Whatabouts

TBH, we aren't looking at homicides in Chicago but the number of shootings.
And still Chicago is ranked 9th in homicides. So apparently people are more deadly shooters elsewhere.

I'm not advocating for guns or gun restrictions, IM2. It's a BS simplistic argument. You just slide right over to Indiana and get the guns. The amount of trauma that is inflicted either by being shot or witnessing the shooting is unreal. What cannot happen is to advocate for the release of the offenders. Yet, people do.

And still Chicago is ranked 9th in homicides. So apparently people are more deadly shooters elsewhere.
There does seem to be a common trait about US cities with high homicide rates.

View attachment 264252

This nation has a problem with high homicide rates. Tulsa is republican and 1/10 the size of Chicago. Funny how per capita is not used in this situation.
As usual you are uninformed.

Black men are disproportionately affected by gun violence.

In the United States, your relative public safety very much depends on where you live, how much money you make, and the color of your skin.
Low-Crime-and-High-Crime-Neighborhoods.png

Domestic shootings disproportionately kill or injure black women.
In 2014, black women were murdered at more than twice the rate of white women. Of black victims who knew their killers, 57 percent were killed by an intimate partner. In more than half of cases where the weapon could be identified, black women were killed with a firearm, according to this report.

Most mass shooting victims are black.
A New York Times analysis of shootings that killed or wounded four or more people in 2015 found that two-thirds of the victims were black. Seventy-two percent of the victims were men.

18 Facts About Gun Violence and 6 Promising Ways to Reduce the Suffering

Blacks and Hispanics are more prone to maternal mortality as well. Also Blacks are more prone to die during childbirth.
The CDC now estimates that 700 to 900 new and expectant mothers die in the U.S. each year, and an additional 500,000 women experience life-threatening postpartum complications. More than half of these deaths and near deaths are from preventable causes, and a disproportionate number of the women suffering are black.

Put simply, for black women far more than for white women, giving birth can amount to a death sentence. African American women are three to four times more likely to die during or after delivery than are white women. According to the World Health Organization, their odds of surviving childbirth are comparable to those of women in countries such as Mexico and Uzbekistan, where significant proportions of the population live in poverty.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/america-is-failing-its-black-mothers/

They pick on Chicago because its in a Blue State, but ignore St. Louis because its in a red state on Fox news.
That’s not true. Chicago has eye popping number of shootings and killings, so it gets the media coverage and more attention.
What’s the Homicide Capital of America? Murder Rates in U.S. Cities, Ranked

Also Chicago has about 9X more people than St. Louis.
Yes Chicago is much larger population wise. As such, the murder rate per 100,000 is lower than many smaller cities. So?

Let us observe the actual practice of the whatabout here at USMB.

WHATABOUT: (noun) a person who distracts from a salient point by using a false equivalency or a marginally related, tangential point.

Example: Whatabouts always say: “I don’t mind NFL players protesting injustice. But what about the troops who fight for our freedoms?”

The 2019 List of Things Black People Are Too Ashamed to Talk About

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

They are your friends, neighbors and coworkers. They lurk in the shadows bouncing back and forth on the balls of their feet like a skilled double-dutch dancer ready to hop between the twirling ropes and derail any conversation about race, police brutality, politics, or white supremacy. They are opinionated, they are relentless, and they are everywhere.

Whether it’s black-on-black crime or illegal immigration, whatabouts maintain that the negro retina is blind to certain facts that would disprove the existence of racism and officially certify America as a post-racial society. They actually believe black people refuse to acknowledge or admit we have shortcomings.

So, in an attempt at becoming more efficient, we’ve compiled this handy-dandy list of oft-used topics raised repeatedly by black conservatives, Facebook trolls and people who once fantasized about living in the apartment across from Ross, Chandler, and Joey. Feel free to bookmark this link and forward it whenever a random whatabout employs this technique in an argument to make themselves look smart or feel like they’re not a part of the problem.

https://www.theroot.com/the-2019-list-of-things-black-people-are-too-ashamed-to-1831439323
Sorry-I don't buy half that story. If whites don't know what blacks think. then surely blacks don't know what whites think. And the free labor built America is a crock-most of America's worth came from the mechanized north-by paid people. So, whatabout that?

I'm not advocating for guns or gun restrictions, IM2. It's a BS simplistic argument. You just slide right over to Indiana and get the guns. The amount of trauma that is inflicted either by being shot or witnessing the shooting is unreal. What cannot happen is to advocate for the release of the offenders. Yet, people do.

It appears that if guns are purchased in Indiana that something should be done to stop that. I am also saying that 9 other cities are more dangerous. The people in the affected communities have been proposing solutions to this problem for at least 30 years but of course the experts are the people who don't live in these communities.

WHATABOUT: (noun) a person who distracts from a salient point by using a false equivalency or a marginally related, tangential point.

Example: Whatabouts always say: “I don’t mind NFL players protesting injustice. But what about the troops who fight for our freedoms?”

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

They are your friends, neighbors and coworkers. They lurk in the shadows bouncing back and forth on the balls of their feet like a skilled double-dutch dancer ready to hop between the twirling ropes and derail any conversation about race, police brutality, politics, or white supremacy. They are opinionated, they are relentless, and they are everywhere.

Whether it’s black-on-black crime or illegal immigration, whatabouts maintain that the negro retina is blind to certain facts that would disprove the existence of racism and officially certify America as a post-racial society. They actually believe black people refuse to acknowledge or admit we have shortcomings.

So, in an attempt at becoming more efficient, we’ve compiled this handy-dandy list of oft-used topics raised repeatedly by black conservatives, Facebook trolls and people who once fantasized about living in the apartment across from Ross, Chandler, and Joey. Feel free to bookmark this link and forward it whenever a random whatabout employs this technique in an argument to make themselves look smart or feel like they’re not a part of the problem.

https://www.theroot.com/the-2019-list-of-things-black-people-are-too-ashamed-to-1831439323
Sorry-I don't buy half that story. If whites don't know what blacks think. then surely blacks don't know what whites think. And the free labor built America is a crock-most of America's worth came from the mechanized north-by paid people. So, whatabout that?

IM2 claims to know what all whites think. He really does. :rolleyes:

It appears that if guns are purchased in Indiana that something should be done to stop that. I am also saying that 9 other cities are more dangerous. The people in the affected communities have been proposing solutions to this problem for at least 30 years but of course the experts are the people who don't live in these communities.
Tell us your solutions.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

Wrong.

Now the problem with your opinion is that since whites outnumber blacks 5:1 and that the various institutions in this country are controlled by whites, we are taught by whites what they think. Whites can avoid social or other contact with blacks while blacks cannot do the same. The north had slaves also.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

IM2 has made no such claim.

Tell us your solutions.

No.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

Wrong.

Now the problem with your opinion is that since whites outnumber blacks 5:1 and that the various institutions in this country are controlled by whites, we are taught by whites what they think. Whites can avoid social or other contact with blacks while blacks cannot do the same. The north had slaves also.
You mean your opinion about my opinion-what do whites think about blacks if they never met one? Is it different from mine that has been to school with, worked next to, worked for, had work for, taught in school. What if I married a black? What about a half black woman, half black man?. Most mechanized work done in the north was by non slaves. But, if you want to keep your " I know what whites think", I don't want to pop your balloon.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

Wrong.

You mean your opinion about my opinion-what do whites think about blacks if they never met one? Is it different from mine that has been to school with, worked next to, worked for, had work for, taught in school. What if I married a black? What about a half black woman, half black man?. Most mechanized work done in the north was by non slaves. But, if you want to keep your " I know what whites think", I don't want to pop your balloon.
He thinks he knows a lot about white attitudes, but his posts fail to reflect this.

I have yet to find an ardent racist like IQ2, capable of intelligent thought.

State rights yada yada. Cities are not stand alone fortresses. The 9 other cities have similar policies. The St. Louis referenced is on the Illinois side so you have the same state wide policies.St. Louis, MO, is technically not that far behind. Baltimore is your number one. For now. That could change quickly because of whatever gang has a problem with another gang. They have the same problems as Chicago because they have the same policies. Release, release, release. Juveniles aren't detained. Most of overall crimes occur after school hours and the weekends and summers (heat). The experts are foundations (billionaires) and roll out policies nationwide by flashing cash. They run their own numbers and spew their own crap. Get this--most places (jails, prisons, courts) use algorithms in an attempt to determine if an individual will commit another crime.

The Chicago argument is used due to a misconception that Chicago has the toughest gun laws. That is an inaccurate argument from the get go due to McDonald v Chicago (2010) which led to the incorporation of the 2nd Amendment. Easy Peasy McDonald v. City of Chicago | law case The entire argument can be shut down in one sentence. Anything after that is utter BS.

Detroit. I don't know if you are familiar with Patterson or Detroit. There is much more in the entire article. Patterson has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He does raise an interesting point when he tells his own not to stop for gas in Detroit.

The Reverend Wendell Anthony, the president of the Detroit chapter of the N.A.A.C.P., complained that the media too often excused Patterson’s “divisive racist antics.” He added, “Mr. Patterson’s failure is rooted in his limited capacity to understand that God’s grace shines on more than one county and on more than one type of human being.” Patterson is opposed to a regional subway system, and Brenda Lawrence—a former political rival frustrated with his refusal to compromise on this position, and with his apparent favoritism toward affluent whites—has referred to him as “an island.” When I asked him how Detroit might fix its financial problems, he said, “I made a prediction a long time ago, and it’s come to pass. I said, ‘What we’re gonna do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, and then throw in the blankets and corn.’ ”
Drop Dead, Detroit!

'Detroiters stay out': racial blockades divide a city and its surburbs

Detroit's Eight Mile Wall, or is it

If the name of the game (and you can see this in Chicago), is to allow certain communities to destroy themselves mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually, then we need to really take a look at who is profiting. Wipe each other out and then go in and pick up some real estate for a buck.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

Such is the sophistry of conservatives – the red herring fallacy, the failed attempt to deflect, the non sequitur, the effort to ignore facts which conflict with conservative dogma, proving conservative dogma to indeed be wrong.

Most, if not all, conservatives on USMB are practitioners: cite a legitimate, factual criticism of Trump and rightists will invariably respond with ‘whatabout Hillary,’ ‘whatabout Obama.’

Conservatives are as tedious as they are ridiculous.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

Wrong.

I guess you could always......

......move to fucking Somalia.

Michael Harriot

You’ve seen them before.

IM2 has made no such claim.

Lies. I am capable of presenting proof.

Forum List

Back