What will we be "mandated" to buy next?

i assume roberts and obama can force us to buy an electric car. if we dont, we pay a 10000 dollar tax.

This is such a great point. The government can literally force us to buy anything now. Pretty scary actually.

Any thoughts on that?

Since the Fed can now force us to buy hc ins, there's no end of things that can be mandated, for our own good.

I'm thinking life ins. Those evul grave diggers demand thousands of dollars just to dig a hole and put your loved one in it.

Forcing everone to get it, and giving it free to the poor will lower the cost of premiums and make certain no one ever has to pony up for any of the costs of dying.

plus all those evul life insurance companies = about $14 trillion dollar industry, so we should put more government regs on them.

This is a sad sad day for freedom.

you know... it strikes me that if the mandate were that you buy a gun, you wouldn't be complaining.

just saying.

now THAT'S sad...

You make a ridiculous argument. I've owned health insurance all my life and I still disagree with the ruling.

i assume roberts and obama can force us to buy an electric car. if we dont, we pay a 10000 dollar tax.

This is such a great point. The government can literally force us to buy anything now. Pretty scary actually.

To be fair, they've already been doing this with abandon for decades and we've been too baffled by bullshit to notice. Every time a new 'tax incentive' is passed it's the same net effect. People who don't do what the government wants (whether it's paying to make their home more energy efficient, saving money for retirement, going into home owner's debt, or, now - purchasing health insurance) pay higher taxes than those who comply.

Any thoughts on that?

Since the Fed can now force us to buy hc ins, there's no end of things that can be mandated, for our own good.

I'm thinking life ins. Those evul grave diggers demand thousands of dollars just to dig a hole and put your loved one in it.

Forcing everone to get it, and giving it free to the poor will lower the cost of premiums and make certain no one ever has to pony up for any of the costs of dying.

plus all those evul life insurance companies = about $14 trillion dollar industry, so we should put more government regs on them.

This is a sad sad day for freedom.

you know... it strikes me that if the mandate were that you buy a gun, you wouldn't be complaining.

just saying.

now THAT'S sad...
That's idiotic. THere is no way all these costs can be deferred without a massive tax increase on earners.
This ruling gives the Congress unprecedented taxing authority.
That's tragic.
THe Secretary of Health and Human Services has virtual unlimited authority in this Act.
That sets a terrifying precedent.

Well I didn't like funding useless wars.. yet we didn't see so many complaints for 8+ years...

Straw man argument.
You'll sit idly by while the federal government decides what you can eat, when you can use the bathroom, where you may or may nor travel, your living quarters and just about everything else.
You lefties are fearful individuals. You require constant attention. To get that attention you look to government to solve your endless list of problems and worries.
You people would not know a solution if it bit you in the ass.

No.. it's not the same thing.

Yes it is.

Originally: if you don't purchase health insurance you will be fined (penalty).

After today's ruling: if you don't purchase health insurance you will be taxed.

What's different?

Being FORCED to buy insurance and paying a tax if you don't are not the same. No one is holding a gun to your head.

And of all the things to protest paying for... there are a lot more protest-worthy things, things we can blame Obama for as well.

Goods, services, and actions are taxed.

Today we learned that we can be taxed for NON-action.

lunacy

Take your affordable guaranteed health care and like it, fools. Get a doctor and get your shytte together.

Frankie,ill be the devils advocate here......if this thing ends up being a expensive failure....will you be here saying that?.... Frankie i am basically against it because i dont think its going to work the way its supposed to work,if the Government is behind it,it very seldom does,they waste to much money and things get out of control.....to many chiefs trying to justify their jobs,and not enough people who actually do the work the place is supposed to do....but if it does work....ill be here saying.....ill be damed.....it seems to be doing as advertised.....:eusa_clap:......how honest are ya Frankie?.......

lunacy

It is lunacy. But it's lunacy we already have a lot of. We need to understand that. For example, there are tax incentives that let you deduct from your taxes owed for making energy-efficient home improvements. The people who don't make these investments pay higher taxes than those who don't. They are taxed for their non-action. How is this any different?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating for this practice. I think it's all bullshit. But we need to understand that we've been conned for a long time, thinking that we're getting little 'bonuses' for playing along and doing what the government (or rather, their lobbyists) want us to do. When it's equally valid to recognize that the people who aren't jumping through these hoops are being punished with higher taxes.

lunacy

It is lunacy. But it's lunacy we already have a lot of. We need to understand that. For example, there are tax incentives that let you deduct from your taxes owed for making energy-efficient home improvements. The people who don't make these investments pay higher taxes than those who don't. They are taxed for their non-action. How is this any different?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating for this practice. I think it's all bullshit. But we need to understand that we've been conned for a long time, thinking that we're getting little 'bonuses' for playing along and doing what the government (or rather, their lobbyists) want us to do. When it's equally valid to recognize that the people who aren't jumping through these hoops are being punished with higher taxes.

:cool:

Take your affordable guaranteed health care and like it, fools. Get a doctor and get your shytte together.

You're in luck. Your chronic retardery is classed as a pre-existing condition, and you can't be denied coverage for it.

No cure for it, though...

Frankie!!.....see there is still hope for ya bud!......now tell uncle Dave thanx for the info....

lunacy

I wonder if you think that all taxes are bad and should be abolished.

lunacy

No.

What will we be "mandated" to buy next?
We are "mandated" to pay taxes. What do our taxes buy us?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt once remarked that “Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society.” And Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. expressed a similar sentiment when he said that “I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization."

Government is Good - Taxes are Good

1040-receipt.png

What our taxes pay for | The Christian Century

NO! You're making too much sense!!! :eek:

No.

To elaborate, I have no problem with taxes that are applied equally to generate the revenue required for government to function. My complaint is with tax policies that are formulated to manipulate us in ways that would be clearly unconstitutional if implemented as straightforward laws. If, for example, Congress passed a law that everyone was required to buy energy-efficient water heaters, and that those who didn't would be fined, I think most of us would recognize that as an unconstitutional law. Yet the tax incentives "rewarding" the purchase of energy-efficient water heaters are functionally equivalent.

No.

To elaborate, I have no problem with taxes that are applied equally to generate the revenue required for government to function. My complaint is with tax policies that are formulated to manipulate us in ways that would be clearly unconstitutional if implemented as straightforward laws. If, for example, Congress passed a law that everyone was required to buy energy-efficient water heaters, and that those who didn't would be fined, I think most of us would recognize that as an unconstitutional law. Yet the tax incentives "rewarding" the purchase of energy-efficient water heaters are functionally equivalent.

I'm not sure how this makes sense... or how buying water heaters is analogous to a tax that provides the necessary revenue needed for a more expansive and equitable healthcare system.

I'm not sure how this makes sense... or how buying water heaters is analogous to a tax that provides the necessary revenue needed for a more expansive and equitable healthcare system.

The point of granting Congress the taxation power it to raise revenue for government programs, not to manipulate behavior. Our government uses the power to tax to do an end run around limited government and equal protection.

Forum List

Back