What would we (USA) gain with an Obama presidency?

42Presidents

CFT #1
Jul 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
With such a high cost election in progress and a very passionate wave of supporters on both sides of the aisle, the expectations for one candidate or the other appear to be extremely high. So what should we expect with an Obama presidency? (I will ask the same question for McCain in a separate posting)

and a very passionate wave of supporters on both sides of the aisle

Ummm, what election have you been following? McCain is widely regarded as the "not Barack" candidate. He's the Kerry of this election. Even the conservatives on this MB aren't getting behind him. They are against Obama, instead of for McCain.

Good point. I should change that to a wave of supporters on one side and a segment of grudgingly and unsatisfied voter bloc on the other.

Ummm, what election have you been following? McCain is widely regarded as the "not Barack" candidate. He's the Kerry of this election. Even the conservatives on this MB aren't getting behind him. They are against Obama, instead of for McCain.

Oh you wish!

I'll tell you what we could expect, theoretically, if Obama were elected president (which of course will never happen):

Economic collapse
Collapse of the military
Elimination of security, increased terrorist attacks

Did I miss anything? Oh, and:

A huge decrease in medical skill, treatment and availability.

With such a high cost election in progress and a very passionate wave of supporters on both sides of the aisle, the expectations for one candidate or the other appear to be extremely high. So what should we expect with an Obama presidency? (I will ask the same question for McCain in a separate posting)

Nothing-----its always best to expect nothing. Especially from a politician. Oh ya--expect change--I forgot. :D

Well maybe it could be fun, after all....except for the bombs, starvation and such...

1. 2-3 appointments to the USSC of liberal (in the parlance of the day) justices
2. Another (probably successful) attempt to pass universal health care legislation that will be in all likelihood muddled, but a first step.
3. A higher marginal tax rate for high wage earners and possible increase in the ceiling for FICA taxes.
4. A quicker withdrawal from the conflict in Iraq (the result of which I have no idea).
5. An immigration reform package that includes a means for currently illegal aliens to attain legal status, coupled with some tough sounding enforcement measures of dubious utility.
6. A restoration (at least temporarily) of international goodwill towards the US.
7. A climate control package that increases funding towards renewable sources of energy and (possibly) increases fuel efficiency standards on automobiles. Probable adoption to an international climate agreement that will be honored as much in breach as in adherence.
8. Modest increases in overseas development funding.
9. A very deliberate and realist foreign policy that shies away from ideological (although idealistic may be a better term) stances and pursuits.
10. Increased domestic funding in education, urban renewal, and job training initiatives.
11. Greater general competence from the federal government (which I believe would also occur with a McCain presidency).
12. Continued expansion of the free trade regime.

This is just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Which would result in huge steps backwards in US medicine, economics and safety.

Thank you. THank you very much.

Boo.. you dumb friggin idiots... How about currency stabilization and maybe wipping out that record deficit that the whitehouse just announced today...

Blah blah raise you taxes blah... You can cut taxes till the cows come home but if you cant control inflation your getting bitchslapped by a backdoor tax...

idiots...

Oh you wish!

I'll tell you what we could expect, theoretically, if Obama were elected president (which of course will never happen):

Economic collapse
Collapse of the military
Elimination of security, increased terrorist attacks

Did I miss anything? Oh, and:

A huge decrease in medical skill, treatment and availability.

Bwha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,haaa.....

Oh, my, I haven't laughed that hard in I don't know when.

Let's take these one at a time shall we....

1. Economic collapse.....That is already happening. George Bush has borrowed so much money from China to fund the Iraq War that we are headed in that direction. Obama will bring the troops home and restore fiscal responsibility.

2. Collapse of the military....We have the finest military in the world and thousands of nuclear weapons. We spend more on our military than anyone else in the world. This will not change much except our military will no longer be bogged down occupying two countries, and therefore will be able to react much better to any threat.

3. Elimination of security, increased terrorist attacks....By changing world opinion of the United States, Obama will blunt many of the propaganda victories that George Bush has given AQ and give us many new allies in the "war on terror." Also Obama has promised to go after Bin Laden in Pakistan if we get solid intelligence of his whereabouts. Obama will be able to get away with this because he is not viewed by the world with the same level of suspicion as George Bush. Just as "only Nixon could go to China," Obama will be able to do more against terrorism because he is viewed as a peacemaker.

4. A decrease in medical skill, treatment, and availability...47 million Americans do not have health insurance and that number is rising every day, so we will have more availability for healthcare with universal coverage. The United States currently ranks 37th in the world in healthcare and hopefully we will do better once treatment is available for all.

Last edited:
Unlike Canada, where some poor girl with a cyst in her brain has to wait three months for an MRI, and another huge length of time before she can get it biopsied.

Don't they have universal health coverage? Oh, yeah...they do! What a huge improvement over our own system!

I could get an MRI today if I presented with symptoms. And I live in the middle of nowhere. I'd be lifeflighted out and voila....medical care at my fingertips.

Unlike Canada, where some poor girl with a cyst in her brain has to wait three months for an MRI, and another huge length of time before she can get it biopsied.

Don't they have universal health coverage? Oh, yeah...they do! What a huge improvement over our own system!

I could get an MRI today if I presented with symptoms. And I live in the middle of nowhere. I'd be lifeflighted out and voila....medical care at my fingertips.

Mythbusting Canadian Health Care -- Part I | OurFuture.org

I know people who need an MRI, but will NEVER get one because they can't afford it.

That is because of 2 main reasons. First McCain is not conservative enough.
Second McCain is running probably the worst campaign I have ever seen in my lifetime. My grandmother could run a better one, and she has been dead for 15 years.

I know people who need an MRI, but will NEVER get one because they can't afford it.

Really? Who? Because my son had an MRI when we had no way to pay for it.

Do you mean they choose not to get an MRI? You understand the difference, right? Between choosing not to get an MRI because you don't want to pay for it...and being refused an MRI because you have no way to pay for it.

Somehow, I don't think you know the difference.

Really? Who? Because my son had an MRI when we had no way to pay for it.

Do you mean they choose not to get an MRI? You understand the difference, right? Between choosing not to get an MRI because you don't want to pay for it...and being refused an MRI because you have no way to pay for it.

Somehow, I don't think you know the difference.

how did he get the MRI if you couldnt pay for it?

Forum List

Back