What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Againsheila, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Here I sit, at the church, giving out lunches to the homeless. I keep thinking about how if I had the money, I'd do more. One man came in and the sun is just killing him, I wish we could hand out sunscreen. I'd love to have the money to put together a summer kit and a winter kit that we could hand out to the homeless. I'd love to be able to give out bus tickets.

I'd like to be able to give out more food when they've eaten our lunches and are still hungry.

If I won the lottery, I'd like to work the cash register at a grocery store for 5 minutes, and when it comes time to pay just say, "No, it's on me.".

What would you do, if you had the money? I mean to help others, not the buy a new car and pay your bills things, but what you would do after that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    i dont know i have gotten pretty jaded of late...there is a free food program here..and its the same old same old...really nice cars etc....

i cant go anywhere it seems without being pan handled....happened to me last at about 11:50 today....at wendy's...the kid left without his wallet blah blah blah i gave him a dollar....

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    There's no end to "generosity". No matter what you are giving away, there will always be somebody there to accept your gift. There will always be the poor around us. Being kind hearted and generous is a noble thing until people learn how to simply take advantage of you. I'm not saying don't be kind hearted or generous. What I am saying though is to be on guard against people who will take advantage of you or the situation.

To be more specific and to directly answer your question, I'd like to buy the world a Coke...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I don't know what I'll do when I have the money. But I am trying to learn the discipline now to handle it with good judgment and generousity when I do

5. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,082
    I would offer scholarships.

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Find a way to provide good homes for homeless children would be where I started.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Gee, I thought more people would think about the good they could do. Guess I really am an idealist.

8. 2Parties

2Parties Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    If I had more money (think millionaire) honestly I think I would be constantly at angst. I'd feel guilty, worthless, and unfulfilled. What I think I would do is live comfortably (nothing more than what would be considered upper-middle class) and try to help those who genuinely need it. This would likely be older folks who do not have children willing or able to support them. It could also include people who have mental health issues or just about anyone.

I think I understand why so many people with money do drugs or aren't mentally stable. I think I would be screwed up in so many ways if I had a bunch of money.

9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732
    I'd donate time instead of money by volunteering for an adult literacy program. The time commitment is more than I can handle right now - but it's on my to do list when I eventually retire.

10. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Do you know the story "the giving tree"