What will the Obama Presidency hold?

Bern80

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2004
In an attempt to add a little substance to this:

No one can deny the historic moment this is in terms of electing an African American to office, for that I am proud of America, disagree with Obama as much as a I do there's at leat that credit I can give him.

For those of us on the right worried about freedoms, Fred Barnes on Fox News asked it best: As President will he be who hesays who is going to be; a uniter, bipartisan, etc. or will he continue to be what is record has shown him to be? Opposing gun rights on every vote he's ever cast, for abortion on demand, for card check voting in union organization.

In my young life I have yet to be this worried and uncertain about the freedoms I care about being trampled.

No one can deny the historic moment this is in terms of electing an African American to office, for that I am proud of America, disagree with Obama as much as a I do there's at leat that credit I can give him.

For those of us on the right worried about freedoms, Fred Barnes on Fox News asked it best: As President will he be who hesays who is going to be; a uniter, bipartisan, etc. or will he continue to be what is record has shown him to be? Opposing gun rights on every vote he's ever cast, for abortion on demand, for card check voting in union organization.

In my young life I have yet to be this worried and uncertain about the freedoms I care about being trampled.

Hope and change, Dude. Hope and change. Work with it. :lol:

Well you were one hoping for. What is it you wished?

I think he'll be who he's promised to be. Fear not! it'll all be okay :D

How does overturning Roe restore your freedoms, please?

He'll actually return a lot of freedoms to the American such as the Right to a Speedy Trial and No Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Specifically, what rights do you think he'll take away? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that he'll partially take away the second ammendment. He really isn't as radical a liberal as he's been painted out to be, at least not on spending.

He'll actually return a lot of freedoms to the American such as the Right to a Speedy Trial and No Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Specifically, what rights do you think he'll take away? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that he'll partially take away the second ammendment. He really isn't as radical a liberal as he's been painted out to be, at least not on spending.

Look at his actual voting record for the answer. Removing the 2nd amendment on the COnstitution isn't radical enough for you? Ooookaaayy. If his voting record is any indication I would look for overly heavy gun regulation. The freedom to not have someone looking over your shoulder when you cast a union vote. The freedom of a child to be born once he reaches the point of being a human. In short I expect a major expansion of the nanny state. The man could turn out to be a bigger flip flopper than Kerry. Even in his acceptance speech he usef the phrase 'self reliance', which I have preached to the nth on this board. Unfortunately nothing about his past in terms of voting or his plans for the future indicate that is what he's about.

Not saying this is good or bad but judging from his own words he wants to raise taxes on "the rich" (which was $250,000, then $200,000, then $150,000, and now $120,000), not sure what the final number will be, he wants to give that money to other middle and lower class people. He is also going to push for a government funded healthcare, government funded college, government funded abortions and he is going to cut military spending 25%. You will also have agenda's from Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid which Obama will vote for as well.

To sum it up, this country is going to become very liberal.

The Obama presidency will hold a lot of broken promises, as he goes back on his taxation word in order to fund his entitlement programs.. He will try and ensure that over 50% of the people in the US receive an entitlement at the other sub-50%, in order to pacify them to buy votes in the next election.

It will also help the conservative movement take new root... battling for the personal freedoms that Obama will try and take away from true earners and people who have personal responsibility...

Obama will divide this country even more...

Not saying this is good or bad but judging from his own words he wants to raise taxes on "the rich" (which was $250,000, then $200,000, then $150,000, and now $120,000), not sure what the final number will be, he wants to give that money to other middle and lower class people. He is also going to push for a government funded healthcare, government funded college, government funded abortions and he is going to cut military spending 25%. You will also have agenda's from Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid which Obama will vote for as well.

Excellant! At present, we pay more per capita for our health care than any other nation on earth, yet our longevity is about the worst in the industrialized nations, and our infant mortality is third world. Socialized Health Care. Damned right! It works in Europe, Japan, and Taiwan. They live longer, and have healthier old ages than we do, and no families going bankrupt because of medical bills.

As far as taxes go, we have a National Deficit of 10 trillion dollars. How are we going to pay for that? Are you advocating just running the printing presses? The only source of income the government has is taxes. Engaging in two wars without increasing taxes to fund them was an idiocy the Bush admin engaged in. Deregulating business rules, and expecting people to chose ethics over profit, was another idiocy of the Bush admin. Yes, taxes are going to have to be increased, and the wealthy, particularly those that have contributed to the present economic debacle, should be paying the bulk of those taxes.

Get out of Iraq, nobody here or there wants us there. Get Bin Laden and then get out of Afghanistan. Most of our overseas bases really have no use in todays world. Close them down, and use the money to rebuild the supplies of our National Guard. Drop the idiotic star wars missile deployment, and give our military the needed tools that we failed to give them in Iraq and Afghanistan. We can actually cut our military budget and increase our military readiness by cutting out all the unneccessary baggage from another era.

Let's be frank here for a moment, if anyone thinks that the Obama presidency will show immediate results they are being more than hopeful. First, let's look at Iraq, while President-Elect Obama will give the CentCom and new mission in Iraq that much is clear, it will take at least 16 months according to his math to implement. So in the best case your looking at Summer 2010, which by that time the FY budget for 2011 will have already been voted on and approved. Then President-Elect Obama has further indicated that his desire is to redirect several brigades in Iraq to Afghanistan again in a best case scenario your looking at 2010 unless the current situation in Iraq continues to improve like it has and this window is moved up. So in the best case any cost savings and that will not be that much will be realized in FY2012 a full 3 years after taking office.

Now lets take a look at the tax code, by law the Bush tax code does not expire until 2010. So in the best case your looking at late 2010 or 2011 until a Middle-Class tax cut can be implemented. By that time another election cycle will have passed and the makeup of congress will have changed once more. President-Elect Obama will need to look at additional stimulis packages like the 150 billion dollar one proposed by Nancy Pelosi that gives everyone money on top of the 700 billion already approved in the short term. This will further add to the budget deficit.

So what can be done in the short term. IMHO you will see a BUR Bottoms Up Review of the government by an Obama Administration. You will likely see a shrinking of outsourcing in contracting immediatly and an attempt at the Universal Health Care Issue as well as Energy , like green jobs etc.

The Obama presidency will hold a lot of broken promises, as he goes back on his taxation word in order to fund his entitlement programs.. He will try and ensure that over 50% of the people in the US receive an entitlement at the other sub-50%, in order to pacify them to buy votes in the next election.

It will also help the conservative movement take new root... battling for the personal freedoms that Obama will try and take away from true earners and people who have personal responsibility...

Obama will divide this country even more...[/QUOTE]

He did a wonderful dividing job just in running.

What will the Obama presidency hold?

Can't answer on the big picture but the music and dancing at his inauguration party will be gobs better than if McCain had won. ;)

Excellant! At present, we pay more per capita for our health care than any other nation on earth, yet our longevity is about the worst in the industrialized nations, and our infant mortality is third world. Socialized Health Care. Damned right! It works in Europe, Japan, and Taiwan. They live longer, and have healthier old ages than we do, and no families going bankrupt because of medical bills.

As far as taxes go, we have a National Deficit of 10 trillion dollars. How are we going to pay for that? Are you advocating just running the printing presses? The only source of income the government has is taxes. Engaging in two wars without increasing taxes to fund them was an idiocy the Bush admin engaged in. Deregulating business rules, and expecting people to chose ethics over profit, was another idiocy of the Bush admin. Yes, taxes are going to have to be increased, and the wealthy, particularly those that have contributed to the present economic debacle, should be paying the bulk of those taxes.

Get out of Iraq, nobody here or there wants us there. Get Bin Laden and then get out of Afghanistan. Most of our overseas bases really have no use in todays world. Close them down, and use the money to rebuild the supplies of our National Guard. Drop the idiotic star wars missile deployment, and give our military the needed tools that we failed to give them in Iraq and Afghanistan. We can actually cut our military budget and increase our military readiness by cutting out all the unneccessary baggage from another era.

I guess Hawaii wasn't following the european plan... LOL
Hawaiian Healthcare Holdup

You want to fix the helathcare problem???????? Stop electing Senators who ask for these earmarks!!! It's flat out anti-American to take away the liberty of people to pursue their own healthcare when we the people are giving our government money to pay for things like this.

New Tax earmarks in Bailout bill
- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)

Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill.
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

JUST FOLLOW THE CONSTITUTION AND THERE WOULD BE PLENTY OF MONEY TO HELP PEOPLE WITH THEIR HEALTHCARE!!!

as a middle class tax payer, i don't see it taking money from those above me as my tax break...

i see my OWN TAXES being REDUCED, i don't think i am taking anyone elses taxes to give myself a break, it is MY TAXES that are being slightly lowered....

IF ANY OF THIS will even happen...which i do not personally believe it can happen, any time soon....with the financial mess we are in....

but if i were to get a break on MY taxes....it would be MY OWN being cut.

as a middle class tax payer, i don't see it taking money from those above me as my tax break...

i see my OWN TAXES being REDUCED, i don't think i am taking anyone elses taxes to give myself a break, it is MY TAXES that are being slightly lowered....

IF ANY OF THIS will even happen...which i do not personally believe it can happen, any time soon....with the financial mess we are in....

but if i were to get a break on MY taxes....it would be MY OWN being cut.

Keep believing that.. his paying for his programs has to have the money coming from somewhere... and it ain't just going to come from the top 5%

And as for me... I still call for equal % burden from all citizens for income tax.... equality, not a punishment system, not redistribution

Forum List

Back