what ya think about

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Right on Johnney!:beer: :alco:

That Jeff Healy is one smoking blues player, for a blind guy no less! Ahh thought I was strictly a headbanger eh? Surprise!:D
yes jeff healy is awesome! shows what determination and not letting a handicap get you down can do!

OK Johnney, got yourself a geetar??:cool:
jeez do i have to come up with everything???? lol
no as a matter of fact i dont, but ive been looking not quite sure what i want though

Well thats ok, will just attach a few string to an old beer crate, and I am sure you will be a natural!!:D
so what are some decent ones that a poor chubby kid could afford?

:laugh: Fender make an entry level guiar that's actually pretty good! there Squier models start around $149.00 I think!
ive been seeing some package deal things, think those would be any good

Dan - Totally disregarded my post above did ya? The blues is a great platform to start from, some of the best players in the worls are blues players! Now you dont have to like it, but you should take some basic lessons on it! All of the great rock/metal bands today are basically expanding on the blues theory!

Yeah, back when I was taking lessons I studied a little blues. Just doesn't really appeal to me that much, it's not really the lead stuff so much as the rhythm, since it's exactly the same in practically every blues song ever made. I think a great example of a band taking basic blues knowledge and using it as a springboard to much better music is Guns n Roses. From a technical standpoint, their stuff is very obviously blues-influenced, but they made it their own because, like you said, they have the passion.

You know, I talk about not liking blues because it all sounds the same, and meanwhile one of my favorite bands is AC/DC, who are also very blues-influenced, and haven't changed their sound in 30 years, so who knows. I'm just weird, I guess.

You know I have been playing for over 20 years now, and I can only make a riff like that sound like the Ramones on acid!

See, I think that's my problem, I would honestly rather hear that than blues.:huh:

Lucky me-a lifelong friend of mine is considered to be one of the top ten guitarists in the world (maybe not so lucky. Everytime I hear him play, I want to smash my guitar into a million bits.).
His name is Scotty Anderson. He has some CD's and instructional videos out there. Yamaha underwrote a national tour of his, just to promote their guitars.

Scotty plays some small gigs in the Cincinnati area whenever he feels like it. He could write his own ticket anywhere in the world, but would rather sit on the porch with his wife of thirty years, sippin' a beer and watching the world go by than deal with the whole star trip. Quite a unique character.

Musicman, I'll have to check this guy out, what style of music does he play?

Scotty plays some small gigs in the Cincinnati area whenever he feels like it. He could write his own ticket anywhere in the world, but would rather sit on the porch with his wife of thirty years, sippin' a beer and watching the world go by than deal with the whole star trip. Quite a unique character.

A non-self-obsessed person in the music industry??? You're crazy, man!!!:D

Dan - definitely gotta play what ya like! but you are right about AC/DC - they are very simplistic, but they know how to shake it!

Gotta love AC/DC! Them Young brothers can't know any more than five or six chords, tops, and yet they make them work on every damn song!

I've been listening to them a lot lately. This is going to sound really, really stupid, but in School of Rock, Jack Black and the kids' performance of "It's a Long Way to the Top..." really got me back into the AC/DC spirit!

Originally posted by Dan
Musicman, I'll have to check this guy out, what style of music does he play?
A non-self-obsessed person in the music industry??? You're crazy, man!!!:D

Our internet provider has been on the blink all this week. Sorry so long in answering.

Scotty is difficult to categorize. He covers everything from soup to nuts. "Fingerstyle jazz" might come the closest to describing him.

Hi Joz -
Sykes has been around! he started his career with the Tygers of Pan Tang, and from there was with Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, and Blue Murder. He was the one that put Whitsnake on the map, he did the Slide it In record and also the Whitesnake self titled record 1987 hit! Although I dont thing he has been given much credit for that! He is now a solo act, and has put out some killer stuff! You can check him out here if interestes!

http://www.johnsykes.com/

I saw him in 84, Whitesnake opened for Quiet Riot. Great show, damn that was 20 years ago.

Another great guitar player is Marc Knoppler(sp?) - that guy is a awesome and a fingerpicker to boot.

Forum List

Back