What’s Behind the Dramatic Rise in Teen Suicide?

Check the family political proclivities. Good chance they have heard so much moaning and growing about President Trump that they're driven to it. Or is it just despair over the looming Trump and Senate landslides just over 11 month away?

Perhaps.......both.

Check the family political proclivities. Good chance they have heard so much moaning and growing about President Trump that they're driven to it. Or is it just despair over the looming Trump and Senate landslides just over 11 month away?

Perhaps.......both.

Would be interesting to see more recent data, but what I've posted here stops in 2017, so opposition to Trump would only be in effect the two most recent years.

The data shows a rise from 2007/2008. But political proclivities could certainly be one factor, especially when youth are filled with fear, resentment, and anger.

Key findings:

NCHS Data Brief ■ No. 352 ■ October 2019

Data from the National Vital Statistics System
● After stable trends from 2000 to 2007, suicide rates for persons aged 10–24 increased from 2007 (6.8 per 100,000 persons) to 2017 (10.6), while homicide rates declined from 2007 to 2014 and then increased through 2017.
● The suicide rate for persons aged 10–14 declined from 2000 (1.5) to 2007 (0.9), and then nearly tripled from 2007 to 2017 (2.5), while the homicide rate declined 18% from 2000 (1.1) to 2017 (0.9).
● For persons aged 15–19 and 20–24, suicide and homicide death rates both increased more recently during the 2000–2017 period, with the increase in suicide rates beginning earlier than for homicide rates.
● For the total age group 10–24 and for persons aged 15–19 and 20–24, suicide rates surpassed homicide rates during the latter part of the 2000–2017 period.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db352-h.pdf

The study doesn't answer the question that is: What’s Behind the Dramatic Rise in Teen and Pre-Teen Suicide?

Feel free to state some causes of this troubling trend and what can we do about it?

I have a three thoughts:

1) This generation is one that was raised with social media that older generations didn't have growing up or were in their initial phases, plus the technological devices such as smart phones that contributes to this new world. Perhaps this isolates too many youth, where true friendships aren't as developed as in past years, and that technology isolates people more. We don't talk to each other at dinnertime as much, we stare into our i-phones (this objection is certainly not new - when televisions first came out in the middle of the 20th Century, this was seen as the first wave of families starting to become disconnected). And then there is on-line bullying, which brings school-yard bullying into the home that wasn't a factor in years past.

2) There is this mindset being taught and promoted that human beings are a plague on the planet. Environmental concerns have pointed all the ails of this planet (real or imagined) on the existance of humans, and how the world would be better of if human beings eliminated themselves. So you have this generation that is being scared about the world ending due to human existance. That would weigh heavily on the youth that there is no future for them. This has been going on since the '70s but has only become more alarmist in this century.

3) Lack of a spiritual upbringing. Without being rooted in a higher spiritual power (I'll go ahead and say it: God), people can wander around without any basis of hope. That we're mere accidents and have no purpose in life. We've seen each subsequent generation not value being trained in spiritual matters. If the parents don't value church, why should the children? Then each generation becomes less involved in church. Why bother going on when things get tough? Where is hope? What is the value of life?

Anyhoo, just some thoughts of mine. Feel free to share your own...
I don't really know but I have my own theories

1. The imminent destruction of the planet by ignoring the reality of climate change as a result of Republican/ Conservative denial and lies which paints a bleak future for the teens and their children

2. Stagnant wage growth and the systematic destruction of the middle class in favor of the creation of an oligarchy which most teens will not be a part of-due to Republican policies.

3. The prospect of staggering student debt just to get an education that would enable then to compete in the economy-thanks to Republicans

4. The climate of hate and intolerance promoted and perpetuated by republicans, particularly against immigrants and LGBT youth

5. The lack of sufficient health and mental health care because of Republicans.

6. The easy access to guns and the culture of violence created by Republicans

7 The opioid epidemic perpetrated by big pharma and enabled by Republicans

There is probobly more but you get the idea. I'm 72 years old and comfortably retired, happy as hell that I am not a teen in this environment , and worry much about those who are, especially my grand children.
Damn, THIS one is dim..............
You again! ??? Do you have anything besides air between your ears? Is this the best that you can do?

Yes, climate change alarmism. I fear none of it. But who's feeding the alarmism and causing unnecessary angst? The media and the government schools. I've heard much of the same alarmism since the 70s when I was growing up. It's largely the same bunk. We didn't die then, we're not dying anytime soon (barring nuclear holocaust or giant meteors crushing us). The Greta Thunbergs and the rest of the indoctrinated kids need the full scope of history and evidence, not spoon-fed propaganda to fit globalist agendas.
OK so you’re a climate change denier. The fact is that most young people are smarter than you and know the truth. They see the changes and they are anxious. It is people like you who are indoctrinated, but I am not going to litigate that issue here. The subject is teen suicide and I believe that climate and their concern for the future is a factor.

Capitalism has and will always be the best course for upward mobility. Progressivism will always lead to the ruling class elites vs. the serfs. We all have choices to make and are generally better off not having the choices being made for us.
I’m not going to debate Capitalism either and did not take a position on it. Therefore, you’re arguing against something that I never said, so therefore , it’s a strawman logical fallacy. The fact is that wealth and income disparity is growing. The fact is that there was a time when a middle or working class family could get by on one income, and now, more often than not, both parents must work and sometimes more than one job. And while sectors of the economy are on the upswing, not everyone is benefiting from it. Another source of anxiety for young people.

Colleges and universities are overrated and overpriced, especially government schools. A good education means a student will make better decisions, whether it be going to local college (and not living on campu$), better major choices, etc. And there is nothing wrong with trade schools. Not everybody need to go to a university. Many people do quite well in blue-collar jobs (e.g., plumbing and construction) and don't have to suffer unneeded student debt. That is something the progressives have put on students, just to get them riled up over alleged injustices and exploitations.
Another Straw man I did not say that everyone should go to college or that there was anything wrong with trade schools. However, everyone who is qualified to go, and wants to go should be able to. Some professions such as medicine, law, teaching require college. An ambitious and able young person should not be shut out, or saddled with enormous debt. Again, that prospect can instill a sense of hopelessness in them. And this is not just about the students. It is also a matter of the viability of our economy

In my life, far farrrrr more hate comes from the left. Immigrants? You probably mean illegals. The Republicans/conservatives love immigrants who love this country and came legally.
Complete and utter horseshit! Any hate from the left is in response to the hate that is INNITIATED from the right. All hate is not equal, like all violence is not equal. Someone who is attacked and fights back is the victim, not the perpetrator.

And NO I am not just talking about the undocumented. I am talking about all immigrants who are being maligned by right wingers

And LGBT youth? Let's get back to the origin of the thread. Teen and pre-teen suicide drastically going in from 2007-2017. We have only seen a drastic tolerance and advocacy of LGBT displayed in the news media, entertainment industry, and education system. Theoretically there should be fewer suicides with more "tolerance." Tolerance goes both ways. The way the news media, entertainment industry, and education system portrays Republicans/conservatives/Christians in recent times, one would think Republicans/conservatives/Christians would have skyrocketing suicide rates. Maybe future studies might have some data on that.

It's pretty evident that kids have been pushed in sexuality much younger than they ought to be, and that just leads to more confusion. Progressives seem to be using their children as sexual experiments in this gay/transgender nonsense. That might not be going as well as they like. If those kids kill themselves, it's the advocates who pushed them into those lifestyles that are to blame.

More horseshit. Tolerance displayed in the media does not always translate into tolerance in the real world. Life is still hard for LGBT youth and it can push them to self destructive behavior. And the intolerance is not always obvious. LGBT kids are often maligned, bullied and marginalized in subtle ways

And please save the horseshit about Republicans , conservatives and Christians. You people don’t have a fucking think to complain about. If there is any intolerance towards them, it is an intolerance for intolerance. Like violence and hate, all intolerance is not equal.

“Children being pushed into sexuality?” What the fuck does that mean ? “Children as sexual experiments” That is just to fucking stupid. The position that I take is to listen to and take seriously expressions of gender dysphoria or questions about sexual orientation. To be supportive and understanding and give the kids space to find out who they are. It is also to teach children to be accepting and respectful of others who are different. Bullying and bigotry, and shaming children who are LGBT results in suicide.

We have 50 states and they can experiment with things are not of the federal governments business. So leftist states like California can show the United States and the world how great their systems are. How has that been working out for us? Homelessness has skyrocketed. Hard to go through a big city without seeing many homeless camps and heaps of garbage and threats of epidemics. Seems like more dependency, rampant drug use, despair, hopelessness.
Son, the bottom line is that people including children do not have adequate access to health and mental health services. That is a fact. Some states can and do provide services, others can’t or won’t. I’m not going to debate what is and is not the preview of the federal government, or what the best system is, but if you don’t know which party supports universal health care and which does not, you clearly have your head where the sun don’t shine.

The question was, why do kids kill themselves and I offered this as one reason. You’re just making lamb ass excuses, and throwing in homelessness is just a red herring logical fallacy. Some would say Gish Gallop.

Considering your age, then you should note the awful racism in the pre-civil rights victories of the mid-60s, and the LGBT whatever stuff was heavily frowned upon, but you think those were better days for growing up than now. Interesting.
Yet another straw man! I never said those were better days. I am saying that we have different problems today that make the future look bleak in the eyes of young people. Stop making shit up about what I said.

Back to the original topic, what has changed in recent times? There is more "gun control" and "gun-free schools" than ever before. And guns have always been around, what has changed? Think about it beyond your partisan politics.
What has changed is the prevalence of guns, and easy access to them, in relation to all of the factors mentioned above. Gun free zones and tough gun control laws in some states don’t mean shit when you can buy a gun in north Carolina and drive up rout 95 to Newark and sell it out of the trunk of your car. We need uniform gun regulations at the federal level.

I'd say anti social media has a role to play. It exposes these impressionable youngster to some of the worst of human interaction. While shielding the agitators behind either anonymity, or the virtual ganging up on a kid. An embarrassing photo can be sent to thousands in seconds, comments on said photos are spouted with impunity. For these poor bastards, the number of followers, or "friends" they have on their preferred media; are a cold indifferent replacement for actual human interaction. It can bring out the worst in many kids. And the targets of such behaviors dont know of anyway to respond to this. Because at our core; we are social creatures. So when a developing child or teen is ostracized from the pack, and treated visciously... They just can't cope.

I'd also wager a large part to play in these suicides are single mother households with no father around to teach young men how to handle the basics in life. Conflict, adversity, disappointment, failure, loss, and on, and on. These are critical skills one must master as a member of a society. Mastering these skills is what develops character. This latest generation is truly the lost generation. Most of them are just rudderless ships, drifting aimlessly through an uncaring sea.

Yes, climate change alarmism. I fear none of it. But who's feeding the alarmism and causing unnecessary angst? The media and the government schools. I've heard much of the same alarmism since the 70s when I was growing up. It's largely the same bunk. We didn't die then, we're not dying anytime soon (barring nuclear holocaust or giant meteors crushing us). The Greta Thunbergs and the rest of the indoctrinated kids need the full scope of history and evidence, not spoon-fed propaganda to fit globalist agendas.

OK so you’re a climate change denier.

The climate has changed during the duration of this planet. There is no basis for climate alarmism. It's bogus fear-mongering designed to grant globalists powers against the freedoms of people.

The fact is that most young people are smarter than you and know the truth. They see the changes and they are anxious. It is people like you who are indoctrinated, but I am not going to litigate that issue here.

Regurgitating indoctrination talking points does not make one smarter than me. It makes them parrots. It keeps them ignorant. Young people are not taught to think; they're taught to recite bullet points. Young people are not encouraged to look beyond their indoctrination. They have limited years of existence and only see recent history and spoon-fed the rest in indoctrination. They don't grasp critical thinking. They haven't seen how figures have been disputed and manipulated to fit an agenda. They can't see the end-result of their advocacy. They don't understand how they are being used by globalists. When they can learn the entirety of the issue and not regurgitate talking points, then they can get back to me and show me how smart they are. Otherwise, I have no use for parrots.

The subject is teen suicide and I believe that climate and their concern for the future is a factor.

The future for the indoctrinated Gretas of this world is fine as long as they don't allow globalists to control them. If Greta lives long enough, if she doesn't start using an ice-pick on those who darrrrrrrrrre disagree with her indoctrination and if Greta doesn't end up killing herself, she will see the world's climates didn't significantly change and how she was a pawn in globalist agendas. The planet will not become inhabitable in her lifetime and she can have a fine career in whatever she desires to do for a living, veterinarian, blueberry picker, architect, whatever. The future is her's but she doesn't believe it right now because she can't see beyond her indoctrination. But if the Gretas kill themselves, it will be entirely the fault of parents and "educators" who foisted bogus fear-mongering.

Capitalism has and will always be the best course for upward mobility. Progressivism will always lead to the ruling class elites vs. the serfs. We all have choices to make and are generally better off not having the choices being made for us.
I’m not going to debate Capitalism either and did not take a position on it. Therefore, you’re arguing against something that I never said, so therefore , it’s a strawman logical fallacy.

2. Stagnant wage growth and the systematic destruction of the middle class in favor of the creation of an oligarchy which most teens will not be a part of-due to Republican policies.
Whether or not you officially took "a position on it" doesn't matter. I stated the truth about capitalism that it's "the best course for upward mobility." You can admit to liking capitalism, hating capitalism (which is common for self-described "progressives") or pretend to hate capitalism whilst enjoying the benefits of capitalism (also common for self-described "progressives"). You did make a claim out Republicans being the cause of "systematic destruction of the middle class in favor of the creation of an oligarchy" which makes no sense, unless you're talking about when they back-stab fiscal conservatives and join with Democrats in passing legislature than harms capitalism's benefits and overall freedoms, then you might be on to something.

The fact is that wealth and income disparity is growing. The fact is that there was a time when a middle or working class family could get by on one income, and now, more often than not, both parents must work and sometimes more than one job. And while sectors of the economy are on the upswing, not everyone is benefiting from it. Another source of anxiety for young people.

Perhaps you should look to true sources of this. The Government. The Government takes from people through your paycheck, takes from people via sales taxes, takes from people via gas taxes, takes from people via property taxes, it's no wonder people aren't left with very much and have to take two or more jobs and have each family member working. Tax burdens, which keep increasing. Also, government causes inflation. Governments also contribute business to fail and people laid off. False assurances from minimum wage hikes takes away entry-level jobs that youths entering the job market could use. But no, government officials can feel good about each minimum wage increase and not care about job loss (or pin job loss blame on the latest Republican executive as a diversion to escape blame). And ultimately governments can cause a nice $100K retirement saving to be worth $10K over time. That's what Governments do and that's what progressive advocacy does. Let free markets and capitalism do its thing and try not to manipulate job markets and savings and tax confiscations and the like. Let all people, especially the young be able to see the fruits of their labor.

But no, indoctrination from the education system, the media, the left-wing politicians must make the young fearful and envious.

Colleges and universities are overrated and overpriced, especially government schools. A good education means a student will make better decisions, whether it be going to local college (and not living on campu$), better major choices, etc. And there is nothing wrong with trade schools. Not everybody need to go to a university. Many people do quite well in blue-collar jobs (e.g., plumbing and construction) and don't have to suffer unneeded student debt. That is something the progressives have put on students, just to get them riled up over alleged injustices and exploitations.
Another Straw man I did not say that everyone should go to college or that there was anything wrong with trade schools. However, everyone who is qualified to go, and wants to go should be able to. Some professions such as medicine, law, teaching require college. An ambitious and able young person should not be shut out, or saddled with enormous debt. Again, that prospect can instill a sense of hopelessness in them. And this is not just about the students. It is also a matter of the viability of our economy

Then you need to deal with the universities and the causes that are making education cost skyrocketing. And fix that without forcing the public to be burdened with more taxes. Too much taxation is burdensome and can contribute to hopelessness.

In my life, far farrrrr more hate comes from the left. Immigrants? You probably mean illegals. The Republicans/conservatives love immigrants who love this country and came legally.
Complete and utter horseshit! Any hate from the left is in response to the hate that is INNITIATED from the right. All hate is not equal, like all violence is not equal. Someone who is attacked and fights back is the victim, not the perpetrator.

Blinded by your partisanship.
Let me add a common trait amongst self-described progressives... the trait is ENVY and envy is a great motivator of hate that is used against those they despise. It's no wonder self-describes progressives are so violent. All of the violent outfits are born out of left-wing hatred of right-wingers.

Another common trait that should be avoided is PROJECTION. Self-described progressives do it all the time. Pointing at others when they should be looking in a mirror.

Put away envy and hatred. It pours out of you in abundance. It's not healthy.

And NO I am not just talking about the undocumented. I am talking about all immigrants who are being maligned by right wingers

I must be hanging around with a different crop of right-wingers.

Key findings:

NCHS Data Brief ■ No. 352 ■ October 2019

Data from the National Vital Statistics System
● After stable trends from 2000 to 2007, suicide rates for persons aged 10–24 increased from 2007 (6.8 per 100,000 persons) to 2017 (10.6), while homicide rates declined from 2007 to 2014 and then increased through 2017.
● The suicide rate for persons aged 10–14 declined from 2000 (1.5) to 2007 (0.9), and then nearly tripled from 2007 to 2017 (2.5), while the homicide rate declined 18% from 2000 (1.1) to 2017 (0.9).
● For persons aged 15–19 and 20–24, suicide and homicide death rates both increased more recently during the 2000–2017 period, with the increase in suicide rates beginning earlier than for homicide rates.
● For the total age group 10–24 and for persons aged 15–19 and 20–24, suicide rates surpassed homicide rates during the latter part of the 2000–2017 period.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db352-h.pdf

The study doesn't answer the question that is: What’s Behind the Dramatic Rise in Teen and Pre-Teen Suicide?

Feel free to state some causes of this troubling trend and what can we do about it?

I have a three thoughts:

1) This generation is one that was raised with social media that older generations didn't have growing up or were in their initial phases, plus the technological devices such as smart phones that contributes to this new world. Perhaps this isolates too many youth, where true friendships aren't as developed as in past years, and that technology isolates people more. We don't talk to each other at dinnertime as much, we stare into our i-phones (this objection is certainly not new - when televisions first came out in the middle of the 20th Century, this was seen as the first wave of families starting to become disconnected). And then there is on-line bullying, which brings school-yard bullying into the home that wasn't a factor in years past.

2) There is this mindset being taught and promoted that human beings are a plague on the planet. Environmental concerns have pointed all the ails of this planet (real or imagined) on the existance of humans, and how the world would be better of if human beings eliminated themselves. So you have this generation that is being scared about the world ending due to human existance. That would weigh heavily on the youth that there is no future for them. This has been going on since the '70s but has only become more alarmist in this century.

3) Lack of a spiritual upbringing. Without being rooted in a higher spiritual power (I'll go ahead and say it: God), people can wander around without any basis of hope. That we're mere accidents and have no purpose in life. We've seen each subsequent generation not value being trained in spiritual matters. If the parents don't value church, why should the children? Then each generation becomes less involved in church. Why bother going on when things get tough? Where is hope? What is the value of life?

Anyhoo, just some thoughts of mine. Feel free to share your own...

A: Darwinism. Life is hard, and there is suffering and pain in life. When you grow up believing that you have no more real value in this world, than an Ant on the ground, then you end up with suicide as a natural result. Why suffer, if there is no point or purpose to it? Why over come the difficulty of life, if there is no reason to do so?

B: Left-wing hopelessness. Being told over and over that you cannot succeed, that the little man can't get ahead, that the evil rich hold you down, that the billionaires control the universe, and add the endless negativity of left-wing ideology that the American Dream is dead, plus combine that with the increasing use of drugs which has causal links to mental illness.... all contribute to suicide.

C: Social Fabric. Much as you mentioned, lack of friendships.... but this lack of real friendship, is connected more to the break down of the social fabric of society itself. Why do we lack friendships? Is it really technology?

What if the reason for the loss of friendships, has more to do with multiculturalism, and the break down of basic social norms, and standards of conduct..... rather than technology.

I think because the social implosion happened at the same time as the raise of technology, that we attribute a causal link, when in reality the problem is people don't even have standards on how to not be a self-centered jerk to people around them.

We can't even say a 'boy' is a 'boy' because "yeah what if they don't identify as a boy!".... this is why people don't have friends. This is why people would rather be alone than around these mental patients.

And that isn't to say, it's all LGBTQ people... you see the same thing with red necks needlessly provoking people, driving like they were in a bad version of dukes of hazard, and cussing and swearing at people. What for?

Basic standards of conduct. Simple politeness. I'm convinced without any technology at all, we would still be failing apart as a nation right now, because the social fabric itself is ripping apart. Had a Christian guy tell me he was driving on Sunday after church, and the car ahead of him (not at church), had a "honk if you love Jesus" sticker on the bumper. He honked... she rolled down the window, and give him the middle finger.

We laughed about it... but even simple stuff like that... people don't have the most basic standards of acceptable conduct. That's why we live in isolation from each other. Because multiculturalism never works. It consistently 100% fails, every single time.

And by the way to everyone else who claims to be against multiculturalism.... you can't destroy in your culture, in the name of protecting it. Basic politeness, basic standards of conduct, even to those who violate it. Someone else being a jerk, doesn't mean you can be a jerk, screaming about illegals, and flipping people off. That makes you no better than the ones you oppose.

What is the so called american dream anyway? To own a house and raise a family or what? To me it's really a load of bs.

Forum List

Back