whats it worth to you

If you can read this...

Thank a teacher.

So because we have enough initiative to actually learn how to read we are to provide nice salaries, job security, and unreasonable benefits to people who aren't teaching our children to likewise read?

Has anyone actually disputed that it's good to have a good teacher or to learn? It's this bullcrap idea that every teacher is a good teacher and all of them deserve to be treated equally rather than be rewarded for results that we dispute.

If you can read this...

Thank a teacher.

I was reading before I started school, and always tested off the scale. shouldn't I be thanking my mother for teaching me to read and not giving credit to a teacher who had nothing to do with it?

The truth is this, the teachers who everyone is taking to the cleaners is costing the tax payers 2/5 of what inflation does to the cost of goods over 40 years.

In 1970 the 5000 a student would be 28,000 in 2010 dollars but we only spend 10/11000 depending on who you talk to. thats less that 2/5ths of what inflation says it should cost.

In 1970 i was making 3.00 an hr and I retired in 2006 at 26.00 an hr as a machinist.

so how the hell is a Techer who has a college degree not worth more than a machinist.

Didnt I already clean your clock on this issue?
Didn't I already point out that your statements are false and misleading?
Wages have not kept up with inflation across the board. Why should teachers be different?
A machinist is worth more because society says a machinist is worth more. Fewer people want to do that than become teachers.

I don't see how or where you "cleaned ANYBODY'S clock on this issue".

So.....A machinist is worth more than a teacher because society says a machinist is worth more? Says who? YOU? Certainly not society.

So unless you can back that up I suggest you refrain from speaking on behalf of society.

If you can read this...

Thank a teacher.
I was reading at 3rd grade level (which is to whom that stupid bromide is directed) before I got to kindergarten.

If your kid graduates and can't read at 8th grade level, thank gubmint schools.

Nope. Thank the no good parents who did not get involved in their childrens education. Because THAT'S where 99% of the blame lies.

If you can read this...

Thank a teacher.
I was reading at 3rd grade level (which is to whom that stupid bromide is directed) before I got to kindergarten.

Nope. Thank the no good parents who did not get involved in their childrens education. Because THAT'S where 99% of the blame lies.

You mean the parents that arent in their childrens lives at all? The ones who only live because we have a large segment of our society advocating casual sex with "no consequence"?

Those children?

You mean the parents that arent in their childrens lives at all? The ones who only live because we have a large segment of our society advocating casual sex with "no consequence"?

Those children?

ANY child whose parents fail to get involved in their childrens education. So now tell me you disagree?

What do they pay their taxes for?

It ain't for babysitting that's for sure.

If there's a common trait that nearly ALL scholarly children share is that they have parents who value and who are involved in their education. Kinda like the person who read before you got to kindergarten.

If you can read this...

Thank a teacher.

That is certainly what the bad teachers would have you believe. However, kids spend far more usable time in the presence of teachers than they do at home. Teachers have access to the kids for at least seven hours at the best time for teaching. They are not teaching the kids, period.

They all whine about needing more money (the teachers unions mainly) but riddle me this, why can a private school give a far superior education for so much less money? Hmmmm?

If there's a common trait that nearly ALL scholarly children share is that they have parents who value and who are involved in their education. Kinda like the person who read before you got to kindergarten.

Yes, the curriculum for the kindergarten is vastly different between the private school I send my daughter to then the public school. They actually educate at the private school, not the public.

The truth is this, the teachers who everyone is taking to the cleaners is costing the tax payers 2/5 of what inflation does to the cost of goods over 40 years.

In 1970 the 5000 a student would be 28,000 in 2010 dollars but we only spend 10/11000 depending on who you talk to. thats less that 2/5ths of what inflation says it should cost.

In 1970 i was making 3.00 an hr and I retired in 2006 at 26.00 an hr as a machinist.

so how the hell is a Techer who has a college degree not worth more than a machinist.

It's called supply and demand. There was a bigger demand for machinist than teachers.

duh!

Yes, the curriculum for the kindergarten is vastly different between the private school I send my daughter to then the public school. They actually educate at the private school, not the public.

That is certainly what the bad teachers would have you believe. However, kids spend far more usable time in the presence of teachers than they do at home. Teachers have access to the kids for at least seven hours at the best time for teaching. They are not teaching the kids, period.

They all whine about needing more money (the teachers unions mainly) but riddle me this, why can a private school give a far superior education for so much less money? Hmmmm?

That's a fair question. Here's the answer(s).....

First, private schools are paid out of pocket by the parents, so the parents are natually going to be much more involved and place a much higher value on education.

Second, private schools are picky. They can pick and choose who they want so the students that have more involved parents (and as a result better grades) are the ones that private schools will pick. If you're an average or poor student the school won't take you.

Third, private schools have smaller class sizes (see above) so the teacher/student time ratio is much better.

Fourth, many private schools can still use corporate punishment which was a GREAT motivator for me.

Anything else I can explain?

That's a fair question. Here's the answer(s).....

First, private schools are paid out of pocket by the parents, so the parents are natually going to be much more involved and place a much higher value on education.

Second, private schools are picky. They can pick and choose who they want so the students that have more involved parents (and as a result better grades) are the ones that private schools will pick. If you're an average or poor student the school won't take you.

Third, private schools have smaller class sizes (see above) so the teacher/student time ratio is much better.

Fourth, many private schools can still use corporate punishment which was a GREAT motivator for me.

Anything else I can explain?

First. True, however we also MUST pay for the public school system as well which is why we are fully in favor of vouchers. That way public schools have to compete for students which means quality will go up.

Second, private schools out here are not picky at all. They will accept anyone who can afford to pay.

Third, completely untrue. My daughters class is actually 4 students higher than the public school average. It's not the number of students it's the competency of the teachers involved.

Fourth, what planet do you live on! Corporal punishment will get a teacher thrown in jail and the school sued in a heartbeat. You have no idea what is going on in schools if you truly believe that particular BS.

Try looking at some of the surveys of public school students, they don't know geography, they don't know history, they can't read, they can't write, they are incapable of pointing to a globe and placing their country on a continent. So what exactly are teachers responsible for? They teach kids how to sing and feel good about themselves but little else.

It's called supply and demand. There was a bigger demand for machinist than teachers.

duh!

Its more than that. There is a smaller supply with a hire demand. Not anyone can be a machinist. Teaching is overflowing with candidates. sadly not all of them are good.

First. True, however we also MUST pay for the public school system as well which is why we are fully in favor of vouchers. That way public schools have to compete for students which means quality will go up.

If you have some measure of disatisfaction with your local public school then talk to your local school board. I'll bet you've never been to even one school board meeting, right? They spend hundreds, if not thousands of your local property tax dollars and you probably have no idea how it's spent. Tell your locally elected school board representative you want vouchers and listen to what he or she says. Vouchers are not need or even wanted where I live.

Second, private schools out here are not picky at all. They will accept anyone who can afford to pay.

Not around here. In fact there is only one private school that caters to a strict Baptists.

Third, completely untrue. My daughters class is actually 4 students higher than the public school average. It's not the number of students it's the competency of the teachers involved.

Then you're not getting your money's worth.

Fourth, what planet do you live on! Corporal punishment will get a teacher thrown in jail and the school sued in a heartbeat. You have no idea what is going on in schools if you truly believe that particular BS.

Nope. It depends on the private school. The aforementioned Baptist school explains upfront that they use corporal punishment with at least two staff members present.

Try looking at some of the surveys of public school students, they don't know geography, they don't know history, they can't read, they can't write, they are incapable of pointing to a globe and placing their country on a continent. So what exactly are teachers responsible for? They teach kids how to sing and feel good about themselves but little else.

I don't know who "they" are but I'm guessing you're full of BS if you're attempting to describe your local school system or you live in an area full of nuke plants and paint lead.

Here we have an excellant school system, a VERY active PTA and school board meetings that are generally standing room only.

Around here we care about education, have clean schools and respectful students. And it shows by their test scores. And most of the small towns around us are the same way.

It must suck to live in your area.

Forum List

Back