What would you have done to save the economy?

Zero-sum stimulates nothing.

All that does is create a false notion of velocity.

There's no such thing as "false velocity." It either is or it isn't.

Put aside the ideology. Massive government involvement pulled us out of the Depression. That doesn't mean it would now, but it did then.
Nonsense.

All it did is take funds away from one sector, line the pockets of those doing the expropriation and redistribution, and spread around the remainder to the peasants.

The day that gubmint creates anything at all of added value, then it can lay claim to creating jobs...Until then, all thy can do is confiscate and re(mis)allocate.

Zero-sum stimulates nothing.

All that does is create a false notion of velocity.

Put aside the ideology. Massive government involvement pulled us out of the Depression. That doesn't mean it would now, but it did then.
Nonsense.

All it did is take funds away from one sector, line the pockets of those doing the expropriation and redistribution, and spread around the remainder to the peasants.

The day that gubmint creates anything at all of added value, then it can lay claim to creating jobs...Until then, all thy can do is confiscate and re(mis)allocate.

empiricism > ideology

Small and weak for the time, and small and weak compared to today.

Of course, this argument is lost when you compared it to the war economy, which was almost a command economy as the government set prices, determined output and rationed items. The war economy was far more interventionist than the "interventionist" economy of Hoover, yet it was the war that eventually led us out of the Depression.

With supporters of the free market like you, who needs interventionists? ;)

I know, you mostly support free markets, key word mostly.

However, it wasn't the war that led us out of the depression, but the end of the war when the government mostly allowed the market to take over and relaxed their controls.

War demand is what ultimately brought us out of the economy.

fredgraph.png

That spike in the early 1940s is because of war demand during a time of high government intervention in the economy.

During the Bush years, we were in two wars and had trillions in tax cuts. According to right wing "ideology", we should have had a sparkling economy.

Instead, only 3 million jobs were created in this country in 8 years. Which were lost at the end of Bush's second term to the tune of 750,000 a MONTH.

Ame®icano;2666776 said:
Ame®icano;2666688 said:
Redistribution of wealth brought us here.

Btw, since you're promoting equality in this case, you probably wouldn't mind if we have equal flat tax rate, would ya?

Yeah, redistribution of wealth in an upward direction.

Isn't being equal in every aspect fair thing?

Nope. Equal would be if everyone had the same after tax income.

After I pay my federal income tax, I still have millions of dollars. However, a guy with a gross income of 70K per year has only $54K after taxes.

Nonsense.

empiricism > ideology
More nonsense.

You either create added value or you don't.

Your "empiricism" amounts no more than breaking my leg, handing me a crutch, then patting yourself on the back for keeping medical device manufacturers employed.

What I would I have done, is take a trillion dollars and turn it into script money. I would have divided it between our 300 million people equally to spend.

As identifiable script, it would have the following conditions put on it's use.

1.It must be spent in America and only on American made goods or services. Businesses would send the script into the federal treasury to be exchanged for USDs.
2.It could not be put in a bank or draw interest.
3.It could not be used for stocks or gambling, or federal taxes, etc.
4.It would have to spent in 365 days.

This would have had the affect of deliverying the stimulus into every local area of America, creating new jobs and new businesses.

Here is the AVG Party plan All Volunteer Government Party (AVGP)

More nonsense.

Your "empiricism" amounts no more than breaking my leg, handing me a crutch, then patting yourself on the back for keeping medical device manufacturers employed.

You're making an assumption about how the world is supposed to work, and when the world works in a way that contradicts that assumption, you dismiss it and instead resort to theory. That's why we look at the world as it is, not at the way we want it to be. The empiricist changes his belief in light of contrary evidence. The ideologue retains his belief despite contrary evidence.

There was excess capacity in the economy during the 1930s. The war increased demand and wiped out the excess capacity. We didn't recover because of tax cuts nor the free market. It doesn't matter how many broken window fallacies or broken leg analogies one wants to trot out.

Last edited:
During the Bush years, we were in two wars and had trillions in tax cuts. According to right wing "ideology", we should have had a sparkling economy.

Instead, only 3 million jobs were created in this country in 8 years. Which were lost at the end of Bush's second term to the tune of 750,000 a MONTH.

That wasn't Bush's fault, though.

Yes, tax cuts increased the deficit, and probably didn't do a whole lot to stimulate the economy, but the job losses weren't the result of the Bush administration. Pinning those losses on him isn't correct. The problems in the economy are, and were, deeper seated.

If you want to look for a culprit, look to the Fed. And look to the nation as a whole.

Travel back in time and prevent NAFTA and the policies that have allowed China to have tariffs on our goods while we have none on theirs and try and pass that off as a free market.

Our loss of Manufacturing is a direct result in our attempt though so called free markets to even the playing field and help Places like Mexico improve.

Well have they? More people than ever are trying to cross over and northern Mexico is basically controlled by Drug Cartels.

Yeah NAFTA is working great.

More nonsense.

You're making an assumption about how the world is supposed to work, and when the world works in a way that contradicts that assumption, you dismiss it and instead resort to theory. That's why we look at the world as it is, not at the way we want it to be. The empiricist changes his belief in light of contrary evidence. The ideologue retains his belief despite contrary evidence.

There was excess capacity in the economy during the 1930s. The war increased demand and wiped out the excess capacity. We didn't recover because of tax cuts nor the free market. It doesn't matter how many broken window fallacies or broken leg analogies one wants to trot out.
All the empiricist does is say; "Well, we can't really prove these half-baked theories with independently quantifiable and verifiable sensory evidence, so let's make some shit up."

Likewise, there's nothing like sterilizing and rationalizing the deaths and maiming of hundreds of thousands young men and the destruction of millions upon millions of dollars worth of useful resources, with Orwellian semantics like "excess capacity".

Un-be-lievable. :eek:

All the empiricist does is say; "Well, we can't really prove these half-baked theories with independently quantifiable and verifiable sensory evidence, so let's make some shit up."

Likewise, there's nothing like sterilizing and rationalizing the deaths and maiming of hundreds of thousands young men and the destruction of millions upon millions of dollars worth of useful resources, with Orwellian semantics like "excess capacity".

How quaintly anti-intellectual.

We have excess capacity?

Yes

TCU_Max_630_378.png

Anti-intellectual my ass.

I'm all for intellectuals when they can actually prove what they're talking about, with evidence that you can physically quantify...Short of that, all you have is a popcorn fart.

Men weren't put on the moon with hairy-fairy nebulous concepts like "excess capacity".

Teach the people to keep the Commandments of God. Because if you Keep the commandments you will prosper in the land.

How quaintly anti-intellectual.

We have excess capacity?

Yes

TCU_Max_630_378.png

but our main industry is buying things?

anything that requires we use any "excess capacity" ... Well that excess capacity will come from overseas.

Last edited:
I would have kept the prime interest rate at at around 5% since 2000.
I would have placed a tarrif on goods imported by companies that shipped their manufacturing overseas.
I would have not invaded Iraq.
I would have replaced the individual income tax with a flat rate tax on all personal income.
I would have aggressivley pursued corruption in government.
and I would have eaten lots of chocolate ;)

Three out of five ain't bad.

Forum List

Back