What you would have wanted..

At this point in time, I can't think of anyone. With the advantage of hind sight I'm not sure anyone could have defeated the Maobama gift machine. The only thing the GOP can do is spend the next 4 years developing a marketing machine that can perform similar to the Dems. 2008 and 2012 proved elections are not about policies anymore, they're about effective marketing.

2014 is going to be painful for you my friend.

the gop base is on the wrong side of history with gay marriage, military weapons for consumers, and a host of other things.

The man with the racist Obama display in front of his trailer is the new face of the GOP this week.

You've got PR problems you don't understand and your policy ideas on safety nets are not only un-American, but the Catholic church says they're not in line with the teachings of Christ (un-Christian)

Failure all around.

Do you all find it strange that the leaders of the Republican party--the ones who really set the agendas:

Limbaugh
LaPierre
Norquist

Are not elected?

It's VERY easy to sit on the sidelines and pontificate about how those who have to run for office should act, vote, handle themselves, etc... We do it every day here. Of course, we don't pose any threat of retaliation if they don't vote the way we want.

It's probably one of the underlying weaknesses that you guys don't have the stomach to address; these guys find a microphone and they set the agenda and create cartoonish environments that are totally non congruent with the actions that are sometimes necessary in congress and elsewhere.

Describe, in detail and with links to verifiable sources, EXACTLY how Rush Limbaugh "sets the agenda" for the Republican party. Be specific.

Do you all find it strange that the leaders of the Republican party--the ones who really set the agendas:

Limbaugh
LaPierre
Norquist

Are not elected?

It's VERY easy to sit on the sidelines and pontificate about how those who have to run for office should act, vote, handle themselves, etc... We do it every day here. Of course, we don't pose any threat of retaliation if they don't vote the way we want.

It's probably one of the underlying weaknesses that you guys don't have the stomach to address; these guys find a microphone and they set the agenda and create cartoonish environments that are totally non congruent with the actions that are sometimes necessary in congress and elsewhere.

Describe, in detail and with links to verifiable sources, EXACTLY how Rush Limbaugh "sets the agenda" for the Republican party. Be specific.

The agenda is a nebulous thing. You should know that.
On his show he rails against all forms of moderation so the GOP members have to be hard right wing lunatics or he pulls some crapolla like this from 2006.

LIMBAUGH: Now, I mentioned to you at the conclusion of the previous hour that people have been asking me how I feel all night long. And I got, "Boy, Rush, I wouldn't want to be you tomorrow. Boy, I wouldn't want to have to do your show. Boy, I'm so glad I'm not you." Well, folks, I love being me. I can't be anybody else, so I'm stuck with it. But the way I feel is this: I feel liberated, and I'm just going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat [sic] Party does and liberalism.

And I believe my side is worthy of victory, and I believe it's much easier to reform things that are going wrong on my side from a position of strength. Now, I'm liberated from having to constantly come in here every day and try to buck up a bunch of people who don't deserve it, to try to carry the water and make excuses for people who don't deserve it. I just -- I did not want to sit here and participate, willingly, in the victory of the libs, in the victory of the Democrat [sic] Party by sabotaging my own. But now with what has happened yesterday and today, it is an entirely liberating thing. If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future -- both in Congress and the administration -- are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that's liberating. I don't say this with any animosity about anybody, and I don't mean to make this too personal.

I'm not trying to tell you that this is about me. I'm just answering questions that I've had from people about how I feel. But there have been a bunch of things going on in Congress, some of this legislation coming out of there that I have just cringed at, and it has been difficult coming in here, trying to make the case for it when the people who are supposedly in favor of it can't even make the case themselves -- and to have to come in here and try to do their jobs. I'm a radio guy. I understand what this program has become in America and I understand the leadership position it has. I was doing what I thought best, but at this point, people who don't deserve to have their water carried, or have themselves explained as they would like to say things but somehow don't be -- aren't able to, I'm not under that kind of pressure.

That is the quote;

The context is below:

Radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh says Republicans are to blame for their own demise at the polls by failing to run a campaign trumpeting conservative values.

“You and I hunger for ideological leadership and we’re not getting it from the top. Conservatism, conservative ideology was nowhere to be found in this campaign from the top,” Limbaugh said today in his post-election analysis. “The Democrats beat something with nothing. They didn’t have to take a stand on anything other than their usual anti-war position. They had no clear agenda and believe me, they didn’t dare offer one. Liberalism will still lose every time it’s offered.”

Democrats took control of the House of Representatives for the first time since 1994, with the fate of the Senate still uncertain.

Limbaugh said Republicans allowed themselves to be defined by Democrats and the media, and says they instead should have gone on the offensive.

“It’s silly to blame the media. It is silly to blame the Democrats. It is silly to go out and try to find all these excuses,” he said. “We have proven we can beat them. We’ve proven we can beat Democrats. We’ve proven we can withstand whatever we get from the drive-by media. Conservatism does that. Conservatism properly applied – proudly, eagerly with vigor and honesty – will triumph that nine times out of 10 in this current political environment and social environment in this country. It just wasn’t utilized in this campaign.”

Limbaugh, a longtime proponent of conservative ideology, believes the primary reason Republicans didn’t campaign on their beliefs is “fear of criticism from those in the so-called establishment; and nobody wants to be criticized and nobody wants to go through their life in fear.”

He listed a number of benchmarks which should have been the basis for successful campaigns including no terrorist attacks on the U.S. since Sept. 11, 2001, gasoline prices averaging $2.08 per gallon, increased take-home pay, a strong economy and an unemployment rate at a historically low level.

“We all know that there’s very positive things happening out there, but it was not trumpeted by the people who should have been shouting it from the rooftops because they were proud of it,” Limbaugh said. “They should have been shouting it from the rooftops, ‘Look what we’ve done! Look how America can improve. Look how your future is brighter!’ … instead of allowing the template to be set by its critics. … You have a defensive, Gee-I’m-afraid-of-my-shadow Republican Party.”

In answering questions about how he feels about the election results, Limbaugh said, “I feel liberated. … I no longer am gonna have to carry the water for people who I think don’t deserve having their water carried. … If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future both in Congress and the administration are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that’s liberating. …

“There have been a bunch of things going on in Congress. Some of this legislation coming out of there that I have just cringed at. And it has been difficult coming in here trying to make the case for it when the people who supposedly in favor of it can’t even make the case themselves.”

During the last mid-term congressional election in 2002, Limbaugh proclaimed the Democratic Party to be in total chaos, and advised it to drop failed strategies if members wish to see political gains in the future.

“They’re a party in total disarray, total collapse, total chaos,” he said at the time.

During the 2004 campaign, Limbaugh said the Democratic Party was completely without a leader in its hunt to regain the White House, and members were desperately trying to invent one.

“They are so absent leadership right now it’s a joke,” said Limbaugh, “and everybody knows this in the media, and the Democrats are out trying to manufacture one – they’re trying to create one. And they’ve got this list of nine candidates for the Democratic nomination, and nobody can name one of them.”

It's no coincidence that the voices of moderation are drown out by extremists like Limbaugh, that religious leader whose name I refuse to remember, Norquist, and others.

Limbaugh
LaPierre
Norquist

Are not elected?

On his show he rails against all forms of moderation so the GOP members have to be hard right wing lunatics or he pulls some crapolla like this from 2006.

LIMBAUGH: Now, I mentioned to you at the conclusion of the previous hour that people have been asking me how I feel all night long. And I got, "Boy, Rush, I wouldn't want to be you tomorrow. Boy, I wouldn't want to have to do your show. Boy, I'm so glad I'm not you." Well, folks, I love being me. I can't be anybody else, so I'm stuck with it. But the way I feel is this: I feel liberated, and I'm just going to tell you as plainly as I can why. I no longer am going to have to carry the water for people who I don't think deserve having their water carried. Now, you might say, "Well, why have you been doing it?" Because the stakes are high. Even though the Republican Party let us down, to me they represent a far better future for my beliefs and therefore the country's than the Democrat [sic] Party does and liberalism.

And I believe my side is worthy of victory, and I believe it's much easier to reform things that are going wrong on my side from a position of strength. Now, I'm liberated from having to constantly come in here every day and try to buck up a bunch of people who don't deserve it, to try to carry the water and make excuses for people who don't deserve it. I just -- I did not want to sit here and participate, willingly, in the victory of the libs, in the victory of the Democrat [sic] Party by sabotaging my own. But now with what has happened yesterday and today, it is an entirely liberating thing. If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future -- both in Congress and the administration -- are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that's liberating. I don't say this with any animosity about anybody, and I don't mean to make this too personal.

I'm not trying to tell you that this is about me. I'm just answering questions that I've had from people about how I feel. But there have been a bunch of things going on in Congress, some of this legislation coming out of there that I have just cringed at, and it has been difficult coming in here, trying to make the case for it when the people who are supposedly in favor of it can't even make the case themselves -- and to have to come in here and try to do their jobs. I'm a radio guy. I understand what this program has become in America and I understand the leadership position it has. I was doing what I thought best, but at this point, people who don't deserve to have their water carried, or have themselves explained as they would like to say things but somehow don't be -- aren't able to, I'm not under that kind of pressure.

That is the quote;

The context is below:

Radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh says Republicans are to blame for their own demise at the polls by failing to run a campaign trumpeting conservative values.

“You and I hunger for ideological leadership and we’re not getting it from the top. Conservatism, conservative ideology was nowhere to be found in this campaign from the top,” Limbaugh said today in his post-election analysis. “The Democrats beat something with nothing. They didn’t have to take a stand on anything other than their usual anti-war position. They had no clear agenda and believe me, they didn’t dare offer one. Liberalism will still lose every time it’s offered.”

Democrats took control of the House of Representatives for the first time since 1994, with the fate of the Senate still uncertain.

Limbaugh said Republicans allowed themselves to be defined by Democrats and the media, and says they instead should have gone on the offensive.

“It’s silly to blame the media. It is silly to blame the Democrats. It is silly to go out and try to find all these excuses,” he said. “We have proven we can beat them. We’ve proven we can beat Democrats. We’ve proven we can withstand whatever we get from the drive-by media. Conservatism does that. Conservatism properly applied – proudly, eagerly with vigor and honesty – will triumph that nine times out of 10 in this current political environment and social environment in this country. It just wasn’t utilized in this campaign.”

Limbaugh, a longtime proponent of conservative ideology, believes the primary reason Republicans didn’t campaign on their beliefs is “fear of criticism from those in the so-called establishment; and nobody wants to be criticized and nobody wants to go through their life in fear.”

He listed a number of benchmarks which should have been the basis for successful campaigns including no terrorist attacks on the U.S. since Sept. 11, 2001, gasoline prices averaging $2.08 per gallon, increased take-home pay, a strong economy and an unemployment rate at a historically low level.

“We all know that there’s very positive things happening out there, but it was not trumpeted by the people who should have been shouting it from the rooftops because they were proud of it,” Limbaugh said. “They should have been shouting it from the rooftops, ‘Look what we’ve done! Look how America can improve. Look how your future is brighter!’ … instead of allowing the template to be set by its critics. … You have a defensive, Gee-I’m-afraid-of-my-shadow Republican Party.”

In answering questions about how he feels about the election results, Limbaugh said, “I feel liberated. … I no longer am gonna have to carry the water for people who I think don’t deserve having their water carried. … If those in our party who are going to carry the day in the future both in Congress and the administration are going to choose a different path than what most of us believe, then that’s liberating. …

“There have been a bunch of things going on in Congress. Some of this legislation coming out of there that I have just cringed at. And it has been difficult coming in here trying to make the case for it when the people who supposedly in favor of it can’t even make the case themselves.”

During the last mid-term congressional election in 2002, Limbaugh proclaimed the Democratic Party to be in total chaos, and advised it to drop failed strategies if members wish to see political gains in the future.

“They’re a party in total disarray, total collapse, total chaos,” he said at the time.

During the 2004 campaign, Limbaugh said the Democratic Party was completely without a leader in its hunt to regain the White House, and members were desperately trying to invent one.

“They are so absent leadership right now it’s a joke,” said Limbaugh, “and everybody knows this in the media, and the Democrats are out trying to manufacture one – they’re trying to create one. And they’ve got this list of nine candidates for the Democratic nomination, and nobody can name one of them.”

It's no coincidence that the voices of moderation are drown out by extremists like Limbaugh, that religious leader whose name I refuse to remember, Norquist, and others.

Limbaugh says things that keep people listening to his show. At times he is paid to get some talking points out to the listeners. He doesn't set any agenda (nor should he be, his effectiveness rating would be disastrous). In many cases he articulates that which people on the right already think.

He nails the conventional media though.

That is the quote;

The context is below:

Limbaugh says things that keep people listening to his show. At times he is paid to get some talking points out to the listeners. He doesn't set any agenda (nor should he be, his effectiveness rating would be disastrous). In many cases he articulates that which people on the right already think.

That ^ right there. Limblob is a shameless huckster who's out to make money, and you don't make money saying nice things, so you stir it up. That's where "slut" came from. That he sets an agenda in discourse is evidenced by the endless parroting of his talking points in forums like this, and that he sets one for the RP by the Grovereque genuflection they pay unto him should they dare to stray from the lockstep tribute line.

But, you could say, that's not Limblob's doing directly, that he's not "setting" an agenda; he's just laying it out there. It's his followers that take the greasy ball and run with it who set those agendas. And in truth he normally, rather than "setting" an agenda from whole cloth, weaves a twisted one from elements already present. So in that sense he's not creating; he's fomenting. In terms of dynamics it's really a distinction without a difference.

I'm with you. Hypothetically speaking though I believe Jon Huntsman matched with a conservative thinker such as Rubio would have done really well. The problem was he couldnt get off of the ground in places like Iowa where like an olympic sprinter you need a good start. A lot of people will complain about him being to moderate, but if you actually listened to him he was an extremely smart and relatable guy. To me that would have given us a better chance in swing areas.

Huntsman is boring. The GOP needs someone with some personality. Reagan, both Bush's were a lot more charismatic than their opponents.
Clinton beat Bush because people identified with him.
Slick Willy was reelected because Bob Dole.. Really! WTF was the GOP thinking there?
George W. Bush? Decent guy, People identified with him, and the DNC ran the 2 dullest clowns on the midway against him.
barack obama? Charisma big time! Against John McCain and Mitt Romney? Didn't Bob Dole teach us anything?

Last edited:

That is the quote;

The context is below:

That ^ right there. Limblob is a shameless huckster who's out to make money, and you don't make money saying nice things, so you stir it up. That's where "slut" came from. That he sets an agenda in discourse is evidenced by the endless parroting of his talking points in forums like this, and that he sets one for the RP by the Grovereque genuflection they pay unto him should they dare to stray from the lockstep tribute line.

But, you could say, that's not Limblob's doing directly, that he's not "setting" an agenda; he's just laying it out there. It's his followers that take the greasy ball and run with it who set those agendas. And in truth he normally, rather than "setting" an agenda from whole cloth, weaves a twisted one from elements already present. So in that sense he's not creating; he's fomenting. In terms of dynamics it's really a distinction without a difference.

Yeah well when you look at public opinion polling, Limbaugh is what, 40+ points higher than congress? The idiots that believe Limbaugh offers anything other than a methodology to increase his personal wealth listen to this guy then expect Congress to impose his clownish solutions. I recall back when I listened to him that Gorbachev was coming to NYC to speak at the UN. What the mayor did was round up a lot of the homeless and beggars and get them out of site during the pinnacle of world opinion. Limbaugh suggested that we could do this 24/7 across the nation since these people have no rights.

I mean, really....does the right wing loons here think that Sandra Fluke being called a slut by Limbaugh was a total non-factor in Romney getting so few votes by women who think for themselves?

I hope so; the Dems and liberals may have a chance to retain power in 2016 if they are this delusional.

That is the quote;

The context is below:

Funny post.

He preaches to the choir and morons believe that the polling data is wrong because the "conventional media" are reporting it. Guess what, it wasn't. Ask President Romney if you don't believe me.

Articulating what people on the right think? No. He tells them what to think because he's the party leader. It's that simple.

I get a kick out of those who claim Limbaugh runs the Republican party it's really laughable yes Limbaugh pushes Republican viewpoints and ideas and yes Republican politicians push the same views and ideas because they are Republican not because it's Limbaugh pushing. People like Bill Maher, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, and Rachel Maddow all push Democrat ideas and viewpoints that are pushed by Democrat politicians again because they are Democrats not because any or all of the people I listed pushing them runs the Democratic party.

I'm with you. Hypothetically speaking though I believe Jon Huntsman matched with a conservative thinker such as Rubio would have done really well. The problem was he couldnt get off of the ground in places like Iowa where like an olympic sprinter you need a good start. A lot of people will complain about him being to moderate, but if you actually listened to him he was an extremely smart and relatable guy. To me that would have given us a better chance in swing areas.

Huntsman is boring. The GOP needs someone with some personality. Reagan, both Bush's were a lot more charismatic than their opponents.
Clinton beat Bush because people identified with him.
Slick Willy was reelected because Bob Dole.. Really! WTF was the GOP thinking there?
George W. Bush? Decent guy, People identified with him, and the DNC ran the 2 dullest clowns on the midway against him.
barack obama? Charisma big time! Against John McCain and Mitt Romney? Didn't Bob Dole teach us anything?

Agreed that Huntsman isn’t exactly an exciting candidate. Maybe its just my personal opinion, but I dont need my Pres. to be a pep rally type of guy. I want him to be leaps and bounds smarter than youre average Joe and if that translates into him being boring, so be it. Huntsman is smart and did a lot of good things for the country. I know a lot of people look for someone that they want to have a beer with but it just isnt my mindset. To each his own though, right?

Gingrich would have gotten his ass handed to him too.

No one can twist words like old Newt. Youre right, he would have gotten smoked in the general, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of any other candidate when it comes to debating.

I didn't see that during the primaries. Otherwise, one would have thought he would have done better.

People are just stupid and feel that when he uses big words to attack a person he comes off as pompus. I like that though. I want my candidate to be the smartest guy in the room and not be afraid to flex his intellectual muscels without fearing he will be demonized for it. Unfortuanatly the GOP has a lot of people who feel that when someone uses big words they arent relatable, because they themselves have a tough time with vocabulary.

If you were responsible for choosining the Republican nominee for the 2012 election who would you have picked? Provide reasons.

Herman Cain.

Smart. Successful. Experienced in business. Not a politician. Conservative.

And let's face it, he's black. 100%. He would have taken a lot of the black vote from hussein.

I consider myslef a pretty good Republican, but I'm an american first. There is no way Herman Cain would have been able to earn my vote. imagine how independents would have felt.

No one can twist words like old Newt. Youre right, he would have gotten smoked in the general, but he is leaps and bounds ahead of any other candidate when it comes to debating.

I didn't see that during the primaries. Otherwise, one would have thought he would have done better.

People are just stupid and feel that when he uses big words to attack a person he comes off as pompus. I like that though. I want my candidate to be the smartest guy in the room and not be afraid to flex his intellectual muscels without fearing he will be demonized for it. Unfortuanatly the GOP has a lot of people who feel that when someone uses big words they arent relatable, because they themselves have a tough time with vocabulary.

This was the same guy who says he was going to colonize the moon during his presidency and wanted to re-open state run orphanages and also make kids clean the toilets in their schools....

It was a rare bright spot for the GOP that they looked at this dope and decided to cast their lot somewhere else. Obama may have won an even greater percentage of the electoral vote had Gingrich been on the ballot.

I get a kick out of those who claim Limbaugh runs the Republican party it's really laughable yes Limbaugh pushes Republican viewpoints and ideas and yes Republican politicians push the same views and ideas because they are Republican not because it's Limbaugh pushing. People like Bill Maher, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, and Rachel Maddow all push Democrat ideas and viewpoints that are pushed by Democrat politicians again because they are Democrats not because any or all of the people I listed pushing them runs the Democratic party.

The leaders of the Democratic party hold office.
The leaders of the Republican party are on the sidelines putting pressure on their elected officials. The two are nowhere near the same phenomenon.

This was the same guy who says he was going to colonize the moon during his presidency and wanted to re-open state run orphanages and also make kids clean the toilets in their schools....

It was a rare bright spot for the GOP that they looked at this dope and decided to cast their lot somewhere else. Obama may have won an even greater percentage of the electoral vote had Gingrich been on the ballot.

Haha that was some stupid shit. He had his moments though. Man, if we could just shake out the crazy in these guys we would have a chance.

Haha that was some stupid shit. He had his moments though. Man, if we could just shake out the crazy in these guys we would have a chance.

I've always said that "white guilt" was on the ballot in 2008. "Incumbent fatigue" will be on the ballot in 2016. The GOP should win the Presidential election easily unless they nominate Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, or Sarah Palin. There are some others like Bachman who may run again but she won't make it out of the primaries as we saw. I also don't think that Christie would win if he runs. Talk about having no constituency... I think almost any other candidate will have a somewhat easy path to 270 votes if they don't go to work alienating the 47%, Hispanics, or Women. The problem they have is that there are built in setbacks to winning over all three of those groups if your a Republican.

I've always said that "white guilt" was on the ballot in 2008. "Incumbent fatigue" will be on the ballot in 2016. The GOP should win the Presidential election easily unless they nominate Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, or Sarah Palin. There are some others like Bachman who may run again but she won't make it out of the primaries as we saw. I also don't think that Christie would win if he runs. Talk about having no constituency... I think almost any other candidate will have a somewhat easy path to 270 votes if they don't go to work alienating the 47%, Hispanics, or Women. The problem they have is that there are built in setbacks to winning over all three of those groups if your a Republican.

Solid assesment. I was going to give you pos. rep for it but it wouldnt allow me so ill just tell you that it was a good post.

Forum List

Back