What Would Happen If Pres. Bush.....

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
made a speech near the DMZ and offered asylum in the USA or a number of allied nations for any and all north koreans who wanted to leave their nation and have a free future?

NATO AIR said:
made a speech near the DMZ and offered asylum in the USA or a number of allied nations for any and all north koreans who wanted to leave their nation and have a free future?

You are assuming the average North Korean citizen would get to hear such an offer. Given the plight of the average North Korean I would say that the only thing that would happen is the North Korean leadership would get mad as hell and threaten to nuke Japan.

CSM said:
You are assuming the average North Korean citizen would get to hear such an offer. Given the plight of the average North Korean I would say that the only thing that would happen is the North Korean leadership would get mad as hell and threaten to nuke Japan.

probably, but given the number of refugees china recieves and callously sends back to north korea for summary execution, it might place some significant pressure on china to stop that. i think, given the disturbing lack of real options we have to help the north koreans directly, this is something good we can do for the north koreans sake. i'm sure the overwhelming majority would be outstanding citizens of their new countries.

( :happy2: tried to rep ya csm for a realistic look at my dream that made me look at a bigger picture, but i have to spread some more around before i can)

NATO AIR said:
probably, but given the number of refugees china recieves and callously sends back to north korea for summary execution, it might place some significant pressure on china to stop that. i think, given the disturbing lack of real options we have to help the north koreans directly, this is something good we can do for the north koreans sake. i'm sure the overwhelming majority would be outstanding citizens of their new countries.

( :happy2: tried to rep ya csm for a realistic look at my dream that made me look at a bigger picture, but i have to spread some more around before i can)

Human rights issues in China have been an issue for a long time. It will take more than a speech to pressure China to do anything. The fact is that most nations do not respond to mere rhetoric. One of two things have to happen to incur change: either the incentive to change has to be overwhelmingly in their best interest or the consequences for them not changing have to be overwhelmingly severe. The same is true of most people.

CSM said:
Human rights issues in China have been an issue for a long time. It will take more than a speech to pressure China to do anything. The fact is that most nations do not respond to mere rhetoric. One of two things have to happen to incur change: either the incentive to change has to be overwhelmingly in their best interest or the consequences for them not changing have to be overwhelmingly severe. The same is true of most people.

i am thinking in line with a vastly improved campaign on washington's part to challenge china to do better on its human rights record and its activities in the world, tying this into better trade deals and what not. we must do much better than what we have been doing recently with china's sorrowful record.

NATO AIR said:

One would think that 22 million people (the pop. of NK) would pack their bags. Unfortunately, due a lack of outside information and the mass indoctrination of the population, most North Koreas fear and despise America.

onedomino said:
One would think that 22 million people (the pop. of NK) would pack their bags. Unfortunately, due a lack of outside information and the mass indoctrination of the population, most North Koreas fear and despise America.

a brutal truth

NATO AIR said:

Unless we were willing to get ourselves involved in a way that risked war the fall-out over such a statement would be akin to the aftermath of Bush 41 encouraging Iraqis to revolt.

We tell the North Koreans to defect. The North Korean Communists shoot thousands of their own citizens. We get blamed.

Nothing gained. I don't see the point.

Zhukov said:
Unless we were willing to get ourselves involved in a way that risked war the fall-out over such a statement would be akin to the aftermath of Bush 41 encouraging Iraqis to revolt.

We tell the North Koreans to defect. The North Korean Communists shoot thousands of their own citizens. We get blamed.

Nothing gained. I don't see the point.

a substantial number flee to china as it is. the chinese should quietly hand them over to allied embassies for asylum.

Forum List

Back