What you didn't hear in the SOTU address

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
# When several square blocks of New York got wiped out, we spent hundreds of billions of dollars to repair it, compensate the victims and make sure it didn’t happen again. Now that hundreds of square miles of the Gulf Coast has been wiped out, I’ve changed my mind about the measly $6 Billion I proposed earlier and am asking Congress to spend at least $200 billion to make repairs, compensate the victims and make sure that doesn’t happen again either;
# I know you’re wondering where we’ll get the money to do that. As I told you, major combat operations in Iraq ended years ago. Now that I’ve succeeded in ensuring a democratic election by the people of Iraq, the winning party, loyal to Iran’s mullahs can take over. All your husbands, sons, wives and daughters will be home within the next few months;
# We’ll be diverting the billions of dollars we were spending every month in Iraq to restoring the coast. Of course, Halliburton and other good corporate citizens will be getting “no-bid” contracts to do the work. Our wonderful free market will allow all those unemployed Ford and Kraft workers to compete with the undocumented immigrants coming across our southern border;
# We’ll also save a bit by not sending money to the Palestinians any more. All the independent poll watchers agreed they had a very fair and democratic election, resulting in a terrorist organization now being in control of the government. They won’t be getting any more money from us
# My plan to fix Medicare didn’t go as planned and has proven to be an unworkable mess. I’m scrapping it and instead proposing a new plan of universal health care coverage so that even the poor and middle class can feel secure that when they need health care, it will be available and affordable;
# While we’re on the subject of the poor, I know you read the news last week that the gap between the richest and poorest in our society is wider than ever and getting wider. It couldn’t have escaped your notice that this news comes at a time when ExxonMobil and several of our other corporations have posted the largest net profits in history. It doesn’t seem they’ve been able to “trickle down” that wealth to those most needing help so I’m proposing new taxes on corporate windfalls so those rich enough to own stock in these companies can make a reasonable profit but none of our citizens go hungry at night.

SpidermanTuba said:
# When several square blocks of New York got wiped out, we spent hundreds of billions of dollars to repair it, compensate the victims and make sure it didn’t happen again. Now that hundreds of square miles of the Gulf Coast has been wiped out, I’ve changed my mind about the measly $6 Billion I proposed earlier and am asking Congress to spend at least $200 billion to make repairs, compensate the victims and make sure that doesn’t happen again either;
# I know you’re wondering where we’ll get the money to do that. As I told you, major combat operations in Iraq ended years ago. Now that I’ve succeeded in ensuring a democratic election by the people of Iraq, the winning party, loyal to Iran’s mullahs can take over. All your husbands, sons, wives and daughters will be home within the next few months;
# We’ll be diverting the billions of dollars we were spending every month in Iraq to restoring the coast. Of course, Halliburton and other good corporate citizens will be getting “no-bid” contracts to do the work. Our wonderful free market will allow all those unemployed Ford and Kraft workers to compete with the undocumented immigrants coming across our southern border;
# We’ll also save a bit by not sending money to the Palestinians any more. All the independent poll watchers agreed they had a very fair and democratic election, resulting in a terrorist organization now being in control of the government. They won’t be getting any more money from us
# My plan to fix Medicare didn’t go as planned and has proven to be an unworkable mess. I’m scrapping it and instead proposing a new plan of universal health care coverage so that even the poor and middle class can feel secure that when they need health care, it will be available and affordable;
# While we’re on the subject of the poor, I know you read the news last week that the gap between the richest and poorest in our society is wider than ever and getting wider. It couldn’t have escaped your notice that this news comes at a time when ExxonMobil and several of our other corporations have posted the largest net profits in history. It doesn’t seem they’ve been able to “trickle down” that wealth to those most needing help so I’m proposing new taxes on corporate windfalls so those rich enough to own stock in these companies can make a reasonable profit but none of our citizens go hungry at night.
Tim Kaine's response was so much more tolerable than yours...

SpidermanTuba said:

You've got to be the most unwise person on this forum. With people like you around, there's a good chance one may make it into office. If that happens this country will get it's ass kicked by anybody willing to take a hostage or two.

Sending no money to the Arabs living in Gaza Strip is a good idea. Better yet - We should support Israel kicking their asses. :)

Other than that, your ideas are crap.

SpidermanTuba said:

I always wonder what the statement means, when libs say "the gap between the richest and the poorest" gets wider and wider. Well, the poorest people cannot get any poorer. If you make 0$ you cannot go down anymore than that. So I take that to mean that there are people on the other end of the spectrum getting "richer". I didn't ever know that that was a bad thing. It is supposed to be the American dream to make alot of money. Not sure why libs cannot stand other making so much money, especially when those super-rich people are taxed up the ying-yang. And I'm not sure what big corporations have to do with personal income, other than the fact that people who have jobs with those companies might be making more money. When you libs complain about people making more money, it implies that you would rather they didn't. And that those "rich" people should forceably distrubute their wealth to the "poor". Income restribution is for communists.

SpidermanTuba said:

The more I read your bullshit the more THIS particular bullshit stands out to me. Here you are comparing a NATURAL DISASTER to an ACT OF WAR/TERROR.

That's your exact problem. You dont give two rat's asses about the security of this country - you equate 11 Sept with a HURRICANE in terms of importance. You want the hurricane to 'not have' killed or destroyed as much? Blame the liberal dumbasses in charge of LA and NO. Why you make THEIR incompetence a 'Bush' issue is beyond me.

This is America. The poor here have it good compared to the poor in most countries. I mean, poor people in this country are fat...FAT! Do you have any idea how much it used to cost to get fat? That tired line about the gap between the rich and the poor is crap, because *surprise* that's not all there is. Once again, this is America. Between rich and poor are millions of people getting along just fine or on the way up.

Now, let's talk about those corporations posting huge profits. Do you know who gets those profits? No, the CEOs don't get those profits, they get a salary. 'The corporation' doesn't get those profits, either. Corporations are incapable of accumulating wealth. Shareholders get that profit, and anybody can be a shareholder. Hell, I'm a shareholder and get $26 every 3 months and I'm hardly rich. All you have to do is invest if you want a cut of that sweet, sweet profit.

SpidermanTuba said:

#1. It was a hundred years ago that a major earthquake flattened San Francisco. It was rebuilt using private money (read "insurance") and the government did not get involved.

#2. The role of government is to govern, not to run social engineering projects. If the gap between the rich and poor is widening, then what are we as private citizens going to do about it? Give more to charity, is part of the answer. Private charities are more efficient at getting the dollars to the intended recipients than government agencies.

#3. You contradict yourself again. First, you start out with complaining about government largesse then propose that the government "do something" about the problem of poverty in this country. If people can't afford to eat, then part of the problem may be due to the fact that the government is taking too much money from private citizens and businesses, forcing too many unnecessary regulations on businesses and helping drive them out of business.

#4 It is not up to the government to fill a bunch of quotas on hiring rates for women, blacks and other minorities. Rather, this society should be able to provide the opportunities through economic expansion. The qualified people should get the jobs. Those people become qualified by ensuring that they get a quality education and training. That means, the government gets out of the education business.

#5 It is not up to the government to decide when a company makes too much money. If a company makes a lot of money, great. That means the investors in those companies make a lot of money (most investors in this country are decidedly middle class, not rich millionaires). When Exxon posts a lot of profit, their stock goes up in value, their dividends go up and a wonderful thing happens, wealth gets distributed to the masses of people who own stock in those companies. That money gets reinvested and jobs are created, or the stock is sold and help to send students to college, sometimes is donated to charity, pay bills and a myriad of other things that benefit many people. When the government steps in and taxes the living shit out of companies (just to make people like you happy), it only benefits the government because that money is not available to the private sector any longer. In short, by advocating the raising of taxes, you are in effect favoring the benefit of a small percentage of the population i.e. government bureaucrats.

• Banned
theHawk said:
I always wonder what the statement means, when libs say "the gap between the richest and the poorest" gets wider and wider.

Do you honestly need an explanation?

Well, the poorest people cannot get any poorer. If you make 0$ you cannot go down anymore than that. So I take that to mean that there are people on the other end of the spectrum getting "richer".

No, that's not what is meant by the phrase.

When you libs complain about people making more money, it implies that you would rather they didn't.

I think you're misintepreting our stance. Our chief complaint is that most people are making less money. That is a bad thing.

And that those "rich" people should forceably distrubute their wealth to the "poor". Income restribution is for communists.
So you believe the Interstate Highway System should be all toll roads?

SpidermanTuba said:
So you believe the Interstate Highway System should be all toll roads?

What do state and federal gas tax fund? Virtually every spectrum of income levels are paying that tax based on consumption not income.

SpidermanTuba said:
While we’re on the subject of the poor, I know you read the news last week that the gap between the richest and poorest in our society is wider than ever and getting wider. It couldn’t have escaped your notice that this news comes at a time when ExxonMobil and several of our other corporations have posted the largest net profits in history. It doesn’t seem they’ve been able to “trickle down” that wealth to those most needing help so I’m proposing new taxes on corporate windfalls so those rich enough to own stock in these companies can make a reasonable profit but none of our citizens go hungry at night.

I find this very interesting about liberals:

When profits go up (such as Exxon), they scream that "the corporations" are ripping off the little people (the public).

When profits go down (such as Enron), they also scream that "the corporations" are ripping off the little people (the shareholders).

In both scenarios "the little people" own the corporations as shareholders.
I think liberals would be more honest if they would point to the corporate leaders who they think are "the robbers" and explain exactly why (like with Enron). Otherwise they are implicating all the little people who are shareholders as being evil and that is just unfair. Little people buy shares with the expectation of making profits. Isn't that "trickle down" money? Liberals need to remember that a corporation typically cannot become as big as they do without the shareholders ownership, i.e, the "little people".

SpidermanTuba said:
So you are against social security, medicare, the interstate highway system, and free eduction for kids?
Social Security is a big fraud.... it's a tax, but not tax deductible, you cannot opt out of it, it's a pay as you go plan, that is the people who are working are currently supporting those in the system. Little or none of the money is invested or gaining interest. A great system, if the number of workers continues to increase, which it hasn't. In fact ST, since you're a young pup, you and people your age will be forking over larger and larger percentages of your pay just to keep SS afloat.

If you live long enough, you'll see the day that you wish you had supported Bush's proposal to privatize Social Security or something like it.

Medicare -- that's another fraud, I'm sure. In fact, since medical insurance has come on the scene, the price of medical care has gone through the roof. It now increases at rates of over 10% a year, which means that the cost doubles every 7 or so years. Unbeknownst to most people, the increased cost of your benefits is considered part of your raise. I was told by someone who is a manager of accounting at a large company that benefits make up approximately 1/3 of your compensation (although you don't realize it in the form of take home pay). That means that if medical insurance cost go up at 9% in a given year and if you get a 2% raise, you actually got a 5% raise, but the extra 3% was eaten up by the increased insurance premiums.

The interstate highway system was not a social experiment, it was built for military and economic reasons. The interstate highway system is much like the transcontinental railroad of the 1800s.

Free education for the kids?!?!?!? Where do you live? ST, you need to come down from your ivory tower....

There is a thing called a school tax levied on property owners. Public schools are not free, nor are private schools. But, all property owners are required to support public schools whether they have children in the system or not. Renters also pay this tax, although indirectly. If you don't pay the school tax you owe, eventually the school district can seize your property. People who choose to send their children to private schools (as in parochial schools) must still pay the tax in addition to paying private school tuition.

Given the state of public schooling in this country, public school tax is actually a form of support for teacher's unions. Since many states e.g. New York have COMPULSORY unionism for public school teachers and that public school teachers pay dues.... this is a compulsory governmental subsidy of teacher's unions....

Forum List

Back