What would you do if you win

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
What would you guys do with the 120 million dollar payout in the 350 million dollar mega millions lottery. If taken in payment you get 8 million a year for 20 years.

I would go on a year long vacation to New Zealand after setting my immediate family up with their mortgages paid and their kids college funds filled. Then I would play the top 100 golf courses in the world a few times.

For fun I would go up to homeless people asleep under overpasses and change their lives by setting them up with jobs and a place to live.

Of course I would have to have the finest camera equipment and a Macintosh system that only someone with a couple of million in Apple stock could get.

I guess a convertible Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish would be nice to tool around in while throwing packets of 20 dollar bills at crowds downtown waiting for the bus.
http://www.astonmartins.com/vanquish/v12_vanquish_NCE.htm

I would also create a college fund to sponsor free thinking young people with creativity that I, of course, would judge. In other words no backwards hat or shell necklace wearing, rap listening followers but individuals that refuse to copy their peers, that think different, that listen to jazz in high school and are ridiculed for it. Independent political thinkers also.

I would also buy a bunch of land in southwest Colorado and Utah and get an extreme make over so I could someday maybe get a date.

sitarro said:
What would you guys do with the 120 million dollar payout in the 350 million dollar mega millions lottery. If taken in payment you get 8 million a year for 20 years.

I would go on a year long vacation to New Zealand after setting my immediate family up with their mortgages paid and their kids college funds filled. Then I would play the top 100 golf courses in the world a few times.

For fun I would go up to homeless people asleep under overpasses and change their lives by setting them up with jobs and a place to live.

Of course I would have to have the finest camera equipment and a Macintosh system that only someone with a couple of million in Apple stock could get.

I guess a convertible Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish would be nice to tool around in while throwing packets of 20 dollar bills at crowds downtown waiting for the bus.

I would also create a college fund to sponsor free thinking young people with creativity that I, of course, would judge. In other words no backwards hat or shell necklace wearing, rap listening followers but individuals that refuse to copy their peers, that think different, that listen to jazz in high school and are ridiculed for it. Independent political thinkers also.

I would also buy a bunch of land in southwest Colorado and Utah and get an extreme make over so I could someday maybe get a date.

What if they listen to jazz and hip hop? :)

Besides all the usual answers of taking care of family and friends and what not, I would build a state-of-the-art listening room and experience the purest audio quality known to man. I would fill the adjoining room with the thousands and thousands of cd's and records that I've never had the resources to accumulate.

There are too many places that I wish to travel, but first on my list would be a nice, long vacation to the galapagos islands.

But most importantly, I would enjoy wearing my hat backwards, sitting down at a restaurant, and observing the look on people's faces when I leave a monstrous tip. I think there is no greater joy in the world then shattering someone's pre-conceived notions of who you are and what you are about.

That, and I'd buy some really tacky diamond-encrusted gold-spinners to put on my lawnmower.

sitarro said:
Buy some cheap beer in memory of the “good old days”, then change my phone number and vanish!

I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man. Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money. Well, the kind of chicks that'd double up on me do...

Pay off mortgages for everyone in the family.

College fund for all the neices and nephews.

Would like to set up a trust to provide for the people the nobody knows about who needs help. Extreme Home Makeover is fine, etc...but what about the single mom of 3 who is working at the grocery story during the day and UPS at night trying to make ends meet while taking care of her kids? Maybe she needs a reliable automobile, or her rent paid for 6 months, etc. I'm not going to give her a bunch of cash and say see ya. But sometime small to help kick start or keep going.

Prowl through Walmart/Target/Kmart, etc over the holidays and around the start of school looking for families with carts full of stuff - but "look" like they can't really afford it. Those people are doing for their kids and not for themselves. Then when they check-out and get the total, I would give the cashier a couple of hundred dollars (or whatever) to put toward their total bill.

We actually did that for some of the Katrina victims up here that we would see in the grocery store.

And, of course, travel. Personally, I would want to see Ajax, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, and Real Madrid play soccer on successive weekends - while spending a week sight-seeing before and after each game.

The ClayTaurus said:
I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man. Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money. Well, the kind of chicks that'd double up on me do...
Slut!!! :)

no1tovote4 said:
I would find out how many worthless PhD's I could earn in a lifetime, travel every break from 'school'....

Another good idea that I forgot... I would definitely invest in further educating myself.

The usual stuff first...pay off all my bills (including mortgages etc) and my kid's bills. Set up college funds for the grand kids and all that good stuff.

Do some travelling (in particular, Scotland). Buy a new and bigger boat.

Like some of you, I would look for some folks who needed a helping hand ... try to make sure they aren't habitual loosers, drug addicts, etc and then try to make life a little easier for them...all of course without them knowing who did it.

I would also set up some funds for starting/helping small businesses that I might find interesting.

The ClayTaurus said:

I also would be tempted to yield to debauchery.

Only one girl at a time, though.

And wouldn't the lump-sum payout on $350 mil be a lot more
than 120 mil?

Still, if the one-time payout was $120 mil, it would be much better
to take it than the 20-year payout.

The 20-year payout nets you 8 x 20= $160 mil.

On the other hand, If you invest $120 mil consevatively,
for a return of 3% net a year, you clear $72 mil in 20 years,
which added to the principal gives you a take of $192 mil.

I wouldn't take the payments, I'd take the lump sum. So, is that 120M lump sum?

If so, here goes:

$120M -
Every person I would be giving Money too would go down with me to the Lottery Office, and we'd sign for the money as a group. This way, taxes are only paid once. If I were to give them money outright, they'd have to pay taxes on it again.

Balance:
$100M -

$10M set-aside for various charities/churches, etc, as tithe. This money would be spread out over time, as occasions arose.

Balance:
$90M

Now, I'd start gettin' happy.

I would have -Cp drive me and the family 'car shopping'.

My wife and kids would drive home in: Merc. E55 AMG Wagon

-Cp would then drive me up to Bellevue, WA and the 'really cool cars'.

I'm pretty sure I'd drive home in:

S71M.jpg

And -Cp would need a new 'family car', thus would drive home in:

Cadillac-ESV1.jpg

After he brought the truck home, I'd take him back up to get him whichever personal car he wanted. :)

Balance:
$88M

I'd probably buy a house similiar to this: http://www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=6353340

Balance:
$83M

I'd also buy/lease a condo in Michigan, Philly PA, Myrtle Beach SC, New York City, and Dallas or Houston.

Balance:
$75M

I'd hire gop_jeff to set up my finances. Of the $75M remaining, I'd take $50M and put them in 5 graduated funds of some sort. A $10M in each, with the first having a 1 year interest payment, the 2nd a 2-year, and so on.

Figure, what? A MONEY could make 5% return on $10M, right?

$500,000 the first year. Minus tax? $350,000?. Of that, give Jeff a salary of $200,000.

Next year, get about $700000 return...minus Jeff's salary of $200,000. and so on and so on.

Blah - too much money to deal with. I'd give a LOT of money way at various times, based on 'my gut feeling'. :)

USViking said:
than 120 mil?

I may be wrong, but my understanding (and it may vary by state) is...
the 20 year payout is not transferable to anyone, even family. So I always do the cash payout thing..Hell, invest it and draw the interest..Then the family has it if you, well you know.

The ClayTaurus said:
What if they listen to jazz and hip hop? :){/QUOTE}

I would have to wonder what caused such a conflict in your head. I tried to watch the vibe awards show and couldn't handle 2 minutes. . . Aughhhhhh! I don't understand how real musicians can keep a straight face and say that they are excited to hear some dimwitted thug that is nothing but a narcisistic, foul mouthed clown with nothing to say and has no talent whatsoever. JZ, Icecube, Snoop Dogg, if white people would do the same shit they would be laughed off the stage. How can you not see that these dimwits are nothing but a bunch of tasteless idiots that think that they are doing something different but are actually indistinguishable from each other. They wear the same assinine uniform, say basically the same thing, and do nothing for anyone but themselves. They also wear tacky huge necklaces, rings, and gold teeth . . .how can you look at that and say to yourself "man do I respect him"?

The ClayTaurus said:
But most importantly, I would enjoy wearing my hat backwards, sitting down at a restaurant, and observing the look on people's faces when I leave a monstrous tip. I think there is no greater joy in the world then shattering someone's pre-conceived notions of who you are and what you are about.{/QUOTE}

You are such a rebel.

The ClayTaurus said:
That, and I'd buy some really tacky diamond-encrusted gold-spinners to put on my lawnmower.

As long as you don't buy a Vanquish and wear that hat backwards in it, or lower it more and put on spinners . . .great. :coffee3:

I have never worn a hat except maybe a crushable Indiana Jones style when it's raining or I'm in the desert working on a golf course in a cart without a top. I guess because I don't follow team sports and have hair, I"ve never needed one.

dmp,
That Saleen is one gorgeous car but how do you get it up the driveway? I would also feel a bit claustrophobic in something that size that the top doesn't come off of.

I did some work on a course in New Jersey where I saw one of those Vanquish convertibles in the parking lot with the top down. Must be nice when you can leave the top down on a car worth that much while you go play a 5 hour round of golf. That course had a lot of money people, Joe Pesci walked up while I was measuring and drawing a green and asked me "what the FUCK are you supposed to be doing?". It was like being in one of his movies.

Take the $8M for 20 years.

First year: pay off houses for family, and move my family into a nicer home. I like what I have, but we would upscale just a bit. That would cost about $1.5M. I'd set up a 5-year CD laddering scheme, which would set up residual income, with $6M of that money. The other $500K would go towards stuff like a nice TV, a lot of musical equipment, and of course, a new car for the wife.

Second year: take $5M, add to the CD ladders, give the rest away.

Years 3-20: Become a philanthropist.

sitarro said:
dmp,
That Saleen is one gorgeous car but how do you get it up the driveway? I would also feel a bit claustrophobic in something that size that the top doesn't come off of.

I did some work on a course in New Jersey where I saw one of those Vanquish convertibles in the parking lot with the top down. Must be nice when you can leave the top down on a car worth that much while you go play a 5 hour round of golf. That course had a lot of money people, Joe Pesci walked up while I was measuring and drawing a green and asked me "what the FUCK are you supposed to be doing?". It was like being in one of his movies.

I have a flat driveway...and which I get rich, I'll have a large wide, flatter driveway. :) Claustrophobic? Naw - the s7 is a good-sized car.
:)

sitarro said:
I would have to wonder what caused such a conflict in your head.
When done correctly, Jazz and Hip-hop can go together nicely. Guru, Digable Planets, and others.
sitarro said:
I tried to watch the vibe awards show and couldn't handle 2 minutes. . . Aughhhhhh!
The vibe awards are very difficult to try and watch, we agree here. Then again, I hate all music awards ceremonies.
sitarro said:
I don't understand how real musicians can keep a straight face and say that they are excited to hear some dimwitted thug that is nothing but a narcisistic, foul mouthed clown with nothing to say and has no talent whatsoever. JZ, Icecube, Snoop Dogg, if white people would do the same shit they would be laughed off the stage.
You do have a point, main-stream hip hop is very narcisistic. I've never thought Ice Cube was a good rapper, just angry. Snoop Dogg has never really had a ton of talent, but I'll disagree with you on Jay-Z. He's probably not very musically inclined, but he is a true wordsmith and his songs are chock full of metaphors, clever ones at that. The man does not write a single word down on paper ever, he's memorized every song that he's ever recorded in his head. Does he engage in the cliche side of rap from time to time? Of course. Does that mean he's a no-talent ass clown? Hardly.
sitarro said:
How can you not see that these dimwits are nothing but a bunch of tasteless idiots that think that they are doing something different but are actually indistinguishable from each other.
Because I don't listen to the idiots who bring nothing new to the table. Rap all sounds the same to you like Miles Davis and John Coltrane sound the same to someone not indoctrinated propperly to jazz. *shrug*
sitarro said:
They wear the same assinine uniform, say basically the same thing, and do nothing for anyone but themselves..
You're dead wrong if you think that rappers like Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg do nothing for anyone but themselves. Dead wrong.
sitarro said:
They also wear tacky huge necklaces, rings, and gold teeth . . .how can you look at that and say to yourself "man do I respect him"?
The bling culture is definitely a downside to the commercialization of hip-hop. But my respect isn't determined by what a person wears. There's plenty of assholes who wear suits, and plenty of nice, intelligent people who never will. I know that's going to make you batty, so, I'm sorry.

Much of what you complain about is more pop culture than it is hip-hop culture, IMO.

And, to bring this back to something relevant to the topic, I would use some of the money to take Sitarro to some non-mainstream hip-hops shows, where bling is absent and cussing isn't a pre-requisite, probably instrumental ones to ease him in. If he would oblige, I'd pay for twice as many jazz/classical shows of his choice, just for being a good sport, and because live jazz is fantastic.

sitarro said:

Id ask how the heck I got a ticket since i dont buy lottery tickets:)

USViking said:
I also would be tempted to yield to debauchery.

Only one girl at a time, though.

than 120 mil?

They double dip tax you though. You get only about $120m out of $350 to begin with. Then you lose 39% on income tax that year. So your down to 73.2m. Now if you take 8m a year for 20 years, you only lose 3.12m a year to income tax. After the 20 years (with no interest gains), youd end up with 97.6m. Thats 24.4 m dollars man!

Besides, who can spend 4.88mil in a year let alone 73m in a year?

Forum List

Back