What would you do?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by gallantwarrior, Apr 2, 2012.

1. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,143
    So, it's Spring and my pens are full of nursing moms and their babies. When I went out this morning to feed them, I hear LOTS of barking. It turns out it's my dog, but there's another dog in the pens. The stranger comes from next door. The guy there raises sled dogs and hunting hounds, there's about 30 dogs over there. The dog harassing my livestock looks like a hunter of some kind. Judging by the tracks, he's been over quite a bit lately.
    Now, I've talked to the owner of these dogs before about keeping them off my property and away from the livestock. He's not very responsive, as a matter-of-fact, they don't even live on their place currently. Animal control told me to take any action needed to protect my animals on my property.

So, what would any of you do? The options I'm looking at include:
    1) ignore the situation until the dog savages and kills some of the moms or babies. Then call the law.
    2) put out poisoned bait and let Nature take its course.
    3) just outright shoot the thing and have it over with quickly.

Any other suggestions?

2. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,287
    Shoot it if you see it.

Set traps along your fenceline and keep your dogs up. Tell your neighbor you're setting traps, and you are going to kill anything you catch.

Been here done this. The dogs that were harassing our animals ended up getting destroyed...one was a rottie and bit a little girl walking home from school in the face, one was a shepherd and got busted killing sheep, the other, I don't remember...it was the biggest of the three, a mastiff or something...I can't remember what happened to him but they had to put him down too.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    I believe that you can legally shoot that dog.
    Best check with the Sheriff's dep't first.

4. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,143
    According to Animal Control, shooting is OK, as long as it is on my property, threatening my animals. I'm actually considering using archery tackle so the noise won't bother the neighbors. Subsonic .22s are also effective on dogs at close range...

Poison is not really a good option because ravens, magpies and feral cats would all be endangered.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. laughinReaper

laughinReaper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +582
    How about catching the dog and dropping it off far away in an urban area with no collar (and hope it has no chip), from your house. It will eventually get taken to the pound and maybe adopted by a family that actually wants the responsibility. You can also try to friend the dog and feed it, maybe if he's around your farm he'll get used to your animals and be a friend to your other dog but leave the livestock alone.

That said your animals have a right to live unharassed and safe so i'd say shoot it and make it as painless for the dog as possible.You may be saving many lives by taking the one. Just seems a shame because it's the owners fault for not taking proper care, not the dogs. Dogs just being what he is naturally and trained to do. Your neighbor is an asshole.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Not much of a warrior are ye ? Shoot the piece of shit and if the dumb redneck doesn't like it, shoot him too. ( make sure you have a drop gun)

7. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,143
    I've been trying to catch it to take it back to the owner. I've done this in the past. This dog won't let me get near enough to put a rope on it.
    As far as "friending" the animal...I do not want to take the risk that it will not kill the babies (or their moms). The dog I have is a livestock guardian dog (LGD), an animal of a specific bred for generations to take care of small animals like sheep, fowl, and goats. She's not allowed to have doggie playmates, forms bad habits...

8. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    What about using a pellet gun to deter it from coming around??

9. gallantwarrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,143
    That's my next option. I have to pick up some "ammo" on the way home. Pellet rifles can sometimes mean a pretty slow death, though. Round BBs are a little less lethal and they sting nicely.

10. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,287
    I wouldn't try to catch a dog that is chasing cows. I've had dogs move aggressively towards me when I approached them when they had a cow cornered.

I've also never heard of a dog dying from a pellet gun wound. I guess it could happen, but I"ve shot dogs and used pellet guns, and had dogs all my life, and have yet to see a fatal pellet wound.

Not saying it has never happened...but I wouldn't think twice about using a pellet gun. If you can actually hit them with it, they're jim dandy and not likely to hurt your livestock if you hit them instead.

Can't say the same thing about a 30/30, which is my dog shooter of choice.