What's for Dinner on New Year's Eve?

I season mine when jaring so I don't have to when I cook it later...

Yeap - she pickled some things like beets and seasoned others like the green beans & tomatoes.
It's quite an art - watched her do it one Fall. They had a huge shelf case in the basement that was always full!
My grandparents did but my Ma wouldn't play that sod busting game she was too cosmopolitan...

Deviled eggs and potato skins for appetizers. I am making a ham, sweet potato casserole, a corn casserole thing, a 3 bean salad and some rolls. Then this thing:Caramel Apple Box Trifle Recipe

'Cept I want to make it tonight and I want to put it into a trifle dish. I am afraid that the caramel will harden or something crazy though.

Also, I want a real vegetable. Something green.

W2B_Subway.com_Silos_ProductMenu_234x140_Turkey_PT.jpg

Subway!

New years Eve ?

May as well share our greatest moments on new years Eve..

Mine was when I was in my 20's and I took my girl out to the crown plaza in Rosemont Illinois $500 dollar suit..

I had it all planned before hand , I put the heart shape necklace in the flowers.on the table over looking ohare airport..

Ran and got her , she was wearing such a cute dress..
Took her to the hotel suite ..I ordered room service..

It took her a while to notice the necklace in the flowers..

But she did:)

After I put it on her and we finished dinner we went down to the lobby and danced ...to the sounds of frank Sinatra...and old jazz music..

I will always remember that new years in 1999

homemade mac & cheese!!!! my #1 comfort food 'cause it's damn cold here in CT & since the days of going out on the roads are long gone...

Got a recipe on the mac you could share? The closest I've come to a homemade mac would be boiling up the elbow mac al dente - draining - adding shredded cheddar a dash of milk - a few bacon bits and then baking in a casserole dish.

sure do. now mind you i use fat free 1/2 & 1/2 (cream), skim milk, & fat free shredded chedder & 'smart balance' spread for a 'healther' version, but you could go full indulgence with the same recipe. i also like to make the cheese sauce a couple hrs b4 boiling the elbows so it really thickens up.

1 (16oz) box of elbows
somewhere around 1/3 c butter
a heaping 1/3 c flour
2 c 1/2 & 1/2
2 c milk
2 (8oz) pkgs cheddar cheese ( the sharper, the better)
salt & pepper
bread crumbs on top if you want.

in saucepan, over med heat, melt butter. gradually stir in flour a bit at a time, stir to get it thick & clumpy.
gradually stir in 1/2 & 1/2 but don't let it burm & continue to grad stir in milk.
cook & stir until thickened, & bubbly. add salt & pepper.
stir in cheese a handful at a time, until all melty & set aside for an hr or 2.

then boil elbow pasta, drain- don't rinse. start oven & preheat to 375 degrees. spray a 9x13 in casserole dish with PAM. fold in & mix the drained elbows into the cheese sauce in saucepan & then pour it all (after mixing) into the casserole pan, spread out evenly & sprinkle some bread crumbs over the top.

bake uncovered about 30 minutes & let stand about 5 minutes before spooning up all that goodness.

homemade mac & cheese!!!! my #1 comfort food 'cause it's damn cold here in CT & since the days of going out on the roads are long gone...

Got a recipe on the mac you could share? The closest I've come to a homemade mac would be boiling up the elbow mac al dente - draining - adding shredded cheddar a dash of milk - a few bacon bits and then baking in a casserole dish.

sure do. now mind you i use fat free 1/2 & 1/2 (cream), skim milk, & fat free shredded chedder & 'smart balance' spread for a 'healther' version, but you could go full indulgence with the same recipe. i also like to make the cheese sauce a couple hrs b4 boiling the elbows so it really thickens up.

1 (16oz) box of elbows
a heaping 1/3 c flour
2 c 1/2 & 1/2
2 c milk
salt & pepper

in saucepan, over med heat, melt butter. gradually stir in flour a bit at a time, stir to get it thick & clumpy.
gradually stir in 1/2 & 1/2 but don't let it burm & continue to grad stir in milk.

then boil elbow pasta, drain- don't rinse. start oven & preheat to 375 degrees. spray a 9x13 in casserole dish with PAM. fold in & mix the drained elbows into the cheese sauce in saucepan & then pour it after mixing all into the casserole pan, spread out evenly & sprinkle some bread crumbs over the top.

bake uncovered about 30 minutes & let stand about 5 minutes before spooning up all that goodness.

Thanks this looks AWESOME and I've printed for use in next couple of weeks! I'd probably go with a medium cheese as opposed to sharp but the rest of it looks spot-on. Even the Smart Balance - that's my go-to though I do keep a cube or two of butter around for certain types of cooking.

Nothing like comfort food when it's cold. I've been making a lot of soups - when no time or not in the mood to cook from scratch .. Bear Creek is pretty good - Just add boiling water and voila!

Don't think they distribute nationwide - kind of a northwest thing (based in Utah I believe) but you can buy off their website and from Amazon. I usually doctor it up just a bit with beef or chicken and some fresh garlic.

Where To Buy | Bear Creek Country Kitchens ®
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bear+creek+soup&tag=ff0d01-20

1 (16oz) box of elbows
a heaping 1/3 c flour
2 c 1/2 & 1/2
2 c milk
salt & pepper

then boil elbow pasta, drain- don't rinse. start oven & preheat to 375 degrees. spray a 9x13 in casserole dish with PAM. fold in & mix the drained elbows into the cheese sauce in saucepan & then pour it after mixing all into the casserole pan, spread out evenly & sprinkle some bread crumbs over the top.

Thanks this looks AWESOME and I've printed for use in next couple of weeks! I'd probably go with a medium cheese as opposed to sharp but the rest of it looks spot-on. Even the Smart Balance - that's my go-to though I do keep a cube or two of butter around for certain types of cooking.

Nothing like comfort food when it's cold. I've been making a lot of soups - when no time or not in the mood to cook from scratch .. Bear Creek is pretty good - Just add boiling water and voila!

Don't think they distribute nationwide - kind of a northwest thing (based in Utah I believe) but you can buy off their website and from Amazon. I usually doctor it up just a bit with beef or chicken and some fresh garlic.

Where To Buy | Bear Creek Country Kitchens ®
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bear+creek+soup&tag=ff0d01-20

it's a lot of food - makes 4 - 6 good size portions & is good heated up a second time in the microwave. just add a tad of milk to help soften it, mix & it's good to go.

it's a lot of food - makes 4 - 6 good size portions & is good heated up a second time in the microwave. just add a tad of milk to help soften it, mix & it's good to go.

Yeah that looks like a lot but a good mac and cheese reheats nice. And with the right kind of tupperware you could also freeze it I'd think.

Yeah that looks like a lot but a good mac and cheese reheats nice. And with the right kind of tupperware you could also freeze it I'd think.

i've never had to freeze it - but you can cut the recipe in 1/2 for a smaller version. a 2-3 qt glass pan will work, & get at least 2 really good portions.

I'll be going with a few really good fiends to Chandler's in Downtown Boise. They recently remodeled and I haven't been in since - nothing but rave reviews. They really put on the Ritz on Christmas and New Years and to get in, we made the reservation a month ago.
Chandlers®

Believe I will select the following from this menu:
https://www.chandlersboise.com/menus/Chandlers-Menu-New-Years-2018.pdf
Prix Fixe: $100 per person

APPETIZER: SEAFOOD TRILOGY
Maryland crabcake, shrimp scampi, and an oyster Rockefeller

SOUP or SALAD: LIMOUSINE SALAD
Crisp butter leaf lettuce, dressed with genuine Roquefort bleu cheese, spiced cashews, shaved crispy shallots, and garlic croutons with Roquefort vinaigrette

MAIN: SURF + TURF
Oven broiled, aged beef tenderloin served medium to medium rare with peppercorn sauce accompanied by a broiled Australian lobster tail, asparagus Hollandaise and potatoes au gratin

DESERT: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ
Double Belgian chocolate with Grand Marnier cream and chocolate sauce

And then the following morning - DrLove begins a one month near starvation diet :)

Sounds Yum! How was it?

We celebrate New Years eve at home these days - and I serve mostly finger foods, cheese plates, wings, fruit (and the obligatory black-eye peas with rice and forks) - but New Years day our traditional feast...
IMG_0331 - Copy - Copy.JPG
IMG_0328 - Copy - Copy.JPG

with non clarified butter. :)

I'll be going with a few really good fiends to Chandler's in Downtown Boise. They recently remodeled and I haven't been in since - nothing but rave reviews. They really put on the Ritz on Christmas and New Years and to get in, we made the reservation a month ago.
Chandlers®

Crisp butter leaf lettuce, dressed with genuine Roquefort bleu cheese, spiced cashews, shaved crispy shallots, and garlic croutons with Roquefort vinaigrette

Oven broiled, aged beef tenderloin served medium to medium rare with peppercorn sauce accompanied by a broiled Australian lobster tail, asparagus Hollandaise and potatoes au gratin

And then the following morning - DrLove begins a one month near starvation diet :)

Sounds Yum! How was it?

We celebrate New Years eve at home these days - and I serve mostly finger foods, cheese plates, wings, fruit (and the obligatory black-eye peas with rice and forks) - but New Years day our traditional feast...
View attachment 170528 View attachment 170529
with non clarified butter. :)

It went solidly into the top 3 of best meals I've ever had. The service was amazing, presentation first rate, setting spectacular and the food AMAZING.
Damn me - I always hesitate to take pictures of food but love looking at them when others post or share with me so I should have taken a few.
You're New Years feast looks AMAZING - :D

Chandlers®

New Years eve has always been about the booze.

New Years day, on the other hand has always been a family meal and my grandparent's house.

This year was whole beef tenderloin, medium rare, whipped potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese and butter, and home made creamed spinach.

Forum List

Back