What would you want R&R to do in their 1st 100 days

swizzlee

RedWhiteAndBlue
Jan 8, 2011
on a mountain
1] Have the Senate introduce the Repeal Obamacare bill. I believe the house has already passed their version. Be prepared to introduce new health care plans to replace O-care.

2] Get the Keystone pipeline project moving. Identify and scrap abusive/excessive regulations against the energy sector. Get those permits that have been stalled approved as quickly as possible.

3] Identify and scrap restrictive/abusive/overreaching rules and regs against the small business community.

4] Examine and scrap executive orders meant to do run-arounds on Congress.

5] Begin work on tax reform.

That's a good start for now. How 'bout you?

A good start would issue an executive order repealing all executive orders issued since 1/20/09.
I'd be pleased as hell if he issued a second order making all EPA regulations subject to approval of Congress.

Repeal ObamaCare
Repeal NDAA
Repeal Patriot Act
Repeal NAFTA
Audit the Fed
Defund/Investigate the C.I.A

Then start eliminating gov't agencies.

But I know not one of those will happen.

All great ideas so far.
All I would add would be for Romney to fly to the middle east, visit all our allies in that region whom Obama has thus far neglected to visit and NOT visit all the muzzy terror loving shit holes Obama seems so intent on associating with.

1] Have the Senate introduce the Repeal Obamacare bill. I believe the house has already passed their version. Be prepared to introduce new health care plans to replace O-care.

2] Get the Keystone pipeline project moving. Identify and scrap abusive/excessive regulations against the energy sector. Get those permits that have been stalled approved as quickly as possible.

3] Identify and scrap restrictive/abusive/overreaching rules and regs against the small business community.

I would say no to number one. I realize this is going to incense people :D but Obamacare should never be repealed, it should be replaced and I don’t think repealing it is going to get that done. Besides that, you are never going to get such a thing passed unless you manage to get a supermajority in the senate and Keep the house. I don’t see a supermajority happening, do you?

2, 3, and 4 are good.
5 – IMHO, is by FAR the most important and I would like them to take this on first. I don’t think they actually will take it on at all but it is one of my top desires as far as repairing our defunct government.

Along with taking on the regulations, I would also like them to tackle useless bureaucracies and eliminate most of them. That is a huge undertaking though and another thing I doubt they are going to do.
A good start would issue an executive order repealing all executive orders issued since 1/20/09.
I'd be pleased as hell if he issued a second order making all EPA regulations subject to approval of Congress.
I would like such a law to be extended to ALL regulating agencies. I am tired of congress abdicating their responsibilities to agencies that have little to no checks and balances to their power.
Eliminate the TSA and let airports be responsible for their own security.
Ditto, as well as the DHS too, the agencies that existed before that monstrosity were plenty capable if they were not prevented from working together.

I would add some repealing the patriot act as well. Also would like to see them pull back the military overseas and close most of the overseas bases.

The better question is do you think they will actually do any of this?

I think they MIGHT address some of the regulation problem but I don’t think they are going to make too much headway on that. Still, some is a step in the right direction. They will take care of the keystone pipeline though. That is an easy one. The thing is, so will Obama. The delays are mere politicking before the election.

Those are good ones.. and reinstating the mexico city policy.

I won't claim to be an expert on the rules and regs surrounding exec orders but there's plenty of suggestion that some/many of them have been designed not only to go around Congress but may also be unconstitutional.

If nothing else, it would seem to me that a non-partisan group should at least review these regs for constitutional issues.

I'm not sure if I would agree to Congressional approval on every EPA decision. You could run up against a very necessary rule being held up or even shot down by the "wrong" Congress.

All great ideas so far.
All I would add would be for Romney to fly to the middle east, visit all our allies in that region whom Obama has thus far neglected to visit and NOT visit all the muzzy terror loving shit holes Obama seems so intent on associating with.
AGREED! But I suspect that might take longer than 100 days :badgrin:

I would say no to number one. I realize this is going to incense people :D but Obamacare should never be repealed, it should be replaced and I don’t think repealing it is going to get that done. Besides that, you are never going to get such a thing passed unless you manage to get a supermajority in the senate and Keep the house. I don’t see a supermajority happening, do you?

2, 3, and 4 are good.
5 – IMHO, is by FAR the most important and I would like them to take this on first. I don’t think they actually will take it on at all but it is one of my top desires as far as repairing our defunct government.

Along with taking on the regulations, I would also like them to tackle useless bureaucracies and eliminate most of them. That is a huge undertaking though and another thing I doubt they are going to do.
I would like such a law to be extended to ALL regulating agencies. I am tired of congress abdicating their responsibilities to agencies that have little to no checks and balances to their power.
Ditto, as well as the DHS too, the agencies that existed before that monstrosity were plenty capable if they were not prevented from working together.

I would add some repealing the patriot act as well. Also would like to see them pull back the military overseas and close most of the overseas bases.

I think they MIGHT address some of the regulation problem but I don’t think they are going to make too much headway on that. Still, some is a step in the right direction. They will take care of the keystone pipeline though. That is an easy one. The thing is, so will Obama. The delays are mere politicking before the election.
Here's where I disagree....................

First, I mentioned replacement in my original list - Be prepared to introduce new health care plans to replace O-care. More importantly, everything I know about Ocare is that it is so fubarred that even the lawyers can't figure it out. Add to that the fact that it's some 2800 pages. Sometimes it really is better to start over. That doesn't mean you can't lift those ideas that are positive and include them in the new plan.

If it was originally passed thru reconciliation, what would be the reason it can't be passed the same way again? I also personally sense that the Dems in Congress will be much more willing to at least attempt compromise than they were under the O.

Yes, tax reform is a very high priority but I disagree that it won't be done. You don't have Ryan in this mix if he's not going to push hard. After all, it IS his plan. I also don't envision this being something that will happen quickly. There will be much ongoing work to do before you get everyone in agreement about which exemptions will be dropped. And corporate exemptions will be vital if we're to fix the problem of some companies paying little or no taxes. Here's where you're going to get your major lobbying efforts in play.

I do feel there are useless departments that could be eliminated but easier said than done. It's not likely that any one of them can just be eliminated in one swell foop without tossing thousands of employees onto the unemployment lines. It would likely have to be phased out over a period of years. But it can be done.

Yes, I do believe they will go after the main issues in their campaign - health care/medicare along with tax reform. I do believe they will do what is necessary to reduce the uncertainty within the business community whether thru eliminating rules/regs/laws or other methods that have been put in place by the O. Remember, rules and regs originate in the various departments and can quickly be handled without going thru Congress - a case of her today, gone tomorrow.

And although I don't expect to see drastic changes in unemployment immediately, I do think you will begin to see some serious hiring going on.

Those are good ones.. and reinstating the mexico city policy.
Refresh my memory.................

What is the mexico city policy?

:clap2:

You're not making any sense.......

You seem to be saying that your laundry list is what the backers of Romney, Bush and Obama want but won't get. Yet O-care has been a high priority on Romney's to-do list.

To be honest, I've seen no evidence that any of the rest of your list would be considered high priority to anyone other than specialty groups and that might also include the general public, like yourself, who supports Ron Paul.

I’ll have to parse your post to properly address it:

2, 3, and 4 are good.

First, I mentioned replacement in my original list - Be prepared to introduce new health care plans to replace O-care. More importantly, everything I know about Ocare is that it is so fubarred that even the lawyers can't figure it out. Add to that the fact that it's some 2800 pages. Sometimes it really is better to start over. That doesn't mean you can't lift those ideas that are positive and include them in the new plan.
I know that you mentioned replaced BUT you and I disagree in one key point with that: I don’t believe that you will be able to pass a replacement if you repeal first. I am not even confident that they will honestly try. I feel that a much better process to follow would be to have the replacement already ready and drop it in at the same time. The idea that we should repeal it first and then hope congress actually fixes the problem does not address the fact that congress has a bad track record of this.

For instance, if we raise taxes now with promise of spending cuts later, how confident are you that spending will ever be cut? I see this as the same concept. Repeal this now and we promise to do something in the future. Yea right….
If it was originally passed thru reconciliation, what would be the reason it can't be passed the same way again? I also personally sense that the Dems in Congress will be much more willing to at least attempt compromise than they were under the O.
I disagree here and I doubt that the congress will be willing to do this as well. TBH, there was more to it when it was passed the first time and it DID receive the votes. What you are proposing is no better than what Obama does and I don’t believe that anyone should sink down to his level and use end runarounds to circumvent the rules. No, something this major and critical should not be shrouded in questionable practices or we are no better than the people we oppose.
Yes, tax reform is a very high priority but I disagree that it won't be done. You don't have Ryan in this mix if he's not going to push hard. After all, it IS his plan. I also don't envision this being something that will happen quickly. There will be much ongoing work to do before you get everyone in agreement about which exemptions will be dropped. And corporate exemptions will be vital if we're to fix the problem of some companies paying little or no taxes. Here's where you're going to get your major lobbying efforts in play.
I did say that I think some advancement will be made here but even Ryan is not pushing for what actually needs to be done: the elimination of almost all tax write offs and I doubt most subsidies (which need to be eliminated altogether) will be touched. That is what I meant. I don’t see real progress here because no one has even talked about it. I think there will be movement in the right direction though, just movement that is insufficient.
I do feel there are useless departments that could be eliminated but easier said than done. It's not likely that any one of them can just be eliminated in one swell foop without tossing thousands of employees onto the unemployment lines. It would likely have to be phased out over a period of years. But it can be done.
This is true. It is going to take a while to phase those programs out. I think that most of them need to be merged more than eliminated. Such a process does eliminate vast levels of bureaucracy.
Yes, I do believe they will go after the main issues in their campaign - health care/medicare along with tax reform. I do believe they will do what is necessary to reduce the uncertainty within the business community whether thru eliminating rules/regs/laws or other methods that have been put in place by the O. Remember, rules and regs originate in the various departments and can quickly be handled without going thru Congress - a case of her today, gone tomorrow.

And although I don't expect to see drastic changes in unemployment immediately, I do think you will begin to see some serious hiring going on.
I can agree with this.

All great ideas so far.
AGREED! But I suspect that might take longer than 100 days :badgrin:

Nothing to it. Obama ran around and apologized for the nation that made him on three different continents within 100 days.
One trip for Romney to Israel while neglecting to visit The Muzzy Brotherhood in Egypt or Hamas in Gaza should be a piece of cake. ;)

I’ll have to parse your post to properly address it:

2, 3, and 4 are good.

I know that you mentioned replaced BUT you and I disagree in one key point with that: I don’t believe that you will be able to pass a replacement if you repeal first. I am not even confident that they will honestly try. I feel that a much better process to follow would be to have the replacement already ready and drop it in at the same time. The idea that we should repeal it first and then hope congress actually fixes the problem does not address the fact that congress has a bad track record of this.

For instance, if we raise taxes now with promise of spending cuts later, how confident are you that spending will ever be cut? I see this as the same concept. Repeal this now and we promise to do something in the future. Yea right….

I disagree here and I doubt that the congress will be willing to do this as well. TBH, there was more to it when it was passed the first time and it DID receive the votes. What you are proposing is no better than what Obama does and I don’t believe that anyone should sink down to his level and use end runarounds to circumvent the rules. No, something this major and critical should not be shrouded in questionable practices or we are no better than the people we oppose.

I did say that I think some advancement will be made here but even Ryan is not pushing for what actually needs to be done: the elimination of almost all tax write offs and I doubt most subsidies (which need to be eliminated altogether) will be touched. That is what I meant. I don’t see real progress here because no one has even talked about it. I think there will be movement in the right direction though, just movement that is insufficient.
This is true. It is going to take a while to phase those programs out. I think that most of them need to be merged more than eliminated. Such a process does eliminate vast levels of bureaucracy.

I can agree with this.
Here's where I think we're both......

at a disadvantage. I can't honestly say I can explain the procedure for submitting bills. Can you include the repeal as the first act of the bill? I don't see why not. I know various ideas have been discussed for improving HC but whether these have been written up and "ready to go" remains an unknown. Thus my "be prepared" comment. But I'm not sure your example of "raise taxes/cut spending" really applies here. I don't believe you could repeal Ocare without replacing it. You would be leaving this country in an even greater sense of chaos and uncertainty. That I don't see happening.

But I do think this discussion should focus on the Senate since the House will remain Pub. I could be wrong on this but I believe the Dems have been damaged just as much by the O as have the Pubs. There are several books that have come out in the past couple of months that make the point that this president has remained aloof from ALL members of Congress. If you remember Reid begging the O to step in and help them solve the problem du jour, you woul have gotten a hint of this. And it wasn't just once this happened.

The Dems do not want to get too close to the O and most run from him.

So I have my suspicions that the Dems will be most happy to return to a state of "normalcy" dealing with men who will respect them as equals. And I suspect most will be more willing to compromise. We might get some clues how they'll react in the lame duck session when they're forced to tackle the "crisis."

My remark about reconciliation was meant to be a last resort measure that I really don't think will be necessary. But it IS there hanging over their heads as an unspoken threat.

I think tax reform will be a long drawn out affair. And I really don't know how they'll handle it. Personal deductions would, of course, be easier to fix. It's the corporate loopholes that will be the real challenge once the lobbies raise their ugly heads. Except for one issue. I believe the capital gains tax has a good chance of being lowered, putting us back into world competition.

But the issue of tax reform can remain one of degree. It would work on a sliding scale, of sorts. Eliminate this many exemptions/lower the rates to X percent. No matter how far it gets, it should result in a "simpler" tax code. And perhaps a fewer number of companies paying no taxes at all.

First, on the first day, take a deep breath, bow their heads and thank their respective God and the wisdom those Gods (Mormon or Catholic) gave to the electors.

The remaining 99 days, KEEP ALL YOUR promises.

Nothing more is needed. God and the electors will be with you.

Forum List

Back