Whatever happened to THIS Republican Party??

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
I heard this mentioned last night somewhere so I looked it up.

It's the 1956 Republican Party Platform. I must say, it is almost shocking.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

Let me just highlight some excerpts:

"The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. (quoting Lincoln)"

"In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative.(quoting Eisenhower)"

"We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people."

"We shall continue vigorously to support the United Nations."

"America does not prosper unless all Americans prosper."

"Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions."

"The Eisenhower Administration will continue to fight for dynamic and progressive programs which, among other things, will:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits."

"The Republican Party believes that the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of the people is as important as their economic health. It will continue to support this conviction with vigorous action.

Republican action created the Department of Health, Education and Welfare as the first new Federal department in 40 years, to raise the continuing consideration of these problems for the first time to the highest council of Government, the President's Cabinet."

etc...

So, maybe in reality it's the current crop of conservative GOP'ers who are the true RINO's

We are having a great sock debate

Is this a case of Dogs in Socks?

Who gives a rip. I found the first post a bore, and this one is no better.

It is more than 50 years on, and the battles are all different now.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience."- George Santayana

la plus ca change, la plus c'est meme chose.

I heard this mentioned last night somewhere so I looked it up.

It's the 1956 Republican Party Platform. I must say, it is almost shocking.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

Let me just highlight some excerpts:

"The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. (quoting Lincoln)"

"In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative.(quoting Eisenhower)"

"We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people."

"We shall continue vigorously to support the United Nations."

"America does not prosper unless all Americans prosper."

"Workers have benefited by the progress which has been made in carrying out the programs and principles set forth in the 1952 Republican platform. All workers have gained and unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 millions."

"The Eisenhower Administration will continue to fight for dynamic and progressive programs which, among other things, will:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits."

"The Republican Party believes that the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of the people is as important as their economic health. It will continue to support this conviction with vigorous action.

Republican action created the Department of Health, Education and Welfare as the first new Federal department in 40 years, to raise the continuing consideration of these problems for the first time to the highest council of Government, the President's Cabinet."

etc...

So, maybe in reality it's the current crop of conservative GOP'ers who are the true RINO's

I like Ike

In the late 50s and early 60s, the conservatives fled the Democratic Party and swelled the ranks of the Republican Party giving us the party we have today. More than 90% white. Anti education, anti science, extreme right, anti gay, anti women's rights. Many of the successes the current Republican Party tries to take credit for was when they were "liberal".
Their current successes include fooling America into believing they are patriotic while talking about secession.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience."- George Santayana

la plus ca change, la plus c'est meme chose.

True, that. While there is a lot of value to what they said, it was said in a different context. While there is a lot I can agree with, there is a lot of what goes on the the party now I don't agree with.

Some things are always true and valuable. A lot of other stuff is compromises meant to insure election in that years discussion only.

Most of this only makes sense in context of what Stevenson was saying.

The generalities haven't changed much. A sensible tax system, spending restraint, an independent federal reserve, treating our enemies with caution and our friends well.

Notice there is no real discussion of civil rights. You want that to contiue?

New Topics

Forum List

Back