What’s Islam Got to Do With It?

Contessa_Sharra

Searcher for Accuracy
Apr 27, 2008
What’s Islam Got to Do With It?

By: Natalie Hopkinson

Posted: November 10, 2009 at 3:15 PM

From the D.C. sniper to Ft. Hood, it’s un-American to blame black people or Muslims for what crazy people do.

Long before bloggers were given front-row seats at Milan Fashion Week, or the president took questions from a blogger at the White House, two writers from the online Underground News Network scored press passes to cover the trial of the D.C. sniper John Allen Muhammad.

The Web site’s editors followed some teachings of Islam and were fervent supporters of Muhammad, whose murderous rampage they believed was riddled with divine meaning. They traveled there to monitor the mainstream media covering the 2003 trial—me included—who didn’t realize that that the shootings were actually “like a message from a high priest” intended to “take black people to a higher consciousness.”

Right…

After I published my interview with this kooky pair, I got an e-mail from a friend who is a journalist of Arabic descent who happens to be Muslim. She joked that it’s bad enough they presented themselves as journalists. They would have to be Muslim, too!

If you are a member of a persecuted group, you know the impulse. That tinge of embarrassment, that damn, why-can’t-we-get-it-together feeling when one of your contemporaries has gone off the rails. Jews know it. Black people have mastered it. And more recently, in the wake of the Ft. Hood tragedy, a whole lot of mainstream pundits are arguing, so should Muslims.

I can’t disagree more. One of the great things about being American is this clichéd notion of rugged individuality. We are not an old society like Europe or India, where your class and identity were established before your mother’s mother’s mother’s mother was born. This idea of personal responsibility and the self-made individual organizes the way we think about ourselves as Americans.

So this idea that blacks/gays/Latinos/insert religious persuasion must take responsibility for whatever evil other blacks/gays/Latinos/insert religious persuasion do is frankly un-American.

With far more nuance than exhibited by our nation’s most prominent pundits, in his Ft. Hood speech last night, President Obama drew a sharp line between religion and individual crazy: “It may be hard to comprehend the twisted logic that led to this tragedy. But this much we do know—no faith justifies these murderous and craven acts; no just and loving God looks upon them with favor. And for what he has done, we know that the killer will be met with justice—in this world, and the next.”

I am all for straight-talk on religion and everything else. But sometimes you just have to call these arguments about the need for the Muslim community to take responsibility what they are: illogical and wrong.

It is particularly patronizing when these kinds of admonishments come from someone outside said persecuted group. I am not going around wagging my finger at my white neighbors, demanding they convene a White People Summit to dialogue about how they can avoid producing another Timothy McVeigh/Unabomber/Charles Manson—or even a George W. Bush. That would be an unfair attack on all decent white people.

And I’m not about to start feeling embarrassed about what the recently executed John Allen Muhammad—or the Underground News Network—decides to do. Neither should Muslims around the world feel guilty or responsible for the deranged behavior at Ft. Hood.

It’s real simple. Want to know why crazy people do what they do? Ask them.
What Does Islam Have to Do with Fort Hood?

funny how this works,, Republican Christians and talk radio were blamed for the shooting of the abortion doc Tiller.. The demoncwatic world bemoaned the fact that Republican terrorists were afoot. even printed a pictures of a black man with a rifle slung over his back, only they didn't show the black, instead the accused white Republicans of being racist. Now they are bending over backwards to ass kiss and convince us this guy didn't murder our soldiers in the name of Islam.. WE mock you stupid asses. Yes we do.

Would he have done it if he were not a Muslim? Probably not. Therefore, it has it's part in the tragedy. Having said that, was it the only factor? No.

So, Islam is not to blame but this dude's perverted view of Islam was a significant factor. Apart from that - he was a recent convert to cowardice.

What's Islam got to do..
got to do with it...

What's Islam...
but a second hand devotion...

:eusa_whistle:

(my apologies, Tina)

Interesting that you should say that, Dr H. I said something very similar in a different thread. So my question to you is 'what is Islam if Islam can be broken?' Hmmm? Well? What is your answer to that little puzzle?

What's Islam got to do..
got to do with it...

What's Islam...

(my apologies, Tina)

Interesting that you should say that, Dr H. I said something very similar in a different thread. So my question to you is 'what is Islam if Islam can be broken?' Hmmm? Well? What is your answer to that little puzzle?

Oh you...

<points finger>

You're good, you...

You are good...

You...

(apologies to DeNiro now)

I don't see how I am apologising for Islam..... I'm keeping it in proportion. Life is rarely black for white.
The problem is that keeping it in proportion is not what the terrorists are about. I'm going to draw an analogy to a historical situation with militant Buddhists.
Oda Nobunaga had problems with the Ikko Ikki Buddhists in Japan. The Ikko Ikik kept stirring up trouble until Nobunaga destroyed their entire area, burning temples and killing all within.
Nobunaga is not the point here, the Ikko Ikki are. Because of the actions of a few militant monks an entire province was put to the torch because someone got tired of the trouble those few caused.
Islam has radical elements.
Worse, one of the tenets of Islam is (apparently) that killing infidels is a good thing.
So the radicals kill indiscriminately and people get tired of the attacks. In turn they blame the entire religion; not too surprising given the tenet above.
That is what Islam has got to do with it. Just like Buddhism drove the Ikko Ikki, so too does Islam drive terrorists.

THe difference is of course the fact that he was motivated by the fact that he's muslim, the call has been put out by the imams to butcher and kill wherever and whenever possible.

And the nexy question will be "so what if he's a Muslim extremist terrorist. Isn't diversity what we are about?" Moderate Dems will not stand side by side with these apologists. Keep up the good work loonies.

What's Islam got to do..
got to do with it...

What's Islam...

(my apologies, Tina)

Oh you...

<points finger>

You're good, you...

You are good...

You...

(apologies to DeNiro now)

Good point. So, in essence, are you saying Robert DeNiro's Waiting? Talking Italian?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXtM8XaSKw]YouTube - Bananarama - Robert De Niro's Waiting[/ame]

One of the great things about being American is this clichéd notion of rugged individuality. We are not an old society like Europe or India, where your class and identity were established before your mother&#8217;s mother&#8217;s mother&#8217;s mother was born. This idea of personal responsibility and the self-made individual organizes the way we think about ourselves as Americans.

So this idea that blacks/gays/Latinos/insert religious persuasion must take responsibility for whatever evil other blacks/gays/Latinos/insert religious persuasion do is frankly un-American.

Anyone like to dispute that argument? Or is it just about shouting insults from the sidelines now?

One of the great things about being American is this clichéd notion of rugged individuality. We are not an old society like Europe or India, where your class and identity were established before your mother’s mother’s mother’s mother was born. This idea of personal responsibility and the self-made individual organizes the way we think about ourselves as Americans.

Anyone like to dispute that argument? Or is it just about shouting insults from the sidelines now?

I'm thinking I'll hang out on the sidelines shouting insults.... "JERK"

Disclaimer: Comedic Post Only.

One of the great things about being American is this clichéd notion of rugged individuality. We are not an old society like Europe or India, where your class and identity were established before your mother&#8217;s mother&#8217;s mother&#8217;s mother was born. This idea of personal responsibility and the self-made individual organizes the way we think about ourselves as Americans.

I'm thinking I'll hang out on the sidelines shouting insults.... "JERK"

Disclaimer: Comedic Post Only.

You've got me at a disadvantage - after all it's more fun to do the yelling :D

One of the great things about being American is this clichéd notion of rugged individuality. We are not an old society like Europe or India, where your class and identity were established before your mother’s mother’s mother’s mother was born. This idea of personal responsibility and the self-made individual organizes the way we think about ourselves as Americans.

as I pointed out,, the libtards didn't have that attitude when they accused all white repulicans of being racists and blamed them for all of talk radio and the killing of Tiller.. you can say hypocrite now,, all the rules change all the time.. now if a Christian had done this,, my god,, let the crucifixtions begin. how shallow can you folks get? doyathink?

Forum List

Back