What would you do in this situation?

What would you do

• Keep it as a windfall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return the extra money

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
I am the only true capitalist on this forum.

You would not really keep it, would you?

To be honest, I don't know. The bank would have to eat it no matter what account it came from. Banks are being bailed out by the average Joe.

It depends on how much of a Robin Hood I felt like that day.

And how much I had to drink.

And whether I hit the wall of the drive through teller.

I am the only true capitalist on this forum.

You would not really keep it, would you?

To be honest, I don't know. The bank would have to eat it no matter what account it came from. Banks are being bailed out by the average Joe.

It depends on how much of a Robin Hood I felt like that day.

And how much I had to drink.

And whether I hit the wall of the drive through teller.

Your sober self would do the right thing, I am sure of it. :eusa_whistle:

There used to be a small pharmacist next to my doctor's office. When I went in there I would let my son get a lollipop and I would pay for it. One day, I got back in the car before I realized he'd taken a lollipop out of habit and I hadn't paid for it. I went back into the store to pay for it. It was what $.10? I can't understand anybody that would take something that isn't theirs regardless of whether it's worth 10 cents or $100,000.
My situation was that money was pretty tight and I was sending in a credit card payment.

I looked at the money order and wondered "do I really need the $50.00 that badly"?

I guess y'all already know the answer.

I probably edited it wrong.

It is 8:40 AM here and I can't get a beer until 9:AM

Keep the money and consider it a personal bail out.

Then I would chant down my conscience with “You are too big to fail. You are too big to fail."

LOL!

I don't know if that's what you'd REALLY do ....

But that was a funny answer.

Then there are the morally correct answers: "return it!"

Of course, there are also answers in between. One of these is a psychological option (albeit still not honest):

Write on the envelope: "for my $100.00 check you gave me too many $20.00 dollar bills. I am returning the extra ones."

And then you insert say five of those new twenty dollar bills. :eusa_whistle:

They may always suspect you of ripping off $500.00 dollars, you thief, and they'd be right, but that would be REAL tough to PROVE.

:evil::cool:

I also have to uphold the venerable traditions of my glorious nation, which was founded by convicts.

And don't forget no Australian is true blue until they have lopped a Tall Poppy or two.

You might be helping the teller?

Perhaps she hated the rat race, really wanted to go off and climb Mount Kilimanjaro?

Now she will have the free time to follow her dream.

I am a dream weaver by keeping that money.

PS. How did I know the teller was a female?

The tellers drawer would be short, and she or he'd likely get fired. Do you know how little they are paid to begin with? It's shameful. I would have to give it back. Hell, I saw a jogger when my kids were small, bills were steep, and my car was one I had to push down a hill to start, she was dropping WADS of cash and just about to round a corner. Of course I beeped the horn and in my best Jerry Lewis, "HEY LAAADY" voice caught her just in time.
I always felt just a little sick at moments like those. Can't help myself, but sometimes wish I could.

I could not live with myself, until I returned it.

There is a record of the bank tellers drawer, that is why I would return it

It is pretty obvious that she got the envelopes mixed up, that money came from someones account
I believe what happened was that it was a very busy noon-time with lots of customers backed up with several tellers behind the bank window handling transactions, one of whom was a trainee. On a check there is a numeric amount and a "written out" amount. Whoever the teller was who entered the amount on the ledger did it correctly. That person must have handed it off to an assistant to fill the envelope with the twenties. There must have been a "hook" on the top of the "1" (a look at the face of that check accessed online shows that was the case) and it was read as a 7 thus $700 and not $100, and I was given 600 too much.

I checked the account on-line and only one transaction happened today; for $100.

The teller could fall under suspicion. And extra $20? I'd probably keep it. 6 times too much? Somebody somewhere is sweating.

$20 is a lot of money for some people. Most tellers I know don't even make that much in an hour...you just stole an hour of their work time from them. How nice.

Forum List

Back