What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

I, on the other hand, know exactly what it is.

I also know that most people, both Republican and Democrat, disagree with me, and think that it is acceptable to kill an occasional person who is not guilty of what he is on death row for, simply because he is probably guilty of something.

That is sick. Death because you are guilty of 'something'?

Wsaw-exec.jpg

Don't get mad at him. He's just thinking out loud what the vast majority of Republicans are thinking.

The death penalty has wide support across the entire spectrum of American life. Only a complete idiot would try to make this into a Republican/Democrat issue, which makes it obvious why you are trying to do so.

GALLUP POLL: Who Supports the Death Penalty? | Death Penalty Information Center

The interesting thing is that the more often one goes to church, the less likely they are to support the death penalty.

The interesting thing is that the more often one goes to church, the less likely they are to support the death penalty.
Not surprising, since christian teaching are about love, forgiveness, and mercy.

Let's face it. We are a violent society that sees violence as a solution for violence.

You re-examine the evidence and ABSOLUTELY prove executed guy #456 didn't do the crime.

The libs have been looking for this guy for decades. they haven't found him yet.

They've gotten a few obviously guilty guys off on technicalities, so I guess that's something to be proud of.

I don't see why the standard for avoiding the death penalty should be "absolutely didn't do it," but I'll bite.

Here's just one example. It's from the UK, but I think it's poignant because it helped turn public opinion against the death penalty over there.

Remember, you said I only needed one.

"Timothy Evans in the United Kingdom, was tried and executed in 1950 for the murder of his baby daughter Geraldine. An official inquiry conducted 16 years later determined that it was Evans's fellow tenant, serial killer John Reginald Halliday Christie, who was responsible for the murder. Christie also admitted to the murder of Evans's wife as well as five other women and his own wife. Christie may have murderded other women, judging by evidence found in his possession at the time of his arrest, but it was never pursued by the police. Evans was pardoned posthumously following this, in 1966. The case prompted the abolition of capital punishment in the UK in 1965."

Ummm...why didn't the police suspect the serial killer living next door in the first place.

"Well, I think it's an open and shut case guv. It was clearly someone local and no one else except the husband had motive. Across the road lives a little old lady, there's a greengrocer living next door and a serial killer on the other side. This is almost too easy."

The text also indicates that Christie did kill other people, if I am reading the text right. So there were two killers in the same house, and one of them killed the other's wife and daughter. Sounds to me likethey were in cahoots.

Not surprising, since christian teaching are about love, forgiveness, and mercy.

Let's face it. We are a violent society that sees violence as a solution for violence.

I agree it is not surprising, I just found it interesting because it contradicts the conventional wisdom that Christians are automatically pro death penalty.

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

None.

One of the main reasons I am against the DP.

There are many cases in our history of people being executed with little or no evidence. One that pops out is the trial of Mary Surratt who was tried, convicted, and hung for her involvement in the Lincoln assignation.

Any similarity between justice and this trial was purely coincidental. The Constitution was simply ignored. The defendant was not even allowed to testify. There was only one real witness against her and the defense was not allowed to challenge the witness. Before her execution, a judge issued a writ stopping the execution but it was ignored. Historians who have studied the case have come to the conclusion that we will probably never know if Mary Surratt was guilty of anything other than owning the boarding house where John Wilkes Booth resided.

We have tried, convicted, and executed blacks in the South with no evidence other than they were black. We have seen death row inmates who would have probably been executed by now that were saved by dna evidence. Our history is filled with executions based on questionable evidence. To maintain that the innocent have not been executed is no more than a necessary fantasy needed to maintain a costly inefficient system of dealing with heinous crimes.

Biography of Mary Surratt, Lincoln Assassination Conspirator
Mary Surratt
A History of Blacks in Kentucky: In ... - Marion Brunson Lucas, George C. Wright - Google Books

That is sick. Death because you are guilty of 'something'?

Wsaw-exec.jpg

Don't get mad at him. He's just thinking out loud what the vast majority of Republicans are thinking.

The death penalty has wide support across the entire spectrum of American life. Only a complete idiot would try to make this into a Republican/Democrat issue, which makes it obvious why you are trying to do so.

Hey moron, does the survey ask: if it is acceptable to kill an occasional person who is not guilty of what he is on death row for, simply because he is probably guilty of something.???????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey moron, does the survey ask: if it is acceptable to kill an occasional person who is not guilty of what he is on death row for, simply because he is probably guilty of something.???????????????????????????????????????????????

Context.

Context.

There is no context. Capital punishment MUST be reserved for THE crime of murder. Not shoplifting, j walking or speeding.

You do not have a liberal bone in your body. You are a fraud and a liar. You are a FAR right wing radical, Nazi class.

As many as possible who commit intentional premeditated murder. I still prefer the bringing back of public hangings. I think it would send a psychological warning to blacks who are thinking about murdering whites since lately we are seeing massive black on white crimes.

He is one of your...conservatives...you can keep him and he is representing just fine. He is just to dumb to hide it. Him and Tank.

Context.

There is no context. Capital punishment MUST be reserved for THE crime of murder. Not shoplifting, j walking or speeding.

You do not have a liberal bone in your body. You are a fraud and a liar. You are a FAR right wing radical, Nazi class.

I oppose the death penalty even in cases of murder. I don't think the state should have the power to kill anyone.

Like I said, context. What you are upset about is not my position, it is the one I am against.

USArmyRetired said:
I still prefer the bringing back of public hangings. I think it would send a psychological warning to blacks who are thinking about murdering whites since lately we are seeing massive black on white crimes.

LOL, you just advocated lynchings.

Nope. Just stating that if we had public hangings which is what used to be done, it would send a message to blacks to think twice about what they are contend to do if it is committing murder. Back in the so called good ole days as you put it, blacks didn't commit as many murders against whites as they do today which is rampant across the nation. They new their place back then.

The last public hanging was carried out in Owensboro, Kentucky, in 1936, Look at the spectators.

Rainey_Bethea_hanging_big.jpg

I wish there could be just one more black on white murder...hell, I would take a white on white murder in this case...

Fuck you.

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

No one has been executed by mistake. Ever. Every single one of them was guilty of something and it was their time to die.

The perfect republican.

I oppose the death penalty even in cases of murder. I don't think the state should have the power to kill anyone.

Like I said, context. What you are upset about is not my position, it is the one I am against.

I apologize. I thought you said it IS acceptable to kill an occasional person who is not guilty of what he is on death row for, simply because he is probably guilty of something.

Forum List

Back