What Would A Free Market For Health Care Look Like?

Free market health care is what we have now. :rolleyes:

Not where health insurance is concerned. In that respect it's a crony capitalist market where big insurers lobby the government and win every time.

That's why the costs are so high.

Things now cost 5x or more what they did 15 years ago.

And what's their answer? Double down on the same stupid shit. Take the corruption and graft of state insurance regulation and centralize it at the federal level.

It's really getting tiresome seeing the idiocy of US voters. They deserve pretty much whatever they get at this point.

Free market healthcare means a drop in coverage for those with preexisting conditions and people having to sell off their homes to pay medical bills.

Free market health care means people are free to decide for themselves how to manage their health care.

Free market healthcare means people often can't use it if they get sick and that insurance companies are an enemy of America.

???

That's the reality of how it was prior to Obamacare. Free market healthcare is a failure.

Not really. We've been interfering in the health care market for the better part of a century. That's why it's so fucked up. But you wanna do more of the same. Go team!

If we didn't interfere, it would be even worse.

Not where health insurance is concerned. In that respect it's a crony capitalist market where big insurers lobby the government and win every time.

And what's their answer? Double down on the same stupid shit. Take the corruption and graft of state insurance regulation and centralize it at the federal level.

It's really getting tiresome seeing the idiocy of US voters. They deserve pretty much whatever they get at this point.

Nobody ran on reforming health insurance lobbying. I know it might put some people out of work but damn, them insurance people make money for having money. They are making wayyyy more than they should.

It's a simple solution: Outlaw lobbying aka bribery and start putting politicians and people that bribe them in jail and call a runoff election. They're supposed to be there to represent the people, not Big Pharma and insurance companies.

Nobody ran on reforming health insurance lobbying. I know it might put some people out of work but damn, them insurance people make money for having money. They are making wayyyy more than they should.

It's a simple solution: Outlaw lobbying aka bribery and start putting politicians and people that bribe them in jail and call a runoff election.

That's anything but simple. There's rarely anything like a direct bribe involved. Would you prevent all lobbying? Just corporate lobbying?

They're supposed to be there to represent the people, not Big Pharma and insurance companies.

Some of the people they represent are interested in the success of Big Pharma and insurance companies. Should they be represented as well?

Free market health care means people are free to decide for themselves how to manage their health care.

Free market healthcare means people often can't use it if they get sick and that insurance companies are an enemy of America.

???

That's the reality of how it was prior to Obamacare. Free market healthcare is a failure.

Not really. We've been interfering in the health care market for the better part of a century. That's why it's so fucked up. But you wanna do more of the same. Go team!

If we didn't interfere, it would be even worse.

That's the claim. But it just gets harder and harder to say with a straight face. Consumers should be free to decide for themselves how to spend their money, regardless of whether you think that would be 'worse' or not.

I think the entire current health care system started in 1945 with Kaiser Permanente (Kaiser Permanente - Wikipedia ). It seemed to open the door to insurance companies. I remember working part time in a Blue Cross/Blue Shield office sorting claims and the costs for services via that were almost double what you would pay at a local clinic (in San Francisco yet about 1961).

Free market healthcare means a drop in coverage for those with preexisting conditions and people having to sell off their homes to pay medical bills.

So when you go to sign up with a new auto insurance company... And they see you've had two accidents and two license suspensions for late payments, do you think it's well within their rights to either: A) Not cover you, or B) Cover you, but charge you a higher price?

What about banks? If one has a healthy credit score of 805 with a clean report, and another has a 604 with a bankruptcy within the last 5 years, do you think the person with an 805 score should have the same interest rate (thus payment) as the person with a bankruptcy?

What about this one... If you're a life insurance underwriter, do you cover the guy that's a police officer, with a history of dangerous activity outside of his occupation the same rate as someone who works as a teacher at an elementary school and goes home to a family and watches TV every night?

Why don't YOU pay the same premium as those who are constantly defaulting on their loans, car insurance payments, being irresponsible and causing accidents on the roads more than the average person, and the person who's a police officer despite not living that risky lifestyle. You can't punish the responsible people (i.e: healthy people with a few exceptions like cancer or type I diabetes) by charging them the same amount as those who eat an unhealthy diet, never exercise, drink alcohol like a fish, and would rather sleep with 20 people and catch an STD than sleep with a few people and not catch the disease.

A little common sense advice for you... The democrats don't know anything about healthcare. They came up with this plan that fined people (freedom anyone?) for not wanting to pay for ridiculously expensive healthcare that doesn't even cover you until you reach a $5,000 or similar deductible, essentially making it worthless to those who actually work a job and never go to the doctor because they're healthy people. So the person who doesn't constantly suck away the resources the insurance companies use basically pay the same or more than those who suck from the system on a regular basis... It's bull shit.

So when you go to sign up with a new auto insurance company... And they see you've had two accidents and two license suspensions for late payments, do you think it's well within their rights to either: A) Not cover you, or B) Cover you, but charge you a higher price?

What about banks? If one has a healthy credit score of 805 with a clean report, and another has a 604 with a bankruptcy within the last 5 years, do you think the person with an 805 score should have the same interest rate (thus payment) as the person with a bankruptcy?

What about this one... If you're a life insurance underwriter, do you cover the guy that's a police officer, with a history of dangerous activity outside of his occupation the same rate as someone who works as a teacher at an elementary school and goes home to a family and watches TV every night?

Why don't YOU pay the same premium as those who are constantly defaulting on their loans, car insurance payments, being irresponsible and causing accidents on the roads more than the average person, and the person who's a police officer despite not living that risky lifestyle. You can't punish the responsible people (i.e: healthy people with a few exceptions like cancer or type I diabetes) by charging them the same amount as those who eat an unhealthy diet, never exercise, drink alcohol like a fish, and would rather sleep with 20 people and catch an STD than sleep with a few people and not catch the disease.

A little common sense advice for you... The democrats don't know anything about healthcare. They came up with this plan that fined people (freedom anyone?) for not wanting to pay for ridiculously expensive healthcare that doesn't even cover you until you reach a $5,000 or similar deductible, essentially making it worthless to those who actually work a job and never go to the doctor because they're healthy people. So the person who doesn't constantly suck away the resources the insurance companies use basically pay the same or more than those who suck from the system on a regular basis... It's bull shit.

The deluded supporters of ACA believe that the insurance industry is a social safety net rather than a financial service. Or they believe it can be morphed into one by passing a law mandating it.

My belief is that healthcare is a human right and that insurance companies charge obscene amounts of money and they line the pockets of some people in Congress. Healthcare guaranteed to all in this country is essential as health should not be for sale. Everybody should have healthcare and the free market is only interested in making money. Governments guaranteeing healthcare to all as a right is a big step forward.

My belief is that healthcare is a human right and that insurance companies charge obscene amounts of money and they line the pockets of some people in Congress. Healthcare guaranteed to all in this country is essential as health should not be for sale. Everybody should have healthcare and the free market is only interested in making money. Governments guaranteeing healthcare to all as a right is a big step forward.

However incoherent, this is the view driving most efforts as health care reform. It's why it seems so hopeless.

However incoherent, this is the view driving most efforts as health care reform. It's why it seems so hopeless.

Single payer is not hopeless and I think one day it will happen. Free market healthcare is dystopian healthcare.

It may, in your egotistical opinion, be a "human right." But, IT IS NOT a constitutional right!

It may, in your egotistical opinion, be a "human right." But, IT IS NOT a constitutional right!

Constitutional rights are human rights and vice versa. My human right to healthcare began the moment I was born, and it's only a matter of time until the government recognizes it as such.

Constitutional rights are human rights and vice versa. My human right to healthcare began the moment I was born, and it's only a matter of time until the government recognizes it as such.

You are claiming that, from the moment you were born, I AM SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE?

Where the hell does that come from?
And where is it in the constitution?

You are claiming that, from the moment you were born, I AM SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR YOUR HEALTHCARE?

I pay for yours. :coffee:

Healthcare is a human right. Every American is supposed to pay into it. That's how it should be and goes with healthcare as a right. Paying into the system means you get to use it, too.

upload_2017-5-7_14-53-34.jpeg
tcacfwlt7yvy.jpg

Healthcare is a human right. Every American is supposed to pay into it. That's how it should be and goes with healthcare as a right. Paying into the system means you get to use it, too.

Show me PROOF of where healthcare is a human right!

Once you are born, the only human right there is is to DIE!

Forum List

Back