What's for Dinner?

now that it's regularly above 40 degrees i grill almost every day.

Tonight it's grilled portabellas , red peppers, sweet onions, and asparagus with a nice piece of grilled haddock.

Food of the gods ...
FiletMignon.jpg

Yeah, get that bacon crap off them. A good piece of steak doesn't need to be cooked in a cheap piece of fat.

all a good piece of steak needs is a little salt and pepper and about 4 minutes total on the grill.

you like it well done, huh?

lol...i should be more specific.

all a 2 inch thick tenderloin need is about 4 minutes total on the grill. A sirloin obviously takes much less time.

Hamburger gravy, potatoes and peas.

My kids are old enough they don't stick them up their noses like my granddaughter does.

Unless the babysitter has them fed...in which case I'll have hamburger gravy, instant mashed potatoes (instead of real) and peas.

I love the hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes too. They used to serve it for lunch back when I was in high school. I add diced onions and mushrooms though, and for peas I like the LeSueur very young small early peas. They're really tender and sweet.

Hmmm... I just talked myself into having that for dinner tonight... :D

Last edited:
Yummy.

Tonight I'm going to see if the store has any tilapia....I had some last night at a restaurant and now I want to cook it....

I learned on dirty jobs that tilapia are the fish used to clean commercial bass tanks.

Oh well, I really like it. It's something like a cross between bass and perch, only not so many bones (and bigger) than perch. Not quite as dense as bass.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Yummy.

Tonight I'm going to see if the store has any tilapia....I had some last night at a restaurant and now I want to cook it....

I learned on dirty jobs that tilapia are the fish used to clean commercial bass tanks.

Oh well, I really like it. It's something like a cross between bass and perch, only not so many bones (and bigger) than perch. Not quite as dense as bass.

Mmmm... that sounds good too.

Around here on Friday, every bar around with a kitchen, which is most, serves fish. This joint here across the Wisconsin River bridge serves "Blue Gill." My God is that GOOD! Then Saturdays they serve Prime Rib. I always go out for fish, but only once and awhile for the Prime Rib.

Blue gill is yummy. Like perch, it's usually (at least in my experience catching it with my dad) kinda small and pretty bony.

Blue gill is yummy. Like perch, it's usually (at least in my experience catching it with my dad) kinda small and pretty bony.

It can be, but the stuff they serve at the bar is farm raised. You get two fillets and they're huge. Tastes just like Blue Gill though. Really good stuff. Blue Gill has a taste all it's own.

Yummy.

Around here on Friday, every bar around with a kitchen, which is most, serves fish. This joint here across the Wisconsin River bridge serves "Blue Gill." My God is that GOOD! Then Saturdays they serve Prime Rib. I always go out for fish, but only once and awhile for the Prime Rib.

You want a fish fry, make the drive from whatever bumfuck down in WI you're in to another bumfuck down in WI. MJ Stevens is hands down, bar none, the best fish fry in the entire state. You have to wait to get in, because they don't take reservations, but they have an outdoor patio with a full bar, and it's well worth the wait. People wait for up to 2 hours.

It's in Hartford.. But if you're looking for a quiet dining experience, don't waste your time. It's huge plates of fish and booze.

Went to pick up some stuff out of college kid's dorm room Saturday and passed a guy bbq-ing (the real deal, charcoal ;)) two roaster chickens. BOY did they look good, so we had that last night with roasted baby creamer spuds and carrots seasoned w/kosher salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Very, very tasty.

Tonight - pork tenderloin on the grill and . . . . dunno, maybe mashed spuds and green beans. Ooo and applesauce. I'm hungry.

Delmonico steaks on the grill (I like them rare; the fam likes them not so rare (wimps)) are simply delicious!

Yummy.

You want a fish fry, make the drive from whatever bumfuck down in WI you're in to another bumfuck down in WI. MJ Stevens is hands down, bar none, the best fish fry in the entire state. You have to wait to get in, because they don't take reservations, but they have an outdoor patio with a full bar, and it's well worth the wait. People wait for up to 2 hours.

It's in Hartford.. But if you're looking for a quiet dining experience, don't waste your time. It's huge plates of fish and booze.

MJ Stevens in Hartford aye... sounds good. :eusa_drool: That's about a 100 miles from me. Not bad. Do that on the bike. Be there in 45 minutes... :lol:

I'll keep that in mind, because this summer we're going to do a lot of touring around Wisconsin. My son has a fiance from Reno that's never seen any of it. She's never seen the ocean, either east or west coast, and I told her that Lake Michigan looks just like the ocean. Yeah were going to criss cross Wisconsin from bottom to top. There's lots to see in this state. We're starting right around here though with The House On The Rock, then the Dells... etc..

Last edited:
If I want a fish fry, I have to catch, cook and serve it up myself.

Move to Wisconsin... that'll solve that... :D

I'm going to start cooking up that hamburger, onion and mushroom gravy on mashed tatters here pretty quick... :eusa_drool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back