appears to be that American power should not be used at all. The ferry issue is one case in point. Instead of flexing American muscle as a signal to Gaddafi that we will not stand idly by if the regime threatens our people or interests, Obama’s State Department hired a commercial ferry — and selected an inadequate one for the job at first. That mistake left Americans waiting at the dock for days, while our mighty navy was given no role to play at all.
One cannot claim surprise at this outcome. During the campaign, Obama made no secret of his distaste for exercises of American power, blasting the Bush administration for its “arrogance” and promising to restore our relationships with allies and opponents alike overseas through greater “humility.” While readers puzzle over Allard’s question, allow me to ask another — which international relationship has Obama improved in the past two years in real, tangible terms? Where has his exercise of “smart power” produced measurably better results in increased security or prosperity over that of his predecessor’s much-maligned (and mythical) “unilateralism”?
If there is an Obama doctrine at all — and the vacillating White House responses to various overseas crises strongly suggest there isn’t — it’s that our allies will love us more and our enemies respect us more if we refuse to use our power for our own interests. That’s a standard belief in academia, but as we can see, what works well in theoretical environments doesn’t necessarily make sense in the real world."

What is the Obama Doctrine? « Hot Air

Sat out the whole Afghanistan surge and the Pirate thing..didya?:eusa_whistle:

"So far, the Obama “doctrine” appears to be that American power should not be used at all. The ferry issue is one case in point. Instead of flexing American muscle as a signal to Gaddafi that we will not stand idly by if the regime threatens our people or interests, Obama’s State Department hired a commercial ferry — and selected an inadequate one for the job at first. That mistake left Americans waiting at the dock for days, while our mighty navy was given no role to play at all.
One cannot claim surprise at this outcome. During the campaign, Obama made no secret of his distaste for exercises of American power, blasting the Bush administration for its “arrogance” and promising to restore our relationships with allies and opponents alike overseas through greater “humility.” While readers puzzle over Allard’s question, allow me to ask another — which international relationship has Obama improved in the past two years in real, tangible terms? Where has his exercise of “smart power” produced measurably better results in increased security or prosperity over that of his predecessor’s much-maligned (and mythical) “unilateralism”?
If there is an Obama doctrine at all — and the vacillating White House responses to various overseas crises strongly suggest there isn’t — it’s that our allies will love us more and our enemies respect us more if we refuse to use our power for our own interests. That’s a standard belief in academia, but as we can see, what works well in theoretical environments doesn’t necessarily make sense in the real world."

What is the Obama Doctrine? « Hot Air

Sat out the whole Afghanistan surge and the Pirate thing..didya?:eusa_whistle:

:eusa_shhh:

Too little too late, bod. You have firmly established yourself as way out of your depth.

Well, that remains to be seen because you STILL haven't answered my question as to how many Americans that you say Obama PUT in harm's way have been killed.....:eusa_whistle:

Thanks, I don't mess with retarded responses and logical fallacies.

Sheesh, thanks. I was beginning to sweat. It's hard to explain idiocy to idiots.

Obama is asleep at the wheel. During the initial crisis in Egypt, he was no where to be found. Biden was supposed to help him with his complete lack of foreign policy experience, but we all know how that worked out. And I understand what you mean about explaining things to idiots. People wondered how the Republicans could've had anything to do with a very slight drop in the unemployment since they'd only been in office for a couple months. They think that for anything good to happen in America, politicians have to pass some kind of bill to make it happen. :cuckoo:

The people of Egypt took care of it themselves. What did you want us to do?

Sheesh, thanks. I was beginning to sweat. It's hard to explain idiocy to idiots.

Obama is asleep at the wheel. During the initial crisis in Egypt, he was no where to be found. Biden was supposed to help him with his complete lack of foreign policy experience, but we all know how that worked out. And I understand what you mean about explaining things to idiots. People wondered how the Republicans could've had anything to do with a very slight drop in the unemployment since they'd only been in office for a couple months. They think that for anything good to happen in America, politicians have to pass some kind of bill to make it happen. :cuckoo:

I wouldn't say that about the Egyptians taking care of themselves.

This has already been covered. Here it is again:

Last edited by a moderator:

I suppose President Obama could have stationed Marines there...then high tailed it out after close to 300 of them got killed.

Like Reagan did in Lebanon.

But..think he decided..um..no.

I suppose President Obama could have stationed Marines there...then high tailed it out after close to 300 of them got killed.

Like Reagan did in Lebanon.

But..think he decided..um..no.

I would hate to think that this was something the OP wanted repeated.

The right can't make up their mind. We haven't sent in troops, so Obama is weak and endangering American citizens (how, no one knows). If we had of invaded, they'd be shitting themselves talking about his support for the "Islamofascists".

Forum List

Back