What you economic illiterates don't comprehend!

I think the idea that a technologically advanced species should work more than it plays, in life, is a complete fucking waste and ungratefulness of the gift we've been handed

I kind of agree. Here's the thing. We have accepted that we are required to work for a living, but there's actually less work to do. Most production is automated, most customer service is automated.

Exactly. Which is why the retirement age should be lowered, the cap on taxable SS income should be removed, and benefits should be expanded with a cap on benefits for high earners.

The unemployment rate for Millennials (18-34) is 9.6%. The unemployment rate for Boomers (51-69) is 4.2%.

Encourage the Boomers to leave the job market and watch the Millennial unemployment rate decline.

I think the idea that a technologically advanced species should work more than it plays, in life, is a complete fucking waste and ungratefulness of the gift we've been handed

I kind of agree. Here's the thing. We have accepted that we are required to work for a living, but there's actually less work to do. Most production is automated, most customer service is automated.
Accepted in the sense that we havent yet set up a special council or meeting of the minds and done the work to restructure society from its bedrock....

but we should.

As life expectancy rises and birthrates decline, the ratio is getting worse..

Life expectancy has remained largely flat since 1980 and currently stands at 78.

You want to turn it into a welfare program?
Careful, you'll reduce support for it.

How would it be a welfare program if you pay into it? If you're paying into it, you're earning an entitlement. Welfare is what Conservatives use to balance their budgets.

How would it be a welfare program if you pay into it?

Rich guy pays twice as much, five times as much, ten times as much into it, but gets an identical benefit.....no longer an "insurance program". Sorry.

A bit. Not enough to push back the depletion of the trust fund more than a few years.

So you don't know. Why am I not surprised? BTW - according to the links I provided, it would push it out 75 years. That's according to the PBS article I posted. You know, the one you read but didn't understand?

So you're just pulling this out of your ass. Why do you do that, anyway? Why do you have a compulsion to respond when you don't know what you're talking about? You do that often, BTW. You make wild claims, then refuse to back them up. You use deliberately vague words and phrases, to give yourself wiggle room on the parameters. Or you just make shit up. Bitch move. Pretty transparent, and very, very lazy and sloppy. And indicative of what you really are; a shitty propagandist. You're not even good at it. That's what's so disappointing.

You double the tax collected from someone, you double (not exactly, close enough) the benefits they are due.

Says who?

So you don't know.

The Heritage analysis, based on the SSA's own projections, shows that eliminating the cap on wages subject to the Social Security tax would generate only enough revenue to push back the date of the system's bankruptcy a few years. It would be the largest tax increase in U.S. history

The Impact of Removing Social Security's Tax Cap on Wages

Says who?

SSA

Rich guy pays twice as much, five times as much, ten times as much into it, but gets an identical benefit.....no longer an "insurance program". Sorry.

So you're main argument is a matter of semantics. You don't have an actual economic or fiscal argument against it, just the emotional one you always tend to make.

As life expectancy rises and birthrates decline, the ratio is getting worse..

Life expectancy has remained largely flat since 1980 and currently stands at 78.
Life expectancy in 1980 was 73.61 years in 2015 it was 78.74 years, that's nearly a 7% increase, IMHO you need to work on your definition of "largely flat" since the curve between the two years is distinctly upward sloping.

How would it be a welfare program if you pay into it? If you're paying into it, you're earning an entitlement. Welfare is what Conservatives use to balance their budgets.

What do you call it when one person pays in X + Y and another person pays in X but both receive the exact same benefit amount? isn't the second person receiving a handout of some portion of Y? how does the second person become "entitled" to that portion of Y?

Currently the base changes. Tread softly.

Again, what is it you think that proves? You didn't say. You just dodged and diverted per your normal routine. That's because you don't know what you're saying, isn't it? You have your compulsion to respond, even though your response means and says nothing.

The Heritage analysis, based on the SSA's own projections, shows that eliminating the cap on wages subject to the Social Security tax would generate only enough revenue to push back the date of the system's bankruptcy a few years. It would be the largest tax increase in U.S. historySSA

Shocking that Heritage would pretend this.

I'd much prefer the analysis done for PBS newshour by those who haven't been wrong about everything they've predicted like Heritage has.

So try again. Show your work.

Life expectancy in 1980 was 73.61 years in 2015 it was 78.74 years, that's nearly a 7% increase, IMHO you need to work on your definition of "largely flat" since the curve between the two years is distinctly upward sloping.

OK, and if you look at that within the overall historical trends, what is it you then see? Did life expectancy rise faster prior to 1980 than since? Why yes, it did. So that's why I'm saying it's largely flat when placed in the context of the overall trend. The biggest jump in life expectancy happened between 1965 and 1980. Wonder what caused that? Oh right, Medicare.

What do you call it when one person pays in X + Y and another person pays in X but both receive the exact same benefit amount? isn't the second person receiving a handout of some portion of Y? how does the second person become "entitled" to that portion of Y?

^^So this isn't an economic or fiscal argument, this is an emotional argument.^^

You're a very emotionally unstable person, aren't you?

You're trying to make this an issue of "fairness" which is hysterical because that concept doesn't mean shit to you when it comes to taxes. So now you're suddenly all concerned about fairness? LOL! You expect me to believe that?

So you don't know.

The Heritage analysis, based on the SSA's own projections, shows that eliminating the cap on wages subject to the Social Security tax would generate only enough revenue to push back the date of the system's bankruptcy a few years. It would be the largest tax increase in U.S. history

Here's a real analysis from AARP that stacks up the pro- and con- arguments including the one from your Heritage paper (the "con"). Clearly, the con argument needs some work because it's just an emotional argument in the end. There's no economic or fiscal argument against lifting the cap; there's only a half-assed argument about "fairness" for the ultra-rich that is purely emotional.

So we have an economic and fiscal argument for removing the cap.

You only have a highly emotional and hysterical argument against removing the cap. And you're assuming that benefits won't be capped for max earners, which they would be in any proposal like this. So right away, your argument comes from a dishonest place because you're constructing straw men.

Your emotions don't mean shit, BTW. They'e not important. They're not significant. They're not an effective or credible counter-argument to the economics and fiscal argument made.

Last edited:

OK, and if you look at that within the overall historical trends, what is it you then see? Did life expectancy rise faster prior to 1980 than since?
That wasn't your assertion, your assertion was "largely flat" the curve isn't largely flat by any reasonable interpretation since I think any reasonable person would conclude that a 7% increase in their expected lifespan isn't insignificant.

Next time you should either be more specific or be a little more subtle when you attempt to try your hand at goal post shifting.

^^So this isn't an economic or fiscal argument, this is an emotional argument.^^

You're a very emotionally unstable person, aren't you?

You're trying to make this an issue of "fairness" which is hysterical because that concept doesn't mean shit to you when it comes to taxes. So now you're suddenly all concerned about fairness? LOL! You expect me to believe that?

LOL, it's not an argument at all, it's a question designed to determine whether or not you understand the concept behind social welfare programs, apparently you don't since the best you could muster was an attempt at a vapid insult followed by a straw man construction project.

:popcorn:

Um, yeah, if these guys were striking for better equipment and better hours

Is that why they broke the law?

Well, no, they didn't. But never mind, you guys have your own history of why Reagan endangered air travelers and broke up the Middle Class being a good thing.

Is that why they broke the law?

Well, no, they didn't.

At 7 a.m. on August 3, 1981, the union declared a strike, seeking better working conditions, better pay, and a 32-hour workweek (a four-day week and a eight-hour day combined). In addition, PATCO wanted to be excluded from the civil service clauses that it had long disliked. In striking, the union violated 5 U.S.C. (Supp. III 1956) 118p (now 5 U.S.C. § 7311), which prohibits strikes by federal government employees.

Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (1968) - Wikipedia

You can put out whatever babble you want, but they had every right to strike to address working conditions that were putting safety at risk.
No, as a matter of fact, they didn't.

1) It was AGAINST THE LAW

2) It was not an issue of "putting safety at risk" -- they were striking for more money, and for less hours --- they wanted to get a full salary for 32 hrs/week that was earned 40 hrs/week.

Neither of these impacted safety -

That wasn't your assertion, your assertion was "largely flat" the curve isn't largely flat by any reasonable interpretation since I think any reasonable person would conclude that a 7% increase in their expected lifespan isn't insignificant.

7% increase over 35 years isn't largely flat? If the economy grew only 7% over 35 years, would you say that growth was largely flat? I would.

LOL, it's not an argument at all, it's a question designed to determine whether or not you understand the concept behind social welfare programs, apparently you don't since the best you could muster was an attempt at a vapid insult followed by a straw man construction project.

No, it's an emotional argument because it hinges on the "fairness" of capping benefits for high earners. That's the only argument you're making...that removing the cap on taxable SS income and capping benefits for high earners wouldn't be fair to the high earners. That's your argument. Nothing fiscal, nothing economic, just pure emotion and semantics.

If you are paying into an entitlement, then it's an entitlement. Welfare is something for nothing. Which is what Conservatives use to pay for their tax cuts.

7% increase over 35 years isn't largely flat?
Not unless you don't understand statistics and margin of diminishing returns with respect to life expectancy.

If the economy grew only 7% over 35 years, would you say that growth was largely flat? I would.
LOL, since we're comparing apples and oranges, why not throw in a comparison between the relative merits of traveling by jet versus holding your breath under water? HINT: just because the increase in two things are measured in annual percentage terms it doesn't mean that it's rational to compare their nominal growth rates.

No, it's an emotional argument because it hinges on the "fairness" of capping benefits for high earners. That's the only argument you're making...that removing the cap on taxable SS income and capping benefits for high earners wouldn't be fair to the high earners. That's your argument. Nothing fiscal, nothing economic, just pure emotion and semantics.

If you are paying into an entitlement, then it's an entitlement. Welfare is something for nothing. Which is what Conservatives use to pay for their tax cuts.

LOL, I didn't even mention "fairness" nor did it even cross my mind....

Apparently the question was too complex for you to understand either that or you just chose to duck it because the answer doesn't fit your premise.

Let me simplify it for you....

How is that one person has to pay more for the same exact "entitlement" than another person? Isn't the first person subsidizing the second persons "entitlement" and isn't that the very definition of what's commonly known as a social welfare program?

I find it mildly amusing that you choose to engage in the EXACT same behavior that you just accused Toddsterpatriot of , it would be VERY amusing if it wasn't so predictable.

Not unless you don't understand statistics and margin of diminishing returns with respect to life expectancy.

Well, that sounds like you're pulling right from your ass in order to win a semantic argument you can then use as a red herring to gaslight the actual discussion. But fine.

LOL, since we're comparing apples and oranges, why not throw in a comparison between the relative merits of traveling by jet versus holding your breath under water? HINT: just because the increase in two things are measured in annual percentage terms it doesn't mean that it's rational to compare their nominal growth rates.

So this is "I'm going to apply my own personal standard to this argument without bothering to look at historical context because I'm a propagandist who can't formulate a coherent and cogent argument". That's basically it from you. No substance.

Yes you did, whether you realize you did it or not. Your counter argument to my argument of removing the cap on taxable SS income is that you'd have to increase benefits for everyone. I'm saying that presumption isn't a written rule anywhere. Capping an entitlement benefit doesn't suddenly make the entitlement welfare (SS benefits are capped now already). Entitlements are something you earn by paying into. Welfare is something you get without paying anything. So explain how capping entitlement benefits for high earners suddenly transforms -even conceptually- Social Security into welfare even though recipients are still paying into the entitlement prior to getting their benefits? You haven't -nor has any Conservative- been able to make that connection simply because entitlements are earned and welfare isn't.

How is that one person has to pay more for the same exact "entitlement" than another person? Isn't the first person subsidizing the second persons "entitlement" and isn't that the very definition of what's commonly known as a social welfare program?.

We all subsidize everyone's retirement because everyone who works pays into the entitlements, thus earning those benefits. You would have an argument if Person A wasn't paying anything into the entitlement, but receiving the entitlement anyway. That would be welfare. But that's not what's happening. So again, you're making an emotional argument about "fairness", namely that it's not "fair" that a rich person pays more into entitlements and doesn't get more back. That's the only argument you're making against this. And it's a pretty shitty one too. And besides, the people getting Social Security today are getting more than what they paid into it. So already, the principle you're trying to argue is one that happens now.

Last edited:

Well, that sounds like you're pulling right from your ass in order to win a semantic argument you can then use as a red herring to gaslight the actual discussion. But fine.
Uh-huh.... either that or you made an assertion without understanding the facts.

So this is "I'm going to apply my own personal standard to this argument without bothering to look at historical context because I'm a propagandist who can't formulate a coherent and cogent argument". That's basically it from you. No substance.
Actually you just described yourself but don't let it deter you from offering up non-sequiturs, perhaps if you do it enough you'll be able to convince somebody other than yourself that it makes sense.

Yes you did, whether you realize you did it or not.
As per usual what the voices in your head told you I wrote is starkly different from what I actually wrote, if I were you I would get some new voices since the ones you have don't appear to comprehend English.

Your counter argument to my argument of removing the cap on taxable SS income is that you'd have to increase benefits for everyone.
I made no such counter argument, I asked a question which you have been desperately trying to dodge.

Apparently you don't understand your own argument or have the ability to discern one poster from another poster.:dunno:

As per usual what the voices in your head told you I wrote is starkly different from what I actually wrote, if I were you I would get some new voices since the ones you have don't appear to comprehend English.

So then your position isn't that if we remove the cap on taxable SS income, we have to also increase benefits to everyone, even the rich?

So then why are you responding? Is it just because you need attention? What gives?

I made no such counter argument, I asked a question which you have been desperately trying to dodge.

I answered your question in that post. It clearly wasn't the answer you were hoping for...maybe you didn't read it because you have a habit of rushing a highly emotional response, and doing sloppy work as a result:

How is that one person has to pay more for the same exact "entitlement" than another person? Isn't the first person subsidizing the second persons "entitlement" and isn't that the very definition of what's commonly known as a social welfare program?.

We all subsidize everyone's retirement because everyone who works pays into the entitlements, thus earning those benefits. You would have an argument if Person A wasn't paying anything into the entitlement, but receiving the entitlement anyway. That would be welfare. But that's not what's happening. So again, you're making an emotional argument about "fairness", namely that it's not "fair" that a rich person pays more into entitlements and doesn't get more back. That's the only argument you're making against this. And it's a pretty shitty one too. And besides, the people getting Social Security today are getting more than what they paid into it. So already, the principle you're trying to argue is one that happens now.

How is that one person has to pay more for the same exact "entitlement" than another person?

Because one person's wage is higher than the other. What does this have to do with the economics and/or fiscal issue? Nothing. It's an emotional argument you're trying to make about "fairness". You can't make an economic or fiscal argument against removing the cap on taxable income and expanding benefits, capping those benefits for high earners. The only argument you can make is an emotional one about "fairness". So you say you're not making that argument, yet you are.

Isn't the first person subsidizing the second persons "entitlement" and isn't that the very definition of what's commonly known as a social welfare program?

Nope. Entitlements are earned, welfare isn't. And besides, the people getting SS today are getting more than they paid into the system decades ago. So whatever silly batshit argument you're trying to make about people getting more than they paid in is undermined by the fact that is what is happening already with the program and has been for decades.

So now that shitty argument has been exposed as one of pure emotion, care to make a fiscal or economic argument against it? Or can you only debate within the realm of emotion because you're so emotional?

Forum List

Back