What's happened to public schools in America?

ScreamingEagle said:
Also, children's expressions can tell a lot about a child. If she looks sad all the time, she may be...at least regarding her peer environment in school. No kid really likes to be a "loner" all the time. Kids need opportunities to develop their social skills. Perhaps getting her into some organized activity that she'd like outside of school might help her develop positive relationships on her own terms.

This is something that a lot of people just don't understand. She's not sad. She's just got one of those faces. When she first started at this school she was doing fine. Her only complaint was "I just wish people would stop asking me why I'm so sad all the time."

I knew exactly how she felt because I got the same thing when I was a kid. I still get it now except people think I'm pissed off. I was out having a cigarette one day. I literally did not have a thought in my head. I was just standing there, smoking and daydreaming, when a co-worker came out and took one look at me and asked "What are you so pissed about?".

If they had just left her alone. She was 11 years old, we moved in the middle of the school year, after all the trouble she had at the last school she just wanted to fly under the radar. So she kept to herself. She would have adjusted eventually if they had just left her alone. But they couldn't because from what I've read on this thread, teachers today do not have the patience or the desire to get to know kids anymore.

I'm burnt out because there is nothing I can do about it. I can't do anything about the look on her face. I can't do anything about teachers who are too lazy to deal with a kid who's a little different. I can't do anything about teachers who take a kids personality personally and allow their dislike of her to color their judgment in how they treat her. And I can't do anything about teachers who lie.

What happened to public schools in this country when teachers decided that they couldn't control their own classrooms? That every little thing had to be referred to the social worker?

When did every child have to a Stepford Child?

its your own damn fault. You should be a liberal, that way you would have all the answers.

Whats wrong with public schools?
Maybe its your child. If they aren't open minded to gays, or if they stand by a strong work ethic, they need to change.

Forum List

Back