What's Obama's doctrine?

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
"So far, the Obama “doctrine” appears to be that American power should not be used at all. The ferry issue is one case in point. Instead of flexing American muscle as a signal to Gaddafi that we will not stand idly by if the regime threatens our people or interests, Obama’s State Department hired a commercial ferry — and selected an inadequate one for the job at first. That mistake left Americans waiting at the dock for days, while our mighty navy was given no role to play at all.
One cannot claim surprise at this outcome. During the campaign, Obama made no secret of his distaste for exercises of American power, blasting the Bush administration for its “arrogance” and promising to restore our relationships with allies and opponents alike overseas through greater “humility.” While readers puzzle over Allard’s question, allow me to ask another — which international relationship has Obama improved in the past two years in real, tangible terms? Where has his exercise of “smart power” produced measurably better results in increased security or prosperity over that of his predecessor’s much-maligned (and mythical) “unilateralism”?
If there is an Obama doctrine at all — and the vacillating White House responses to various overseas crises strongly suggest there isn’t — it’s that our allies will love us more and our enemies respect us more if we refuse to use our power for our own interests. That’s a standard belief in academia, but as we can see, what works well in theoretical environments doesn’t necessarily make sense in the real world."

What is the Obama Doctrine? « Hot Air

"So far, the Obama “doctrine” appears to be that American power should not be used at all. The ferry issue is one case in point. Instead of flexing American muscle as a signal to Gaddafi that we will not stand idly by if the regime threatens our people or interests, Obama’s State Department hired a commercial ferry — and selected an inadequate one for the job at first. That mistake left Americans waiting at the dock for days, while our mighty navy was given no role to play at all.
One cannot claim surprise at this outcome. During the campaign, Obama made no secret of his distaste for exercises of American power, blasting the Bush administration for its “arrogance” and promising to restore our relationships with allies and opponents alike overseas through greater “humility.” While readers puzzle over Allard’s question, allow me to ask another — which international relationship has Obama improved in the past two years in real, tangible terms? Where has his exercise of “smart power” produced measurably better results in increased security or prosperity over that of his predecessor’s much-maligned (and mythical) “unilateralism”?
If there is an Obama doctrine at all — and the vacillating White House responses to various overseas crises strongly suggest there isn’t — it’s that our allies will love us more and our enemies respect us more if we refuse to use our power for our own interests. That’s a standard belief in academia, but as we can see, what works well in theoretical environments doesn’t necessarily make sense in the real world."

Finally, a wise move.

• Banned
Yes, it's always best to let people threaten and kill your people and not use the resources you have to protect US citizens.

BRAVO!! WAY TO GO!

The only way it could possibly be better would be if Americans had actually been killed...THAT would be a red letter day, wouldn't it, Bod?

Yes, it's always best to let people threaten and kill your people and not use the resources you have to protect US citizens.

BRAVO!! WAY TO GO!

The only way it could possibly be better would be if Americans had actually been killed...THAT would be a red letter day, wouldn't it, Bod?

How many would that be, Allie?

say what ?

• Banned
It seems to me that the person who says it's a sign of *wisdom* to send inadequate ships to rescue our people, who are afraid and in danger, when he has the best navy in the world sitting idly by, must think a person who actually takes action to KILL those people would be even wiser!

I mean, it follows. If someone thinks it's wise to withhold help from endangered Americans, then wouldn't they view it as just plain messianic if something actually KILLED those Americans?

That's the way our Bod seems to roll...

It seems to me that the person who says it's a sign of *wisdom* to send inadequate ships to rescue our people, who are afraid and in danger, when he has the best navy in the world sitting idly by, must think a person who actually takes action to KILL those people would be even wiser!

I mean, it follows. If someone thinks it's wise to withhold help from endangered Americans, then wouldn't they view it as just plain messianic if something actually KILLED those Americans?

How many Americans died, Allie? Give us a number to mourn please.

are you intending to sound cryptic ab ?

Wow. You really are dim, aren't you?

I don't know how to make it clearer.

Someone who applauds our president putting our citizens in danger would cream herself if he actually killed them.

That's all I'm saying. Not that difficult to understand, really.

Here's his doctrine:

Whistleblower: ATF allowed gun smuggling to Mexico
FOX News - Top Stories - Obama: No Guns for Agents in Mexico
Somali pirates kill four Americans | World news | guardian.co.uk

Sheesh, thanks. I was beginning to sweat. It's hard to explain idiocy to idiots.

Wow. You really are dim, aren't you?

Wow. I notice you didn't give me a figure, Allie. So...again. How many Americans have died under this policy of doing nothing. Give us a figure.

I don't know how to make it clearer.

Someone who applauds our president putting our citizens in danger would cream herself if he actually killed them.

That's all I'm saying. Not that difficult to understand, really.

Our president PUT our citizens in Libya and Egypt, Allie? How many have died because of him PUTTING them there?

Sheesh, thanks. I was beginning to sweat. It's hard to explain idiocy to idiots.

Obama is asleep at the wheel. During the initial crisis in Egypt, he was no where to be found. Biden was supposed to help him with his complete lack of foreign policy experience, but we all know how that worked out. And I understand what you mean about explaining things to idiots. People wondered how the Republicans could've had anything to do with a very slight drop in the unemployment since they'd only been in office for a couple months. They think that for anything good to happen in America, politicians have to pass some kind of bill to make it happen. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Too little too late, bod. You have firmly established yourself as way out of your depth.

Forum List

Back