whats it worth to you

mnbasketball

Mar 4, 2011
If someone could take something that cost 5000.00 a year to provide to you and 40 years later they were providing it to you for double the cost 10,000.00 should you be happy when the over all inflation rate has been 4.2%?

if the price of your govt rose at this rate even though inflation is at 4.2% would you be happy?

Well, the rule of 70 is a rough guide to say when something doubles -- so it tells me to device 70 by 4.2 equals 16.6 years it takes to double.

So providing the same service at double the price 40 years later should be a very good deal.... unless we're talking about computing power or the like, whereby it would be a really bad deal :D

Why on earth would I be happy about being dependent on someone else for 40+ years?

Well, the rule of 70 is a rough guide to say when something doubles -- so it tells me to device 70 by 4.2 equals 16.6 years it takes to double.

So providing the same service at double the price 40 years later should be a very good deal.... unless we're talking about computing power or the like, whereby it would be a really bad deal :D

I would have to agree, that 5000.00 40 years later at 4.2 % would be around 28,000, so you would be getting a good deal, wouldn't you say?

I would have to agree, that 5000.00 40 years later at 4.2 % would be around 28,000, so you would be getting a good deal, wouldn't you say?

Yes, but what is this argument leading to?

Because if applied to the federal government, we're not exactly paying for it. We're letting the next generation pay for it... so our theoretical bill is smaller than it should be. For now.

The truth is this, the teachers who everyone is taking to the cleaners is costing the tax payers 2/5 of what inflation does to the cost of goods over 40 years.

In 1970 the 5000 a student would be 28,000 in 2010 dollars but we only spend 10/11000 depending on who you talk to. thats less that 2/5ths of what inflation says it should cost.

In 1970 i was making 3.00 an hr and I retired in 2006 at 26.00 an hr as a machinist.

so how the hell is a Techer who has a college degree not worth more than a machinist.

so if were not willing to pay what something cost we should just tell the person providing it to you that your going to provide it to me and at the price I want to pay and thats the end of the story.

The truth is this, the teachers who everyone is taking to the cleaners is costing the tax payers 2/5 of what inflation does to the cost of goods over 40 years.

In 1970 the 5000 a student would be 28,000 in 2010 dollars but we only spend 10/11000 depending on who you talk to. thats less that 2/5ths of what inflation says it should cost.

In 1970 i was making 3.00 an hr and I retired in 2006 at 26.00 an hr as a machinist.

so how the hell is a Techer who has a college degree not worth more than a machinist.

Didnt I already clean your clock on this issue?
Didn't I already point out that your statements are false and misleading?
Wages have not kept up with inflation across the board. Why should teachers be different?
A machinist is worth more because society says a machinist is worth more. Fewer people want to do that than become teachers.

Sounds just like the shit a liberal says when they are trying to talk you into thinking they have a clue as to what they are talking about. Why do they do this? Faulty facts. Bad math. Stupid conclusion. Everything about it reeks of the smell of a liberal... Or a union member.

You have fallen into the typical fallacy that most people do. How much was your house worth back when you were making 3 bucks an hour? The problem is inflation, that is what you are comparing here.

If someone could take something that cost 5000.00 a year to provide to you and 40 years later they were providing it to you for double the cost 10,000.00 should you be happy when the over all inflation rate has been 4.2%?

That would depend on what you are talking about. Off the top of my head though, the answer is no.

and this is the problem with those who believe they are right because thats what they want to believe.
The cost of education has not gone up at a rate that is out of the normal. Teachers wages have not gone up compared to what they were making if you adjust for inflation.

Some how you think that because you want a job done and you have fallen on down times that this means that everyone else needs to fall on bad times also.

What really is fair is if you can't pay for 150,000 people at the going rate you should learn to do with less. That is exactly what a business would have to do. But since your in a place where fairness and rules mean nothing and contracts that you have agreed to are just swiped away because you want to, you somehow think this is fair.

Well the govt of the us could just step in and add surtax to your taxes and you couldn't do anything about it, but you would be screaming bloody murder.

All the teachers said was sure times are tough so were going to step up and screw ourselves by taking less and paying more and they haven't even whimpered.

But that isn't enough for the bullies who are in charge for the moment, they believe that they need to try and break the Union they belong to, but not for financial gain to the state but to try and get a political advantage at the polls.

Really you guys are as slimy as they get and I don't care what you think of yourselves, I can only hope this comes back to kick your asses.

and I can assure you I can buy most of you creepy greedy wrong thinking jerks.
YES I'M BETTING THAT GOD SO MANY OF YOU CLAIM MEANS SO MUCH TO YOU WILL REMERBER WHAT JERKS YOU WERE/ and most likely will be. >

Last edited:
Wow... what a pointless rant.

Do you really think insulting people persuades them to listen to you?

why not thats about the only things your side does to every item that is brought up.

It's one rude statement after another as you might notice from mister rude himself.

You don't want to talk about positions, it's just deny and say oh another stupid liberal, but never a conversation.

and this is the problem with those who believe they are right because thats what they want to believe.
The cost of education has not gone up at a rate that is out of the normal. Teachers wages have not gone up compared to what they were making if you adjust for inflation.

Some how you think that because you want a job done and you have fallen on down times that this means that everyone else needs to fall on bad times also.

What really is fair is if you can't pay for 150,000 people at the going rate you should learn to do with less. That is exactly what a business would have to do. But since your in a place where fairness and rules mean nothing and contracts that you have agreed to are just swiped away because you want to, you somehow think this is fair.

Well the govt of the us could just step in and add surtax to your taxes and you couldn't do anything about it, but you would be screaming bloody murder.

All the teachers said was sure times are tough so were going to step up and screw ourselves by taking less and paying more and they haven't even whimpered.

But that isn't enough for the bullies who are in charge for the moment, they believe that they need to try and break the Union they belong to, but not for financial gain to the state but to try and get a political advantage at the polls.

Really you guys are as slimy as they get and I don't care what you think of yourselves, I can only hope this comes back to kick your asses.

and I can assure you I can buy most of you creepy greedy wrong thinking jerks.
YES I'M BETTING THAT GOD SO MANY OF YOU CLAIM MEANS SO MUCH TO YOU WILL REMERBER WHAT JERKS YOU WERE/ and most likely will be. >

I find it interesting that you look at one data point and claim that anyone who disagrees with your assessment is going to regret it in the future.

Personally, I look at everything I can before I make up my mind. When I point out that education spending is out of control I am talking about more than just teachers salaries. The cart here shows spending per student in inflation adjusted dollars, the resultant increase in staffing, which obviously has not gone up as fast, and the totla lack of any impact on test scores.

182894_10100539150180594_8377576_71209127_7907890_n.jpg

So tell me, would you be willing to pay almost double the rate you claimed we are spending, and get nothing in return?

Forum List

Back