What's in a name?

changing one's name is hardly a big deal....do it at the courthouse....

in nc you can use an alias as long as you dont intend to defraud anyone

tell that to a 5 year old kid who is mercilessly teased because some idiot parent gave him or her a stupid name.

"It's OK Moonbeam, you only have to put up with being teased and beat up for 13 more years then you can change your name."

My favorite "name" moment was Wojo going (and this is from memory so bear with me)

"For crying out loud, you spell it like you say it. Wojohowitz. What's the problem?"

changing one's name is hardly a big deal....do it at the courthouse....

in nc you can use an alias as long as you dont intend to defraud anyone

tell that to a 5 year old kid who is mercilessly teased because some idiot parent gave him or her a stupid name.

"It's OK Moonbeam, you only have to put up with being teased and beat up for 13 more years then you can change your name."

If you're Franks kid you're punching the shit out of the other kid first if your name is Moon.:lol:

Always remember the "boy named sue" rule.

I have a rather Slavic sounding last name.

There are times when some clerk or other finds (usually its a) herself having to say it out loud.

I often see them tensing up in fear that they will butcher my name.

I often try to lighten their load by telling them that it is pronouced SMITH.

Only about one in three actually get the joke.

If you wonder why you're always being passed over for promotion, then there might finally be a solution... change your name.

People with a name that is more easily pronounced have better prospects of climbing the career ladder, a study has found.

This may explain why we have had Dave and Tony as prime ministers, or why Newt and MItt are vying to be candidates for the U.S. presidency.

Psychologists did a series of tests to prove an ‘easy’ name made people ‘form a more positive impression’ of someone.

Read more: Why having a name that's easy to pronounce could propel you up the career ladder | Mail Online

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Englebert Humperdink did OK, didn't he?

I don't care for the common names....John, Sally, Mary, Michael, etc.........I wanted something different for my own children, but not so damn different that they'd be made fun of....or worse, have a hard time trying to spell their own name.
But sometimes I hear of outrageous names......celebrities are good for that shit.
Apple....for instance......~LoL~

Mortimer...wtf kind of name is that??
Who would name their child that??

And Newt is a creepy name........and Mitt is fucked up too.
Barack is fucked up too.......

I don't care for the common names....John, Sally, Mary, Michael, etc.........I wanted something different for my own children, but not so damn different that they'd be made fun of....or worse, have a hard time trying to spell their own name.
But sometimes I hear of outrageous names......celebrities are good for that shit.

Of course, 'Dabs' takes up seven pages in the phone book.:lol:

Last edited:
This kind of silliness is universal. My mom's grandpa was named Alby Royal. Other names in the family are no better.

My mom got named after two aunts, both with romantic sounding names. When it came to her turn she went as vanilla as she could.

My dad's family always liked prosaic names, but the last name is east european and looks hard to pronounce even though it isn't. I like it, and my dad made it a good one. So I am keeping it.
Are you Orthodox?

Of course, 'Dabs' takes up seven pages in the phone book.:lol:

It does?? :eek:

Taint me......my name isn't really Dabs you know silly.....you knew this already, amirite?? Dabs is made from using the first initials of each of my 4 children.
My real name (Deborah) in Hebrew means "Bee"........and some other nice stuff......~LoL~

This kind of silliness is universal. My mom's grandpa was named Alby Royal. Other names in the family are no better.

My mom got named after two aunts, both with romantic sounding names. When it came to her turn she went as vanilla as she could.

My dad's family always liked prosaic names, but the last name is east european and looks hard to pronounce even though it isn't. I like it, and my dad made it a good one. So I am keeping it.
Are you Orthodox?

Very Heterodox.

Not the least bit Jewish either. I took a class in the language at school because I thought a girl was cute. It was a disaster.

Named my kids average but not all that common names that were used in our family. IE my cousin's name is Clarence. Not common,family name and most people can pronounce it; his nickname is Cliff.

Named my kids average but not all that common names that were used in our family. IE my cousin's name is Clarence. Not common,family name and most people can pronounce it; his nickname is Cliff.

'Average' is kind of an usual name for a kid, much less all of them.

As one who grew up known to parents, siblings, extended family, friends, and everyone else as the nickname for my middle name, I had one suggestion the bride was willing to follow when we named our kids. We would name them what we planned to call them. For example, if we wanted a kid named Randy that's what he'd be named, not Randall. Bill, not William. Jim, not James, etc.

And it worked out fine. Everyone's happy.

Great points. I read "Freakanomics" several years ago and they did a study that showed that blacks with "common names" were far more likely to be employed than those with silly or African sounding names.

But I think people can learn something from this. In naming a child, give them every opportunity you can, even if you think it's hogwash.

Well one can assume it has nothing to do with the individuals name and everything to do with their parents morals and ethics...

One could only assume an individual with the name of "River Phoenix" (for example) would be raised as a hippie..

If you're name is "Laquanna Smith" would assume you were raised by an ignorant mother who was raised in the projects..

I think if a parent wants to "invent" a name then that name should be the middle name - not their first name..

Most names have historical origins...

These days people just make names up..

New Topics

Forum List

Back