what would you change about the US Constitution?

buddhallah_the_christ

Dec 4, 2014
It is not easy to change the Constitution of the country but however...
Let's get the easiest one out of the way and throw out the electoral college. It's buggery. Beyond that there are clearly some issues with our population that need help (More informed voters, impartial media, etc) that could be fixed, but regarding actual text of the Constitution, what would you change if you had one free amendment to push through?

I'd remove that Ottendorf cypher off the back. It presents too much of a target for treasure hunters.

Let's get the easiest one out of the way and throw out the electoral college. It's buggery. Beyond that there are clearly some issues with our population that need help (More informed voters, impartial media, etc) that could be fixed, but regarding actual text of the Constitution, what would you change if you had one free amendment to push through?
I'd change it into plain simple language, adding a lot of detail to cover modern day situations and circumstances. EXAMPLE: Make circumstantial court cases illegal. Unrestricted free speech. Taxation equal across the board. Illegal immigration severely punished. Fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade a law. Government spending limited to taxes collected. War as real war, and not diplomatic wars. Corruption by elected officials punishable by death. Gold backed currency. Foreign aid limited to emergencies. Eminent Domain laws restricted to the benefit of the general public, no exceptions. A "one-term" limit for all elected representatives, the president included. Corporate and business bailouts illegal. Subsidies only on an emergency basis. Ensure the right to privacy. Taxing personal property, especially homes, strictly illegal.

I'd remove that Ottendorf cypher off the back. It presents too much of a target for treasure hunters.

Oh wait, maybe that is the Declaration of Independence. I think the Constitution has Jefferson's honey-do list on the back. Could be wrong.

The second amendment need to be revised. I'd write in a clause mandating revision and change at five year intervals to prevent things like the second amendment being alive despite having served its purpose long ago.

I think Americans should have to start quartering soldiers in their homes

It will make them appreciate the military more

The pity of it is, the Constitution is fine as it currently reads. The problem is that the Courts have "interpreted" it into extinction.

This would be a whole lot better country if the Tenth Amendment were taken seriously.

Note to "budd....."

Words have meanings. Look up "buggery."

Ninth Amendment: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Tenth Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I would repeal the second, the ninth, and the tenth amendments. The tenth amendment could be used to repeal most of the economic, environmental, and civil rights legislation passed during the twentieth century.

I would add an amendment weakening the Supreme Court. I see little justification in the Supreme Court. I think the voters, and the politicians they elect should decide what the Constitution means.

My philosophy about the Constitution is fairly simple. The Constitution is not the absolute truth. It is nothing more than one way to organize a democratic government. If the constitution does not specifically say something we should assume that it is silent on the topic, and leaves it up to the voters.

The whole Constitution needs to be written over according to the modern age.

As long as the electorate is as polarized as it is I think we should hold off on a Second Constitutional Convention. I think we should wait until there is a broad general consensus about what the government should do and not do.

I lack reverence for the Constitution. I think it could be worse than it is.

1. Fiscal Reform: Per capita expenditures in any federal program shall not increase in any year that the budget is not balanced.

2. Structural Reform: Terms: 6 years for President (1 term limit), 4 years for House (12 year limits for House and Senate).

3. Legal Reform: Reaffirm 9th and 10th Amendments and prohibit Reverse Incorporation; Repeal 17th Amendment.

Nothing. I'd put it in a paper shredder, then burn it. It's been changed, amended, and interpreted so much at this point the original has no modern relevance.

I would add an amendment that says that the federal Constitution shall be strictly construed against the federal government so that federal powers are limited to those affirmatively conveyed upon them, as opposed to the alternative view that the Feds can do anything that is not expressly forbidden by the constitution.

The constitution is fine. Our governments--federal, state and local--needs to follow the Bill of Rights. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Amendments have especially been under attack in recent decades.

Interesting. There appear to be a couple "Tenthers" out there, who want the Federal Government - and particularly the USSC - to take the Tenth Amendment seriously. I wholeheartedly agree.

My plan would be as follows: Have some brave Congressperson introduce a Constitutional Amendment to REPEAL the 10th - in effect, giving the Federal government the "power" to do anything it wants to do. This is basically where we are now.

But once the state legislatures started debating the Amendment, they would not only unanimously reject it, they would begin demanding that the Feds back off in areas where they have usurped state powers - for example, in re-defining what the states can call "marriage." The debate would also educate the American population on what the 10th Amendment is, and why it is important.

Interesting. There appear to be a couple "Tenthers" out there, who want the Federal Government - and particularly the USSC - to take the Tenth Amendment seriously. I wholeheartedly agree.

My plan would be as follows: Have some brave Congressperson introduce a Constitutional Amendment to REPEAL the 10th - in effect, giving the Federal government the "power" to do anything it wants to do. This is basically where we are now.

But once the state legislatures started debating the Amendment, they would not only unanimously reject it, they would begin demanding that the Feds back off in areas where they have usurped state powers - for example, in re-defining what the states can call "marriage." The debate would also educate the American population on what the 10th Amendment is, and why it is important.

Forum List

Back