'Whatever' Voted Most Annoying Word

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Oct. 7) -- So, you know, it is what it is, but Americans are totally annoyed by the use of "whatever" in conversations.

The popular slacker term of indifference was found "most annoying in conversation" by 47 percent of Americans surveyed in a Marist College poll released Wednesday.
"Whatever" easily beat out "you know," which especially grated a quarter of respondents. The other annoying contenders were "anyway" (at 7 percent), "it is what it is" (11 percent) and "at the end of the day" (2 percent).

"Whatever" — pronounced "WHAT'-ehv-errr" when exasperated — is an expression with staying power. Immortalized in song by Nirvana ("oh well, whatever, nevermind") in 1991, popularized by the Valley girls in "Clueless" later that decade, it is still commonly used, often by younger people.

It can be an all-purpose argument-ender or a signal of apathy. And it can really be annoying. The poll found "whatever" to be consistently disliked by Americans regardless of their race, gender, age, income or where they live.
"It doesn't surprise me because 'whatever' is in a special class, probably," said Michael Adams, author of "Slang: The People's Poetry" and an associate professor of English at Indiana University. "It's a word that — and it depends how a speaker uses it — can suggest dismissiveness."

AOL.com - Welcome to AOL

Great! Now that they know it grates on us, all those annoying little brats are going to use it much more often.

What idiot commissioned such a poll?

Immie

I could see this, my ex used to say "whatever" to me when we were fighting and I would want to hurt something. I think I threw something when he said it to me when I was pregnant. :lol:

All the tepid humor in here... just goes to show how little originality there really is around here.

Forum List

Back