What will you do if he doesnt win?

True enough in the past, but not the last two elections. With McCain and Romney both, the rank and file Republicans haven't really liked them and only reluctnatly got behind them once they were the results of the shake out of the primary process. I don't believe the establishment was behind McCain or Romney from the get go.

Yes and no. McCain and Romney both put a lot of effort into reaching out to the power brokers after their unsuccessful run. When I said earlier that Romney's only principle was winning, that was what I was talking about. It happened to McCain too. Both men woke up after losing their respective primary bids, realized they wanted to win the next bid, and started reaching out to the guys they couldn't stand to make connections.

Romney in particular had some pretty serious backing from some of the big money folks in the GOP in 2012. It wasn't just his own money that kept buying him wins every time Santorum might actually turn things around.

BTW, this isn't exactly a bad thing. The GOP process typically does an extremely thorough job vetting candidates AND bringing them in line with the party platforms. Romney in 2008 and McCain in 2000 weren't exactly taking the platform as dogma. By their next bids, their stances came directly out of party dogma. That IS NOT BAD, as your primary candidate is supposed to pick the guy that best represents the party goals.

On the DNC side, you sometimes get folks that are just way outside the party platform and pasts that aren't vetted. Clinton and Obama both pissed off their base more than once by breaking ranks and leaning right at key policy moments, and both have had more than a few skeletons in the closet. I don't necessarily consider the DNC primary process to be that bad either, as with the DNC you're more likely to pick up a moderate as a candidate because they've got a better chance to "sneak through." The downside is you've got a chance to get someone like John Edwards get to the number 2 spot on the ticket.

Last edited:
Survive.

I don't expect Romney to win. I think that the Average American voter is an idiot and you can't fix stupid. more and more I'm convinced that we are too stupid to live free.

I'm buying gold and silver bullion, and bullets.

I will survive.

If Obamination wins, I expect many rich people will leave this country. They are not going to standby and watch the goon steal their wealth to pay for his goodies to the losers.

Spain is seeing this today with their people taking money out of the banks and leaving town.

If I was Romney, I would pack my family and money up then head for a safe country where Obamination can't steal everything.

After Obama winning the nomination in 2008, nothing should surprise you anymore.

Yeah, that one did come out of nowhere. I've always thought that Obama winning his nomination was more a referendum on the Democrats trying to oust the Clintons and their influence once and for all. And then Obama went and welcomed them back into the fold.

Romney's nomination win isn't that surprising to me though. The GOP takes a different tract with the nomination process and typically selects the person who is "due". It's not that common in recent times for a person to win the nomination on the GOP side without having first ran a losing primary big or two. Folks forget even Ronald Reagan ran an unsuccessful bid against Ford.

That's just how it works though in the GOP. The first bid is really about making contact and getting to know the powerbrokers. The second (and sometimes third) bids are the serious one. Toss in the large amounts of cash Romney had on hand and Citizen's United and Romney was pretty much guaranteed a win.

The DNC on the other seems to be a bit predisposed to WTF nominations. Guys that come out of a successful term somewhere else, but who just are not known on the national stage.

I agree with much of your post. And I do remember Reagan ran in 1976 because in 1977 I was drunkenly singing "Ronnie Ronnie Reaaaaa-gun, he'll win in 1980" to the tune of "Glory Glory Hallelujah" at a YAF convention with a bunch of other drunk young turk conservatives.

However, I believe another large factor in Romney's nomination is that his competition in the primaries was a bag of dildoes. But it is true that the party machine had picked Romney before the first call bugle even sounded.

Last edited:
They're pretty much the same, anyway.

In the last 16 years, the USA has transformed from a nominally free country into a police state.

Who runs the nation makes a HUGE difference, and Obama is the worst I've ever seen, by a wide margin - even considering Dubya, who was a clusterfuck.

This speech should give you goosebumps:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoObph3ZrT4]Ronald Reagan - "A Time for Choosing" - 1964 - YouTube[/ame]

However, I believe another large factor in Romney's nomination is that his competition in the primaries was a bag of dildoes. But it is true that the party machine had picked Romney before the first call bugle even sounded.

I think part of that is because the really good candidates either decided Obama was likely to win (unseating a sitting President is actually pretty hard), or they got the word from the party leaders not to run. Jindal in particular shocked the heck out of me when he didn't run as he's laid a lot of groundwork in Iowa and the other early primary states for a future run.

As far as the field, yeah, most of them sucked pretty hard. Santorum was the only real competition for Romney, and that says something about Romney when Santorum gives you a run on the national scene.

He being, whoever you are rooting for. Will anything change in your life? Will it have any real effect on you? Will you avoid the boards for awhile? It seems both sides are supremely confident, so i except a decent amount of crowing from whoever wins.

Not much will change in mine but if Romney is elected, things will change for the worse in many people's lives including women & children. I'll feel very bad about it but my life will continue on the same path.

They're pretty much the same, anyway.

In the last 16 years, the USA has transformed from a nominally free country into a police state.

Who runs the nation makes a HUGE difference, and Obama is the worst I've ever seen, by a wide margin - even considering Dubya, who was a clusterfuck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoObph3ZrT4]Ronald Reagan - "A Time for Choosing" - 1964 - YouTube[/ame]

Reagan was a hell of a speaker.

Yeah, post 9/11 a lot of scary as hell power has devolved to the Federal Government in general and the POTUS in particular thanks to Bush and Cheney who helped grab that power and Obama holding on to it with clenched fists (despite promising to relinquish it).

I don't see Obama or Romney as being particularly all that different in how they'll ultimately wield that power, but we must as American citizens remain vigilant. I don't think we've ever come so close in American history to relinquishing democracy entirely since Washington turned down the soldiers that offered to make him King. Every election matters now.

Reagan was a hell of a speaker.

Yeah, post 9/11 a lot of scary as hell power has devolved to the Federal Government in general and the POTUS in particular thanks to Bush and Cheney who helped grab that power and Obama holding on to it with clenched fists (despite promising to relinquish it).

I don't see Obama or Romney as being particularly all that different in how they'll ultimately wield that power, but we must as American citizens remain vigilant. I don't think we've ever come so close in American history to relinquishing democracy entirely since Washington turned down the soldiers that offered to make him King. Every election matters now.

What drivel.

The USA PATRIOT Act scares you.

Your fundamental lack of comprehension about the actual meaning and purpose of the 5th Amendment makes you fear bogeymen under your bed at night.

Yeah. Some of the "tools" imply the prospect of potential danger to our Constitutional rights. The answer YOU and your fellow nimrods come up with, though, is absurd. It doesn't dawn on you dolts that perhaps the right answer is to authorize some exceptional authority for the exceptional circumstances but to monitor it VERY closely.

Forum List

Back