What You Should Know About Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Feb 25, 2006.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Christopher Dickey points the big picture out:

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think most Americans are xenophobic, quite the contrary. I for one have never argued against increasing trade including through outsourcing. I have a problem when the argument is made that to have some areas dubbed 'American only' makes one an Islamaphobe.

Commonsense should not be abandoned for fear of offense. In the case of homeland security, commonsense demands that we do all in our power to strengthen our defensives of the most vital of our infrastructure. This includes points of entry, waterways and water sources, nuclear and other power plants, etc. To not minimize risk factors would be foolhardy.

I'm appalled at the recent news that so much has been 'outsourced' to other countries' companies. I probably would not have been so, prior to 9/11, but I'm not stuck at 9/10.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    We've already given the country away. We're in massive debt, we have vast trade imbalances, we've got foreign companies and international conglomarates owning everything from ports in New Jersey to vital infrastructure firms in California, New York and countless other states.

Few say anything, then the news media hypes up Arabs taking over the port operations in several east coast cities and suddenly hilary clinton and co. are on TV going crazy. NEARLY EVERYONE reacts without looking at the facts, mostly everyone heaps blame and scorn on Bush for endangering the nations. A few pathetic Republican lawmakers jump onboard because they realize the Dems (thanks to their allies in the media who misled the public in the first place) can finally run to the right of the Pres. on a national security issue and they couldn't possibly allow any weakness to be shown politically.
    We all fell for the damn MSM misleading us. They're still doing it. This is just another example of why you check the facts before you judge. After checking the facts and comparing this deal to other realities across America, you can either wound America terribly economically and its image and diplomacy abroad, or you can accept another foreign company owning a piece of America, push for legislation improving port security, and then move on.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

It's time to reverse the course.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We're not xenphobic--we just don't want any foreign investors in "important" American things?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I agree with your sentiment 100%. I am definitely on the "Keep America American" bandwagon.

The sad truth is no US company bid on the ports, and they cannot be compelled to.

7. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    A interesting article NATO AIR.

Did find it a little "doom and gloomish" though.

Government's must learn to leave the business of business to BUSINESS.

There was due diligence by those charged with oversight on this "business deal", time to move on.

:smoke:

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Important American things that have to do with the safety of the citizens. Last I checked, THAT was the #1 job of any government. I still feel that way, but as I posted on another thread, with information picked up today, I think the UAE should have a chance unless/until all foreign companies are on the same path.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The Bush administration has certainly been successful if convincing SOME people from the threat of Islamo-terrorism. Unfortunately the Democrats deceivingly yelled "ARAB TAKEOVER" and who jumped? Republicans and scandal thirsty democratic political hacks. If foreigners divested all of their holdings that some people might consider dangerous, the US would collapse.
    We simply don't have time nor the money to make this magical leap to American ownership overnight and the world isn't going to just put everything on hold until we get all our chicks in a row.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Give it a rest, you are on overdrive.