What Would You Do If This Happened To You?

Everyone knows who snitched.

I would assume the guy is just a blowhard because I've worked with him for years....but still...I would tell him personally what I thought about he said. The guy isn't part of any groups and doesn't have the loner type personality. He's just a dipshit with a big mouth. However, I would feel bad personally if anything I reported caused him to be in serious trouble.

From what you stated was said, no. Calling the authorities in was not justified. Unless the story was "cleaned up" for you, and there was more said than you were told - a specific, credible threat toward either the POTUS or one or more of his supporters. Or multiple incidents that show a pattern of obsessiveness. Or the guy has a long history of violent threats and actions against others. Then I would have been concerned. I don't know the guy, but if any of those are possible then I wouldn't be too hard on the snitch. There have been a lot of psychos going postal lately, he may have felt right or wrong that he was saving a life.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who was there and saw it go down. But from what you've posted here there's nothing that should get the guy in serious trouble. Unless the Feds find his stash, that is. :lol:

The guy is a crack-head. In that case it would be a good thing. But according to the link I provided there has been a increase of threats reported by 400 percent over the Bush Adminstration. I thought this wasn't possible. Is this because of paranoia on the part of the Administration or because of some mindless following that seems to think he can do no wrong and thinks he has to be protected at all costs. Only 38 percent would vote for Obama today....but most of America still seems to like him. I'm not sure what that means. If you don't like him enough to vote for him I don't think you really like him.

There's a difference between liking somebody and thinking he's probably a good guy and being willing to vote for him. A lot of people felt that way about Bush, for example. Great guy to have a beer with, crappy President. Or Carter, a lot of folks thought he was a good man, just a lousy leader. That happens.

I don't think the paranoia is on the Administration's part, Obama didn't pick up the phone and report a threat on himself. That's kind of ridiculous. Look at the bigger picture. People are more scared in many ways than they were 3 or 4 years ago. We've had a string of incidents in the news with psychos shooting things up and flying planes into buidlings. The economy isn't getting back on track with jobs, just about everybody is either out of work, scared of being out of work or knows somebody who's out of work. That kind of uncertainty makes people nervous. We have the political rhetoric escalating on both sides coming into midterms, and for those who immerse themselves in it that can create a lot of fear as the wild claims bounce around in the echo chamber. Who knows what this guy was thinking?

Like I said, it would be interesting to talk to somebody or preferably more than one person who was there. But a general statement like the one you posted isn't going to get anyone in trouble unless they already have a pattern or there's more to the story. If the Secret Service AND FBI are really "all over him" for one stupid comment, consider that he might also be under investigation for something else. Has he been dealing, perhaps? Do his fellow employees know something you don't and there's more than one reason that call was made?

There are a lot of sides to every story. Without all the facts, it's hard to say.

In my lifetime, there have been two Presidents shot. Anyone that makes a statement like that in my presence, no matter what their politics are, or what the politics of the current president are, they will be reported. Just too many looney tunes out there that would make it a third president in my lifetime.

Unless they said THEY were gonna do it, YOU are an idiot.

It's a crime to make threats against the life of the president, irrespective of any present perceived ability to carry them out.

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

18 U.S.C. Sec. 871(a).

About.com: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/871.shtml

Except he made no threat He said he wished someone else would do it, that is NOT a threat. Once again for the slow, UNLESS the person said HE was gonna do it, he can say all he wants that he wished or did not mind if something happened to the President. That is not against the law.

It's a crime to make threats against the life of the president, irrespective of any present perceived ability to carry them out.

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

18 U.S.C. Sec. 871(a).

About.com: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/871.shtml

Except he made no threat He said he wished someone else would do it, that is NOT a threat. Once again for the slow, UNLESS the person said HE was gonna do it, he can say all he wants that he wished or did not mind if something happened to the President. That is not against the law.

I am aware of this, RGS. I just thought the law was an interesting side-note to the convo.

Part of me thinks the moron deserves the hassle. But for me the douche who turned him in well is a douche. If he's not man enough to confront the moron he should let it go.
I don't call that a specific threat to the Pres.

In todays world you have to take every threat seriously. Terrorism and assasination are part of our lives.

You have to investigate hundreds of potential threats to find one legitimate threat. That is what keeps us safe in a post 9-11 world

If the guy had said "I would like to see my wife dead"

Would you drop a dime on him?

libtards prob threatened Bush till the cows come home. Unless the dude had specific threats of "I want to kill Obama" the guy who rated him is a douchebag

In todays world you have to take every threat seriously. Terrorism and assasination are part of our lives.

You have to investigate hundreds of potential threats to find one legitimate threat. That is what keeps us safe in a post 9-11 world
I would say that one has to take the default position that one is not joshing as a post-Columbine change, to be honest.

The guy was not arrested. He was only questioned. There is no violation of his rights.

You call up the FBI and say "A guy I work with who is a known crackhead said he would like to see the President dead"

it is up to the FBI if they want to investigate it

A few months ago an incident happened the facts of which I haven't fully discovered but the jist of it goes like this:

Some guy that works in one of our shops was talking about politics and let slip he wouldn't mind it if somebody shot Obama. Now this guy is white and pretty much an idiot. He's got a record of drug abuse and in my opinion he's just about the most worthless worker we have here.

So as usual he's talking smack and he lets it slip he'd like to see Obama dead. Unfortunately for him he chose to say this in front of the wrong person. A guy who I like personally and never have had a problem with. The guy just happens to be black. I'm not saying that's the primary reason, but for some reason he felt the need to report what Mr Worthless said to the authorities. Within days the FBI and the Secret Service were all up in his ass. I don't mind this because the guy is an idiot...but isn't this going too far?

Seems worthy of an investigation to me. I'm sure they won't find anything, but they will probably scare this guy's shit to liquid.

Incredibly dumb thing to say... he brought it on himself. No matter where you lie on the political spectrum.

A few months ago an incident happened the facts of which I haven't fully discovered but the jist of it goes like this:

Some guy that works in one of our shops was talking about politics and let slip he wouldn't mind it if somebody shot Obama. Now this guy is white and pretty much an idiot. He's got a record of drug abuse and in my opinion he's just about the most worthless worker we have here.

So as usual he's talking smack and he lets it slip he'd like to see Obama dead. Unfortunately for him he chose to say this in front of the wrong person. A guy who I like personally and never have had a problem with. The guy just happens to be black. I'm not saying that's the primary reason, but for some reason he felt the need to report what Mr Worthless said to the authorities. Within days the FBI and the Secret Service were all up in his ass. I don't mind this because the guy is an idiot...but isn't this going too far?

Seems worthy of an investigation to me. I'm sure they won't find anything, but they will probably scare this guy's shit to liquid.

Good.

It sounds like you have a fantastic work environment.:tongue::tongue::tongue:
I imagine the owner is considering a move to Asia.
Clarksville. That's glassy eyed territory isn't it ?
A big army base, as I vaguely recall from my stint in the early seventies.:eusa_eh:

libtards prob threatened Bush till the cows come home. Unless the dude had specific threats of "I want to kill Obama" the guy who rated him is a douchebag

This is not a Democrat/Republican issue. The rules have not changed. If you make an implied threat against the President, there is a chance you will be investigated.

I think this is one of those " Ya' had to be there" kinds of questions.

Reads to me like an overreaction, but who knows?

Not at all. This guy might may not be able to get close enough to the president, but perhaps he might find an Obama supporter would suffice. Let the cops deal with it. If there is nothing there, so be it. Too many crazies out there today.

I just hope he doesn't find out who snitched.

Everyone knows who snitched.

I would assume the guy is just a blowhard because I've worked with him for years....but still...I would tell him personally what I thought about he said. The guy isn't part of any groups and doesn't have the loner type personality. He's just a dipshit with a big mouth. However, I would feel bad personally if anything I reported caused him to be in serious trouble.

A good reason not to hire Dimocrats.

Not at all. This guy might may not be able to get close enough to the president, but perhaps he might find an Obama supporter would suffice. Let the cops deal with it. If there is nothing there, so be it. Too many crazies out there today.

I just hope he doesn't find out who snitched.

Wrong answer. Unless he made a SPECIFIC threat and had some even tiny chance of carrying it out it IS NOT a matter for the cops. I am free to say I wish someone were dead. Or that it would not bother me if someone got killed. Or even "it would not bother me if someone got assassinated". NONE of those statements are criminal acts. Nor are they suspicious or require Police investigation.

You should probably read up on the law. Making threats against the Person or family is a federal offense.

Title 18

There was a graduate student at Purdue that is likely in Gitmo for making some threats against the Bush and Cheney family. The guy was a harmless looney from Pakistan who'd been a grad student for like 10+ years. He's god knows where now.

The Secret Service takes all these threats seriously and will react swiftly to them. To my understanding this stance it totally legal. You have the right to say stupid things. You have no protection against the consequences of your words.

If the guy had said "I would like to see my wife dead"

Would you drop a dime on him?

No, not without more rightwinger. Something like "Well, the life insurance on my wife vested. Gonna have to sign up for E-Harmony right after the funeral."

But here's the difference: making a threat against the president is a completed crime. There need be no perceived ability to carry it out; it is still criminal. Threatening one's wife is not. It's akin to shouting "I have a bomb!" in the airport.

I would say that one has to take the default position that one is not joshing as a post-Columbine change, to be honest.

That's my thought too. After Columbine, you have to take everything seriously. I know on campus I'm a bit ansy once a student starts to get visibly agressive.

Forum List

Back