What will his husband say??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deltex1, Jan 4, 2013.

1. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,520
    Barney Frank admitted this morning on MSNBC that he has asked Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick to pick him to replace John Kerry in the Senate:

"I’ve told the governor I would now like, frankly, to" be the senator, said Frank.

Frank suggested he wants the seat so that he can fight for an increased debt ceiling in the Senate. He had previously said he had no interest in filling the position, but said the next few months will be "important."

The appointment would only be temporary. And he'd step down after a special election to replace Kerry, who has been nominated to be the next secretary of state. Frank says he won't run for the seat.

The special election to fill the Senate seat the old fashioned way will likely be held in several months.

Patrick has not indicated who he'll pick to fill the seat.

2. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    What was the purpose of your title? There is nothing about his life partner in the portions you posted (sans link I might add)

Yes, we know Barney Frank is gay. What does that have to do with this?

3. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,520
    A short while ago he said he was pleased to retire...so he could pay more attention to his husband...a lesson to be learned by all working wives....

4. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,520
  5. Seawytch

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    I see...and we were just supposed to intuitively know that? You didn't mention that in your OP and there were no links to statements supporting your title.

“After 45 years, I’m tired,” he said. “I look forward to a situation where when the phone rings, I won’t be apprehensive that it’s some problem I have to deal with: some crisis — maybe that somebody else has done something stupid that I have to deal with, or in the worst case, something stupid I’ve done that I have to deal with.”

Read more: Barney Frank:

6. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    It has all do so with this very recent interview he himself gave:

:confused:

7. Seawytch

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Again, we are supposed to just know that? There was nothing in the OP about his wanting to spend time with his partner and it certainly doesn't seem the driving force behind his decision.

Basically it was a non sequitur to point out the "no shit sherlock" fact that Frank is gay.

8. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,520
    This is not a jury trial, Mona...just try to keep up with current events and you will do fine.

9. Dreamy

Dreamy Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Then I am glad I could add the details that you were unaware had happened.

Well I would say the OP and his title do clearly address the fact that Barney Frank did just retire and as recently as days ago he stated that he was tired and wanted to spend more time with his spouse so yes I would wonder how his spouse feels about his potential offer to fill Senator Kerry's seat even for the interim. Was he lying to the interviewer and the people and his spouse when he stated what he did in the interview?

As far as he being gay that seems to be your issue. We often discuss the spouses of elected people in politics. Why so prickly over this? He is being treated like every other married elected person who claimed to do something for his spouse and then lied apparently. The irony is he did this all within days of each interview.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,661
    He said he didn't intend to run for the seat, just fill-in until the special election. FAIL!!!