What's for Dinner on New Year's Eve?

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
I'll be going with a few really good fiends to Chandler's in Downtown Boise. They recently remodeled and I haven't been in since - nothing but rave reviews. They really put on the Ritz on Christmas and New Years and to get in, we made the reservation a month ago.
Chandlers®

Believe I will select the following from this menu:
https://www.chandlersboise.com/menus/Chandlers-Menu-New-Years-2018.pdf
Prix Fixe: $100 per person

APPETIZER: SEAFOOD TRILOGY
Maryland crabcake, shrimp scampi, and an oyster Rockefeller

SOUP or SALAD: LIMOUSINE SALAD
Crisp butter leaf lettuce, dressed with genuine Roquefort bleu cheese, spiced cashews, shaved crispy shallots, and garlic croutons with Roquefort vinaigrette

MAIN: SURF + TURF
Oven broiled, aged beef tenderloin served medium to medium rare with peppercorn sauce accompanied by a broiled Australian lobster tail, asparagus Hollandaise and potatoes au gratin

DESERT: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ
Double Belgian chocolate with Grand Marnier cream and chocolate sauce

And then the following morning - DrLove begins a one month near starvation diet :)

I'll be going with a few really good fiends to Chandler's in Downtown Boise. They recently remodeled and I haven't been in since - nothing but rave reviews. They really put on the Ritz on Christmas and New Years and to get in, we made the reservation a month ago.
Chandlers®

Believe I will select the following from this menu:
https://www.chandlersboise.com/menus/Chandlers-Menu-New-Years-2018.pdf
Prix Fixe: $100 per person

APPETIZER: SEAFOOD TRILOGY
Maryland crabcake, shrimp scampi, and an oyster Rockefeller

SOUP or SALAD: LIMOUSINE SALAD
Crisp butter leaf lettuce, dressed with genuine Roquefort bleu cheese, spiced cashews, shaved crispy shallots, and garlic croutons with Roquefort vinaigrette

MAIN: SURF + TURF
Oven broiled, aged beef tenderloin served medium to medium rare with peppercorn sauce accompanied by a broiled Australian lobster tail, asparagus Hollandaise and potatoes au gratin

DESERT: CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ
Double Belgian chocolate with Grand Marnier cream and chocolate sauce

And then the following morning - DrLove begins a one month near starvation diet :)
Sounds good. If I had the appetizer and salad, I'd be full. I went to a very, very good restaurant with a French chef for Christmas dinner once--had been there the night before for Christmas Eve, and knew enough to tell them to hold the soup and the seafood nibbles app or I'd never be able to enjoy the roast beast.

Sounds good. If I had the appetizer and salad, I'd be full. I went to a very, very good restaurant with a French chef for Christmas dinner once--had been there the night before for Christmas Eve, and knew enough to tell them to hold the soup and the seafood nibbles app or I'd never be able to enjoy the roast beast.

What ya gotta do OL to prepare for a feast such as this is eat light the day prior and then NOTHING the entire day of. Okay, maybe a banana for breakfast just to maintain energy level.

But I should start accompanying you to dinner. Will be happy to take the soup and seafood nibbles off your hands! :smile:

What ya gotta do OL to prepare for a feast such as this is eat light the day prior and then NOTHING the entire day of. Okay, maybe a banana for breakfast just to maintain energy level.

But I should start accompanying you to dinner. Will be happy to take the soup and seafood nibbles off your hands! :smile:
Those two meals were truly memorable. The dessert on Christmas was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth, but when the waiter brought it, he announced it in French, so I don't know except it was a white souffle and then he punched a hole in the middle with a spoon and poured in a white sauce.
I'm drooling just remembering it. Now THAT I could have eaten two of! Light as a feather

Pizza, unless I get the phone call I've been waiting seven months for inviting me over for bread, shrimp and clarified butter.

Pizza, unless I get the phone call I've been waiting seven months for inviting me over for bread, shrimp and clarified butter.
You dip your shrimp in clarified butter like we do lobster? What kind of bread?

homemade mac & cheese!!!! my #1 comfort food 'cause it's damn cold here in CT & since the days of going out on the roads are long gone...

Can someone please explain the clarified butter thing? I know I've had it in restaurants to dip lobster in, but the butter I melt for lobster at home tastes pretty much the same. Does the process make it clearer or prettier and that's about it - no taste difference?

Can someone please explain the clarified butter thing? I know I've had it in restaurants to dip lobster in, but the butter I melt for lobster at home tastes pretty much the same. Does the process make it clearer or prettier and that's about it - no taste difference?
Somebody has sucked the last of the cream from the top...

homemade mac & cheese!!!! my #1 comfort food 'cause it's damn cold here in CT & since the days of going out on the roads are long gone...

Got a recipe on the mac you could share? The closest I've come to a homemade mac would be boiling up the elbow mac al dente - draining - adding shredded cheddar a dash of milk - a few bacon bits and then baking in a casserole dish.

Pork roast with garlic and rosemary from the garden, corn on zee cob and probably some canned green beans from the summer garden....

Yeah, there's little taste difference, if anything it's has less taste.

The process is kinda fun if you've got extra time. I liked to spend it in the kitchen with other people. It's really simple: melt the butter on a very low temperature and then skim off the fat. Mostly it's an extra ten minutes when you don't have to pay much attention and can joke around and stuff. Um, to do it well you probably need a different tool to skim the fat.
It's got a nice color, too.

What's really nice is that when it cools a little it's much more spreadable. I bet, too, it's useful as a base for many many things, but I never got that far.
Oh, and you can pour it if you don't want to dip things in it. That's a big plus. Oh and it's hot, er warm, which is very nice were you in a cool environment (in the middle of winter)..

I like simple things. They don't get enough respect.

Yeah, there's little taste difference, if anything it's has less taste.

The process is kinda fun if you've got extra time. I liked to spend it in the kitchen with other people. It's really simple: melt the butter on a very low temperature and then skim off the fat. Mostly it's an extra ten minutes when you don't have to pay much attention and can joke around and stuff. Um, to do it well you probably need a different tool to skim the fat.
It's got a nice color, too.

What's really nice is that when it cools a little it's much more spreadable. I bet, too, it's useful as a base for many many things, but I never got that far.
Oh, and you can pour it if you don't want to dip things in it. That's a big plus. Oh and it's hot, er warm, which is very nice were you in a cool environment (in the middle of winter)..

I like simple things. They don't get enough respect.

So Moonglow had it about right in 11 words - that boy knows how to cut to the chase! :D Thanks

Pork roast with garlic and rosemary from the garden, corn on zee cob and probably some canned green beans from the summer garden....

That sounds like some damn good eatin' there Bart. My grandma in Georgia used to can their summer veggies in the vacuum sealed mason jars. Damn if that stuff didn't taste even better than the day it was picked!

0001366_canning-jars_441.jpeg

That sounds like some damn good eatin' there Bart. My grandma in Georgia used to can their summer veggies in the vacuum sealed mason jars. Damn if that stuff didn't taste even better than the day it was picked!

0001366_canning-jars_441.jpeg
I season mine when jaring so I don't have to when I cook it later...

I season mine when jaring so I don't have to when I cook it later...

Yeap - she pickled some things like beets and seasoned others like the green beans & tomatoes.
It's quite an art - watched her do it one Fall. They had a huge shelf case in the basement that was always full!

Forum List

Back