Whatever happened to the highbrow forum idea?

Another possibility, which may or may not be more work, is to have a moderator review and approve posts before they actually get posted. That would really cut down on the number of posts in violation, since people would know it's never going to see the light of day. Not to mention that it would discourage nonsense participation as nobody posting nonsense wants to have to wait to see it.

Plus, it would accelerate the need for moderators to be institutionalized.:tongue:

Who says we aren't already.

I can always tell those that haven't acheived much in their personal lives by how much importance they place on their message board membership.

Oops, yes, you are.

That coming from someone who's already posted nearly 800 times in less than two weeks. I'm retired and have lots more time than I was ever able to enjoy before, so that's my excuse. Yours?

LMAO!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Could you try to do more to fit your steroetype?

I wish I had time to sweat out the details with you, but I have a life beyond counting posts.

But Sammy, you're the one who seemed to know all about me. No? At least I had some stats to figure YOU out. :eusa_whistle:

Another possibility, which may or may not be more work, is to have a moderator review and approve posts before they actually get posted. That would really cut down on the number of posts in violation, since people would know it's never going to see the light of day. Not to mention that it would discourage nonsense participation as nobody posting nonsense wants to have to wait to see it.

Plus, it would accelerate the need for moderators to be institutionalized.:tongue:

Who says we aren't already.

Ok, then screening every post would accelerate the need for moderators to be put in straight jackets and rubber rooms.

Ya, can't TYPE in a straightjacket!!!:mad::mad:

(Um....don't ask how I know):redface:

And now Si Modo gets down and dirty without an invitation. Shall we play to rep game again, koMODO?! If I had an attitude and a matching ego as big as yours, I'd start praying in private. I see you enjoy secrecy anyway and much prefer just to lurk.

And now Si Modo gets down and dirty without an invitation. Shall we play to rep game again, koMODO?! If I had an attitude and a matching ego as big as yours, I'd start praying in private. I see you enjoy secrecy anyway and much prefer just to lurk.
Secrecy? OK.

What a sour witch you are.

Secrecy? OK.

I meant your "invisible" mode so no one can tell when you're logged on, bitch. BTW, I gave you a thumbs up rep by accident only. Yep, I really really really do make mistakes, freak, unlike you.

How's rehab going?

That coming from someone who's already posted nearly 800 times in less than two weeks. I'm retired and have lots more time than I was ever able to enjoy before, so that's my excuse. Yours?

I wish I had time to sweat out the details with you, but I have a life beyond counting posts.

But Sammy, you're the one who seemed to know all about me. No? At least I had some stats to figure YOU out. :eusa_whistle:

You've been here long enough to bait a hook.

:clap2::clap2:

Good for you! Maggie!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How I drive my Postcount Higher.:lol:

Secrecy? OK.

I meant your "invisible" mode so no one can tell when you're logged on, bitch. BTW, I gave you a thumbs up rep by accident only. Yep, I really really really do make mistakes, freak, unlike you.

How's rehab going?
Then report me to staff for using the settings this forum affords me.

God, you can find the most insignificant things to bitch about and completely ignore the topic. Your life must be rich with that sour character of yours. :cuckoo:

I DO know you'd be better off if you actually DID ignore me, as you've tried to say you are doing - what is it? - four times now?

Last edited:

You've been here long enough to bait a hook.

:clap2::clap2:

Good for you! Maggie!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How I drive my Postcount Higher.:lol:

Yup and yup. You'll get used to me. Not much sneaks by. If you're half-way civil to me, I'll return with the same.
:beer:

Secrecy? OK.

How's rehab going?

God, you can find the most insignificant things to bitch about and completely ignore the topic. Your life must be rich with that sour character of yours. :cuckoo:

I DO know you'd be better off if you actually DID ignore me, as you've tried to say you are doing - what is it? - four times now?

The thought that other posters in "Ghost" is sorta sexay.:redface:

How's rehab going?

:lol: Guys are funny.

How's rehab going?

It's spooky.

Extra Points for three people wanting a highbrow forum doing exactly what they are complaining should be taken out of said forum. Hooray for Irony. :lol:

Extra Points for three people wanting a highbrow forum doing exactly what they are complaining should be taken out of said forum. Hooray for Irony. :lol:

I thought of that. Too bad (for me) that Si modo is one of the few who knows just the right buttons to push. She would have made an excellent interrogator at Abu Ghraib.

I thought of that. Too bad (for me) that Si modo is one of the few who knows just the right buttons to push. She would have made an excellent interrogator at Abu Ghraib.
Are you 'harassing' me, Maggie? :lol::lol::lol:

Has it been shit canned?

Even though I'd rarely go there, I'm starting to think it would be a good idea.

A forum for intellectual debate with strict rules against personal attacks and perhaps even a naughty word filter (assuming they can be forum specific). I'd even suggest policing the language and tone used to attack politicians.

I think some people find it difficult to hang with the no holds barred nature most of us like and have cultivated here, and in the spirit of inclusion, perhaps the more sensitive members should have a refuge of their own.
There are such lands beyond the horizon where people debate according to rules and are judged by three peers in formal debate. If other posters interrupt their formal debate, they are banned. The free-for-all forums exist all around the formal debate forum and there's even a Peanut Gallery for free discussion of an ongoing formal debate by anyone other than the debaters. A place where name-calling is not allowed, profanity and vulgarity are now allowed....you wouldn't last five minutes.

Has it been shit canned?

A forum for intellectual debate with strict rules against personal attacks and perhaps even a naughty word filter (assuming they can be forum specific). I'd even suggest policing the language and tone used to attack politicians.

I think some people find it difficult to hang with the no holds barred nature most of us like and have cultivated here, and in the spirit of inclusion, perhaps the more sensitive members should have a refuge of their own.

I think that there should also be a parallel low-brow forum where non-intellectuals can make posts and talk about what is being discussed by their high-falutin' brethren.
There is already. It's called The Flame Zone...Manifold's Sandbox!

If we do get a goody-two-shoes forum for formal debate, it should be named after someone else.

Has it been shit canned?

I think that there should also be a parallel low-brow forum where non-intellectuals can make posts and talk about what is being discussed by their high-falutin' brethren.

Yes, and we could drink swill, and burn them in effigy.
Happens in the Flame Zone already.

Agree and concur:

Nothing like putting together a well researched and thoughtful post about the Meaning of Life, and then have some moron bury it under three posts that are each 1000 words long, cut-and-pasted from SF or MoveOn or some Jihaddi's Blog.:evil:

Works both ways, bud. New here? Oops, yes, you are.

I can always tell those that haven't acheived much in their personal lives by how much importance they place on their message board membership.

Oops, yes, you are.
Oh, don't be so confrontational. You can't always do anything. Who are you to judge achievement? Who are you to judge the motives of others?

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.
You could:
  • buy one already going
  • insert the formal part of it as a new forum at usmessageboard
  • absorb its current members
  • allow only existing USMB members to register for the new forum (that already hosts the acquired members)
  • when bannings are necessary, the poster is merely banned from the formal forum, not the whole board.

Works for me.

oh poo on you Modo-----snob lady ! :lol:
Hey, hey, hey! Crimson brought it up!

I'm not necessarily talking about smarts, but the tendency of trolling, baiting and other shit counter-productive to efficient information exchange.

(But, yeah, I guess I am a snob in some ways.)

Adults should mod themselves: We have the Ignore Option.
I use it.

Hey, hey, hey! Crimson brought it up!

I'm not necessarily talking about smarts, but the tendency of trolling, baiting and other shit counter-productive to efficient information exchange.

(But, yeah, I guess I am a snob in some ways.)

Adults should mod themselves: We have the Ignore Option.

Ahhh, if only the world or even just this board worked that way.
Yes. Ignoring one or two posters is not a problem. Ignoring a large group can become cumbersome.

Don’t screw this place up, it is one of the few forums I have not been banned or even infracted on!

Besides even Socrates often got pissed while he perused his sacred art of conversation, see the Symposium. While Alcibiades and others fell flat drunk on their faces dreaming about knocking the phallus' off Hermes statues Socrates kept up the upper crust of the conversation.

You have to have profane to even know what sacred is.
Precisely.

Don’t screw this place up, it is one of the few forums I have not been banned or even infracted on!

Besides even Socrates often got pissed while he perused his sacred art of conversation, see the Symposium. While Alcibiades and others fell flat drunk on their faces dreaming about knocking the phallus' off Hermes statues Socrates kept up the upper crust of the conversation.

So, now you're comparing yourself to Socrates?

WTF ARE YOU DRINKING?????.:razz:
How dare you accuse the great Frogen of over-drinking.

So, now you're comparing yourself to Socrates?

WTF ARE YOU DRINKING?????.:razz:

Frogen is our own drunken philosopher.

As the bottle gets lower, the thoughts get more profound.
Bottles don't get lower. The whiskey left in them gets lower. But it's actually how much he drinks that counts and starts the count down to slurring and drunkeness. One cannot be too drunk.

☭proletarian☭;1825987 said:
Besides---how in the hell would we recognize the place.

Just look for the subforum with zero threads
Jabrones comes close to that now.

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as one of the more vulgar and flame throwing trolls around, I know I'd have no problem respecting the stricter rules of such a sub-forum. But I see your point.

What a completely non-viable idea. Significant participation would require multiple moderators dedicated to one forum only. Mature posters should be allowed to post what they want...with a rapidly progressive penalty for infractions brought before the mod-board.

New Topics

Forum List

Back