What would you have done to save the economy?

I would have kept the prime interest rate at at around 5% since 2000.
I would have placed a tarrif on goods imported by companies that shipped their manufacturing overseas.
I would have not invaded Iraq.
I would have replaced the individual income tax with a flat rate tax on all personal income.
I would have aggressivley pursued corruption in government.
and I would have eaten lots of chocolate ;)

Last edited:
Ok, in other words, dergulation of business would boost the economy? That what you are saying?
I was addressing the absurd notion that the feds were "out of the way" of Wall Street and the banking industry as the cause for the current economic problems, not that I believe deregulation, in and of itself, to be any kind of silver bullet.

That said, there are numerous regulations, bureaucracies and ill advised legislative moves directly responsible for the current mess, all of which should be curtailed, abolished and/or privatized.

That would be a good start.

I am not sure what he supports. Did he want deregulation?
____

It would appear less regulation, yes.

Now please explain what the "Obama Way" is that you earlier indicated, and then while you are at it, read the full article so you know that which you are attempting to respon to:
_____

Otellini went on to explain how, due to ever increasing taxes and regulation, it costs billions more to build and retain factories in the United States vs other parts of the world. The result of this significant added cost is simple – those jobs go overseas. The Intel CEO indicated that government has become increasingly anti-business under the current Democrat Party domination of the White House and Congress.

Full article here:

Obama Doesn’t Get It | Newsflavor

I would have asked the Congress to fund several nation-wide massive building projects:

Rebuilding the electrical grid, including the planning and construction of nuclear power plants; building inter and intra urban railways; and building canals for transportaton of goods/people and flood control.

I would have dug a New York to Los Angeles tunnel and named it the New York - Los Angeles Tunnel

LOL, he has no ideas, he simply repeats talking points.

"Talking points" are only ideas that you don't agree with. And not just you, everyone.

"Talking points" can be ideas, they can also be propaganda and nonsense. For three years President Hoover pretty much got out of the way and let recessions do what they do.

Which is, of course, entirely false. President Hoover upped the interventions into the market to unprecedented, until Roosevelt came along, lengths. Roosevelt actually ran his campaign against the interventions of Hoover.

The best way to have saved the economy would have been for all those who voted for Democrats in Nov, 2006 to have voted republican. Things began to go to hell right after January, 2007 when the Dems began to run the Houe and the Senate.

Wrong. Things were going wrong long before that.

OK.... well then it was put on a bannana peel to Hell.

Sure it was bad before, but all the dems know how to do is floor it and head straight for the cliff.

ThelmaLouise2.jpg

____

Now please explain what the "Obama Way" is that you earlier indicated, and then while you are at it, read the full article so you know that which you are attempting to respon to:
_____
Apparently Obama thought he could throw trillions into the few hands of the Elite and they would actually care enough to help the economy. Obama is no fan of mine on the economy.

Otellini went on to explain how, due to ever increasing taxes and regulation, it costs billions more to build and retain factories in the United States vs other parts of the world. The result of this significant added cost is simple – those jobs go overseas. The Intel CEO indicated that government has become increasingly anti-business under the current Democrat Party domination of the White House and Congress.

And why are taxes going up? Lets take that backwards to the source. The fact is capitalism cannot compete in the WTO against other economies where wages and the living standards are so low.

That brings us to deregulation and paying Americans the Mexican wages and lowering our own living standards. Or do you see a way around that?

And why are taxes going up? Lets take that backwards to the source. The fact is capitalism cannot compete in the WTO against other economies where wages and the living standards are so low.

That brings us to deregulation and paying Americans the Mexican wages and lowering our own living standards. Or do you see a way around that?
The same things were said about Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Taiwan.

How are their living standards and wages doing today, as compared to way back when?

____

_____
Apparently Obama thought he could throw trillions into the few hands of the Elite and they would actually care enough to help the economy. Obama is no fan of mine on the economy.

Snatch was a great movie.

Really enjoyed it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jbt0wBkMI]YouTube - Snatch - movie trailer[/ame]

"Talking points" are only ideas that you don't agree with. And not just you, everyone.

"Talking points" can be ideas, they can also be propaganda and nonsense. For three years President Hoover pretty much got out of the way and let recessions do what they do.

Which is, of course, entirely false. President Hoover upped the interventions into the market to unprecedented, until Roosevelt came along, lengths. Roosevelt actually ran his campaign against the interventions of Hoover.

True enough, Hoover did not sit by and play the fidel, and neither did George W. Bush, btw. The question in the OP is, what would you do, and my answer is much more than Hoover, Bush II or Obama.
Everyone agrees that Job creation is issue number one. The Oddballs blame Obama for not creating jobs and in the same breath blame him for getting in the way. Presidents alone cannot create jobs, they need to work with Congress and that has been an impossible task. What I would do if I were Obama is propose major projects, as I suggested above. This will provide the business community the resolve they need to expand and hire. Knowing major construction projects lasting years have been approved in principle by the White House and Congress would do much to restore confidence in the economy and jump start growth.
Sadly that won't happen. The dishonorable opposition lead by Limbaugh, Palin, Gingrich, McConnell and Boehner don't give a shit about anything but their personal agendas. Country first my ass.

True enough, Hoover did not sit by and play the fidel, and neither did George W. Bush, btw. The question in the OP is, what would you do, and my answer is much more than Hoover, Bush II or Obama.
Everyone agrees that Job creation is issue number one. The Oddballs blame Obama for not creating jobs and in the same breath blame him for getting in the way. Presidents alone cannot create jobs, they need to work with Congress and that has been an impossible task. What I would do if I were Obama is propose major projects, as I suggested above. This will provide the business community the resolve they need to expand and hire. Knowing major construction projects lasting years have been approved in principle by the White House and Congress would do much to restore confidence in the economy and jump start growth.
Sadly that won't happen. The dishonorable opposition lead by Limbaugh, Palin, Gingrich, McConnell and Boehner don't give a shit about anything but their personal agendas. Country first my ass.

And both Hoover and Bush were wrong. Jobs can only be created by the market. It doesn't matter whether the President works with the Congress or not, governments can't create jobs.

____

_____

It can if we want to bring the standard of living for American workers down to the standards of the countries you listed.

Hoover's interventions were small, weak and not widely followed.
t

Forum List

Back