What Would Jesus Do?

nkml

Rookie
Feb 6, 2006
Picture this: A cartoon of Jesus, with his pants down, smiling, raping a little boy. The caption above it reads “Got Catholicism?” Or how about a picture of a Rabbi with blood dripping from his mouth after bludgeoning a small Palestinian boy with a knife shaped like the Star of David—the caption reads “The Devil’s Chosen Ones.”

I wonder if people around the world would just consider this free speech? Of course, some would condone or agree with one, two or all three, while others would say “it’s free speech,” although they “find it offensive and in poor taste.” But do you honestly think media outlets such as the BBC, Le Monde, or any media outlet in Copenhagen would pick up these cartoons? The outrage would begin instantly and advertisers would pullout. Yet, those in Denmark and their supporters around Europe call it freedom of speech to have a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed—who is not supposed be depicted to prevent idolatry according to clerical interpretation of the Koran—with a turban shaped like a bomb on his head.

The double standard the West has set for the rest of the world is disgusting. We live in a foolish bubble where we think we are free to say or do whatever we want without consequence. I remember watching Saturday Night Live when Sinead O’Connor ripped up a picture of the Pope. The furor was enormous, which led to NBC receiving a 2.5 million dollar fine by the Federal Communications Commission. Imagine if it was a picture of Jesus—the US Congress would have made the Teri Schiavo intervention look like a joke.

Where are the pictures of the dead soldiers, the dead women and children in the Western media? Some governments won’t allow it and other media outlets just fear the backlash. When I need journalistic honesty, I have to turn to Al Jazeera, why is that? One cannot even deny the Holocaust in Europe, question 9/11 in America (unless you want the Ward Churchill treatment), but the West claims they’re all about free speech.

It is no coincidence the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is grossly pro-Israeli. It is no coincidence that you never heard the full quotes of Iranian president Ahmadinejad’s comments on Israel and the Holocaust—no matter the basis. And it is no coincidence that Arab analysts who are against the war in Iraq, the occupation of Palestine, and America’s “war on terror” are insufficiently represented in the European press.

So what are Muslims to do? Violence is out of the question—that would be “an overreaction.” So why not boycott? That would be a mistake as well, according to the European Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini who stated, “Calls for boycotts or for restraints on the freedom of the press are completely unacceptable.” What Frattini meant to say is that Muslims should choose capitalism over faith. Maybe the European Union will clarify through a cartoon—Mohammed selling the Koran for ten bucks in a Danish pawn shop. But boycotting is a friend of the West. However, they more conveniently title it “sanctions.” I’m sure we all remember the 500,000 Iraqi women and children that died because of the UN boycotts on Iraq after the first Gulf War.

Is Europe is willing to continue this new trend against boycotts? Will the European community call on Israel to show Paradise Now in non-independent theatres? It’s the only way to stop the boycott of Palestinian freedom of speech. Will the European Union resume aide to the Hamas-led Palestinian government tomorrow? Since Hamas’ call for the destruction of Israel is protected under the clause of freedom of speech and the group stopped suicide attacks 18 months ago, it only seems logical.

If Denmark, Norway, France, Germany and the rest of Europe believe in the freedom of speech, it should include all instances and all religions. These nations are carelessly defending their hypocrisy and reinforcing the double standard that alienates Muslims and desecrates the Muslim faith, under the guise of free speech. I guess only one question remains for small Norwegian Christian newspapers like Magazinet that reprinted the cartoons: What would Jesus do?

nkml said:
Picture this: A cartoon of Jesus, with his pants down, smiling, raping a little boy. The caption above it reads “Got Catholicism?” Or how about a picture of a Rabbi with blood dripping from his mouth after bludgeoning a small Palestinian boy with a knife shaped like the Star of David—the caption reads “The Devil’s Chosen Ones.”

Yet, those in Denmark and their supporters around Europe call it freedom of speech to have a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed—who is not supposed be depicted to prevent idolatry according to clerical interpretation of the Koran—with a turban shaped like a bomb on his head.

Hardly a good comparison is it?

Also, Are you Remi Kanazi? If not, post the link with the copy and paste. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article11788.htm

Muslims are just using the "cartoon" as an excuse to destroy things, threaten and kill people.
Thats not true, if your a muslim you would no what a muslim feels when he see's those cartoons, no one asked the newpaper to publish them, they did it, how are muslims now held responsible?

Hardly a good comparison is it?
I dont see why, it is a very good comparison in my opnion that elustrates how the double standards in the freedom of speech are applied.

Also, Are you Remi Kanazi? If not, post the link with the copy and paste. http://www.informationclearinghouse...rticle11788.htm
Sorry about that, I'll make sure I post a link back the next time.

I know exactly what I feel when that happens.

Everyone who believes in God or is a United States citizen knows what it feels like.

We face it every day...across the world. But because we believe in free speech, we have to put up with it.

nkml said:
Thats not true, if your a muslim you would no what a muslim feels when he see's those cartoons, no one asked the newpaper to publish them, they did it, how are muslims now held responsible?

Uhh, they are burning stuff and hurting people.

I dont see why, it is a very good comparison in my opnion that elustrates how the double standards if the freedom of speech are applied.

Was the bomb or anything up Mohammad's ass? Was he raping any 9 yr olds? No. It was a bad example to illlustrate his point. And in response to the Pope thing on SNL, refresh my memory.....any violence, rioting??

nkml said:

I dont see why, it is a very good comparison in my opnion that elustrates how the double standards in the freedom of speech are applied.

The point you are missing isn't about free speech.

It is about respect. Respect your fellow man.

Respect their thoughts. Respect their religion.

Respect. Plain and simple.

Said1 said:
Uhh, they are burning stuff and hurting people.

Was the bomb or anything up Mohammad's ass? Was he raping any 9 yr olds? No. It was a bad example to illlustrate his point. And in response to the Pope thing on SNL, refresh my memory.....any violence, rioting??

Firstly please respect me as a Muslim and don't start insulting my Prophet.

Secondly, NBC received a 2.5 million dollar fine, did the Danish newspaper pay anything? No, did the Danish government do anything? No, no fines nothing, instead they insult our intelligence by saying that this is a freedom of speech, which is clearly not the case when the same Danish newspaper (JP) refused to publish cartoons of Jesus.

nkml said:

Secondly, NBC received a 2.5 million dollar fine, did the Danish newspaper pay anything? No, did the Danish government do anything? No, no fines nothing, instead they insult our intelligence by saying that this is a freedom of speech, which is clearly not the case when the same Danish newspaper (JP) refused to publish cartoons of Jesus.

The first part of the thread you started:

nkml said:

And then you ask to respect you and not insult your prophet?

nkml said:

Are you saying that Muslims are not mentally advanced enough to know that a cartoon is not grounds for beheading people. What is with these backward fanatics? I don't agree, off with your head??????? I wouldn't disgrace animals by calling them that, I would place the life of a tree rat over these pigs(sorry pigs).

GotZoom said:
And then you ask to respect you and not insult your prophet?
Its not my article, we as Muslims have the same respect to all prophets, we are prohibited from drawing any kind of picture for any prophet not just pictures of our prophet.

nkml said:

You posted the article without considering who you might be offending in doing so. Don't like it, don't post it and leave yourself open to comments.

Your speaking about two different countries, what can I say. The Dannish government can do as they wish. It's not like this is the first time a cartoon of that nature has been printed in the west, where was the outrage then?

If it helps, the editor was fired.

nkml said:
Its not my article, we as Muslims have the same respect to all prophets, we are prohibited from drawing any kind of picture for any prophet not just pictures of our prophet.

But you posted it, right?

Your speaking about two different countries, what can I say. The Dannish government can do as they wish. It's not like this is the first time a cartoon of that nature has been printed in the west, where was the outrage then?

If it helps, the editor was fired.
When was this kind of pictures printed in a newspaper? I don't recall it happening before.
And which editor was fired? no one was fired from JP.

nkml said:

I wonder if people around the world would just consider this free speech? Of course, some would condone or agree with one, two or all three, while others would say “it’s free speech,” although they “find it offensive and in poor taste.” But do you honestly think media outlets such as the BBC, Le Monde, or any media outlet in Copenhagen would pick up these cartoons? The outrage would begin instantly and advertisers would pullout. Yet, those in Denmark and their supporters around Europe call it freedom of speech to have a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed—who is not supposed be depicted to prevent idolatry according to clerical interpretation of the Koran—with a turban shaped like a bomb on his head.

The double standard the West has set for the rest of the world is disgusting. We live in a foolish bubble where we think we are free to say or do whatever we want without consequence. I remember watching Saturday Night Live when Sinead O’Connor ripped up a picture of the Pope. The furor was enormous, which led to NBC receiving a 2.5 million dollar fine by the Federal Communications Commission. Imagine if it was a picture of Jesus—the US Congress would have made the Teri Schiavo intervention look like a joke.

Where are the pictures of the dead soldiers, the dead women and children in the Western media? Some governments won’t allow it and other media outlets just fear the backlash. When I need journalistic honesty, I have to turn to Al Jazeera, why is that? One cannot even deny the Holocaust in Europe, question 9/11 in America (unless you want the Ward Churchill treatment), but the West claims they’re all about free speech.

It is no coincidence the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is grossly pro-Israeli. It is no coincidence that you never heard the full quotes of Iranian president Ahmadinejad’s comments on Israel and the Holocaust—no matter the basis. And it is no coincidence that Arab analysts who are against the war in Iraq, the occupation of Palestine, and America’s “war on terror” are insufficiently represented in the European press.

So what are Muslims to do? Violence is out of the question—that would be “an overreaction.” So why not boycott? That would be a mistake as well, according to the European Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini who stated, “Calls for boycotts or for restraints on the freedom of the press are completely unacceptable.” What Frattini meant to say is that Muslims should choose capitalism over faith. Maybe the European Union will clarify through a cartoon—Mohammed selling the Koran for ten bucks in a Danish pawn shop. But boycotting is a friend of the West. However, they more conveniently title it “sanctions.” I’m sure we all remember the 500,000 Iraqi women and children that died because of the UN boycotts on Iraq after the first Gulf War.

Is Europe is willing to continue this new trend against boycotts? Will the European community call on Israel to show Paradise Now in non-independent theatres? It’s the only way to stop the boycott of Palestinian freedom of speech. Will the European Union resume aide to the Hamas-led Palestinian government tomorrow? Since Hamas’ call for the destruction of Israel is protected under the clause of freedom of speech and the group stopped suicide attacks 18 months ago, it only seems logical.

If Denmark, Norway, France, Germany and the rest of Europe believe in the freedom of speech, it should include all instances and all religions. These nations are carelessly defending their hypocrisy and reinforcing the double standard that alienates Muslims and desecrates the Muslim faith, under the guise of free speech. I guess only one question remains for small Norwegian Christian newspapers like Magazinet that reprinted the cartoons: What would Jesus do?

Odd that you would see a double-standard on the West's part not the usual, closed-minded intolerance of anything that dares question your religion.

I think your religion is as backwards-assed as your culture. Don't like it? Sue me.

nkml said:
When was this kind of pictures printed in a newspaper? I don't recall it happening before.
And which editor was fired? no one was fired from JP.

If you search for them, you will find them......4 months ago.

Oops, editor of French paper, French Soir was fired.

Said1 said:
If you search for them, you will find them......4 months ago.

Oops, editor of French paper, French Soir was fired.
Ah you mean the JP pictures, yeah i know they were 1st published 4 months ago, I honestly dont know why everyone noticed it this late, I persoanlly heard about it when they were 1st published.

And yes the french newspaper guy was fired, but thats not really enough, if it was the guy at JP then it would have been a different story.

nkml said:
Ah you mean the JP pictures, yeah i know they were 1st published 4 months ago, I honestly dont know why everyone noticed it this late, I persoanlly heard about it when they were 1st published.

And yes the french newspaper guy was fired, but thats not really enough, if it was the guy at JP then it would have been a different story.

So what are you going to do, hold your breath until someone acceptable apologizes? Why not start first. I might have missed it, but where was your condemnation for the actions of your fellow Muslims as of late?

I saw the part where you asked how could we blame them, but I didn't see the part where you wrote about disagreeing with violence and bad stuff.

Said1 said:
So what are you going to do, hold your breath until someone acceptable apologizes? Why not start first. I might have missed it, but where was your condemnation for the actions of your fellow Muslims as of late?

I saw the part where you asked how could we blame them, but I didn't see the part where you wrote about disagreeing with violence and bad stuff.

My take on his posts is his religious brethren are completely innocent of wrongdoing since violence is a completely acceptable response to disagreeign with someone exercising any freedom of speech that DARES ridicule their oh-so-precious religion.

All I can say is it's a damned good thing the overwhelming majority of Christians don't respond to ridicule in such a manner or there'd be a lot of burned-down buildings around here..... :flameth:

Said1 said:
I might have missed it, but where was your condemnation for the actions of your fellow Muslims as of late?
Well I am a new member here, youll have to give me some time to post some more.

Said1 said:
Well I am against the burning of embassies and trashing of cars if thats what you mean, it was not the correct thing to do. But I do understand the anger.

Forum List

Back