What Will Happen in Education

Alan Dean Foster is a science fiction writer. In one of his books a character was a young girl in school. The educational system was divided with public schools called "soches". The education in the soch was limited to social activities, getting along with others, conflict resolution, proper sexual techniques, cultural diversity. Education was done privately in supplemental schools paid for by parents, families and some charitable foundations. The public soch was compulsory, the private schools were not.

His idea of the future of what euphamistically passes for education today is the most correct I've come across.

As far as teaching goes...

Teachers will be hired through Kelly Services. Contracts will be for only one year with no benefits. Turnover will be constant.
One parental complaint and a new teacher will be in the room the next day.
Administrators at the school will still be making top-dollar with great benefits though.
Because of the fear of parental complaints, As will be the standard grade and no discipline will be used, allowing teachers to keep their jobs.
Eventually everything will be online with a few teachers to help with explanations.
Later on kids won't go to schools. They'll stay home and do all work online. When an education depends on having self-discipline the wheels will come off, but Jerry Springer type shows will have daytime ratings off the charts...

Alan Dean Foster is a science fiction writer. In one of his books a character was a young girl in school. The educational system was divided with public schools called "soches". The education in the soch was limited to social activities, getting along with others, conflict resolution, proper sexual techniques, cultural diversity. Education was done privately in supplemental schools paid for by parents, families and some charitable foundations. The public soch was compulsory, the private schools were not.

His idea of the future of what euphamistically passes for education today is the most correct I've come across.

Really? You don't think you're engaging in juuuust a bit of hyperbole and hysterics here? I mean, I volunteer at my daughter's school every year and well let's see. Literature, World History, Chemistry, Geometry, Forensics. Never saw anything about conflict resolution, sexual techniques or cultural diversity in any of them.
So on what do you base this opinion?

Pulp for paper isn't made from exotic rain forest wood, ignoramus.

Mebby you coulda Googled that one.:lol:

Pulpwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay so I was wrong about WHERE the wood that would be saved, would come from. You see, people of character can simply admit when they're wrong about something. In this case, it's WHERE the wood that would be saved, would come from. I guess this is what people post when they don't have anything of substance about the topic. When a person's character is reflected in the fact they never have anything of substance to say and also go out of their way to find some way to insult a stranger on the internet, it says something about them. Congratuations. Do you feel special now?
More irrelevance that exposes your rank ignorance of even the most rudimentary of economic principles....IOW, zero substance in exchange for more of your egomniacal twaddle.

Contrary to environmentalist wackaloon belief, more demand for paper means more trees, in the same way that eating pork, beef and chicken means more livestock....People who see a buck to be turned (i.e. GP, Wayerhouser and thousands of small-time timber farming operations) see to it that there are plenty of trees on hand for pulpwood.

It's just another example of how you spout off your big fat yap without sparing a moment to check your premises....But we're all used to it by now.

MY PREDICTION FOR EDUCATION: My daughter and I were discussing the fact that she is able to do homework online. After letting her know that I had to walk to school 5 miles through the snow (uphill both ways, of course), I let her know what kids just starting school now, would be doing when they graduated. It made perfect sense to her but I realize a lot of people don’t think the way I do and so thought I’d share it with you.
There will be no such thing as a high school or college textbook anymore. All school desk will be embedded with Tablet technology. Students will be issued a code and a flash drive. Their “books” will be pulled up on their desk and include audio and video clips. The nicer schools will also have 3-D holographic technology for the teachers and some of the classes. Testing, grading and anti-cheating software will help to compensate for the large classroom sizes. Of course there will always be students who figure out how to “hack the test”. Students will be able to see 3-D images of Kennedy giving a speech, touch a word on their screen and hear it spoken in the language they are studying and with the proper accent etc… It will take a while to refine but the long term effect will be a much higher quality of education. Additionally, since the overwhelming majority of commercial books, periodicals etc… will be electronic, the effect on the environment will be positive. The plummeting demand for paper and wood (for other reasons) will literally save The Rain Forest in the twelfth hour.

If the "greenies" have it their way, there will be no electricity. No pumped water or sewage (electricity is bad for the environment). No visiting national parks (your presence will pollute the pristine environment). Better teach her how to grow her own vegatables, cause that is probably the only way she will be able to have an income (black market of course), because the gov't will tell you when to get up, what to do, when to go to bed, and when you will be put to death.

But if the righties have their way we will all die from pollution. So either we have no electriciy or we all die.

Really? You don't think you're engaging in juuuust a bit of hyperbole and hysterics here? I mean, I volunteer at my daughter's school every year and well let's see. Literature, World History, Chemistry, Geometry, Forensics. Never saw anything about conflict resolution, sexual techniques or cultural diversity in any of them.

The schools that I see. The consistent reduction in test scores necessary for graduation. The increased number of classes in social programming squeezing out core cirriculum. In California gay history is slowly replacing world history. American history is a collection of footnotes.

By the time students graduate high school, they cannot peform simple arithmetic, they cannot write their own names, they print in block letters. They spell in "text". They cannot read a book or a newspaper. Not in every school, but in a growing number of schools. We have deficient graduates across the board. But they all know how to put a condom on a banana.

Last fall, student protests crippled Santa Monica community college. They were protesting the creation of more difficult classes in core subjects which would cost more since the competent teachers were paid more. More difficult text books cost more. These classes were created to deal with the number of remdial students set back from the colleges and universities. It does no good to graduate students after two years, with no more education than they had to begin with.

You should be grateful if your child's school is actually teaching. I can only think of ONE school that does actual teaching. That's Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach. Manhattan Beach is a wealthy community where the parents are obviously more demanding for more than free birth control pills handed out by the school nurse.

Actually many of the text books in use throughout the southwest are donated by mexico and don't have American history at all unless it pertains to mexico.

The problem will be how the control of the distribution of knowledge will be maintained.

We could have created a National Recommended Reading List for kids decades ago. Long before we had cheap computers. I could have read this in high school:

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8]"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube[/ame]

But I never heard of it until 2010.

This short story contains more information than all of the Harry Potter books combined, even though the HP books have SIXTY TIMES as much text. So we could have affected the education of millions of kids decades ago by simply suggesting better books.

Omnilingual (1957) by H. Beam Piper
Scientific Language: H. Beam Piper
LibriVox » Omnilingual by H Beam Piper
Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks

But no, they need to be indoctrinated with Shakespeare because that is EDUCATION.

This technology is so cheap and powerful it is only a question of what is loaded on it and how good a job it can do compared to most teachers. For some kids an excellent book by itself is better than at least 33% of so called teachers.

Teachers are probably better at indoctrinating than computers though.

psik

hahahaha. I cant believe how many people think technology is the key to education.

thinking is the key to education. some kids like to think and figure things out, some dont. you cant stop a clever kid from learning and you cant force a dull student to learn if he doesnt want to.

nothing he is a conservative he doesnt base his opinion on anything exepct rants from other conservatives

As far as teaching goes...

Teachers will be hired through Kelly Services. Contracts will be for only one year with no benefits. Turnover will be constant.
One parental complaint and a new teacher will be in the room the next day.
Administrators at the school will still be making top-dollar with great benefits though.
Because of the fear of parental complaints, As will be the standard grade and no discipline will be used, allowing teachers to keep their jobs.
Eventually everything will be online with a few teachers to help with explanations.
Later on kids won't go to schools. They'll stay home and do all work online. When an education depends on having self-discipline the wheels will come off, but Jerry Springer type shows will have daytime ratings off the charts...

I like this prediction best... Not just because it's both sad and funny, but because we better well figure out the MOTIVATION and DISCIPLINE part as well. Right -on to what IAN-C says about "thinking" being the key to education as well....

MY PREDICTION FOR EDUCATION: My daughter and I were discussing the fact that she is able to do homework online. After letting her know that I had to walk to school 5 miles through the snow (uphill both ways, of course), I let her know what kids just starting school now, would be doing when they graduated. It made perfect sense to her but I realize a lot of people don’t think the way I do and so thought I’d share it with you.
There will be no such thing as a high school or college textbook anymore. All school desk will be embedded with Tablet technology. Students will be issued a code and a flash drive. Their “books” will be pulled up on their desk and include audio and video clips. The nicer schools will also have 3-D holographic technology for the teachers and some of the classes. Testing, grading and anti-cheating software will help to compensate for the large classroom sizes. Of course there will always be students who figure out how to “hack the test”. Students will be able to see 3-D images of Kennedy giving a speech, touch a word on their screen and hear it spoken in the language they are studying and with the proper accent etc… It will take a while to refine but the long term effect will be a much higher quality of education. Additionally, since the overwhelming majority of commercial books, periodicals etc… will be electronic, the effect on the environment will be positive. The plummeting demand for paper and wood (for other reasons) will literally save The Rain Forest in the twelfth hour.

If the "greenies" have it their way, there will be no electricity. No pumped water or sewage (electricity is bad for the environment). No visiting national parks (your presence will pollute the pristine environment). Better teach her how to grow her own vegatables, cause that is probably the only way she will be able to have an income (black market of course), because the gov't will tell you when to get up, what to do, when to go to bed, and when you will be put to death.
And no computers, which use all sorts of environmentally unfriendly and unrecyclable parts.

Serious biohazards!

Pulp for paper isn't made from exotic rain forest wood, ignoramus.

Mebby you coulda Googled that one.:lol:

Pulpwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay so I was wrong about WHERE the wood that would be saved, would come from. You see, people of character can simply admit when they're wrong about something. In this case, it's WHERE the wood that would be saved, would come from. I guess this is what people post when they don't have anything of substance about the topic. When a person's character is reflected in the fact they never have anything of substance to say and also go out of their way to find some way to insult a stranger on the internet, it says something about them. Congratuations. Do you feel special now?
More irrelevance that exposes your rank ignorance of even the most rudimentary of economic principles....IOW, zero substance in exchange for more of your egomniacal twaddle.

Contrary to environmentalist wackaloon belief, more demand for paper means more trees, in the same way that eating pork, beef and chicken means more livestock....People who see a buck to be turned (i.e. GP, Wayerhouser and thousands of small-time timber farming operations) see to it that there are plenty of trees on hand for pulpwood.

It's just another example of how you spout off your big fat yap without sparing a moment to check your premises....But we're all used to it by now.

Wow. You're just an angry little guy, aren't you? Unpopular in high school or something?

Well I hope that made you feel better!

I guess I was wrong about part of my guess. It happens. I am not a great and wise expert on wood the way that you are. Thanks for the education!

I recommend a therpist with experience dealing with inferiority complexes and anger issues. Then perhaps, you could say things that are impossible for you now. They would include monumental displays of character as:

I was wrong.
I disagree with you but acknowledge you have a valid point.
Thanks for the education. I didn't know that!
I'm sorry.

Now I can provide dozens of examples where I and many other people here, have written exactly those kinds of things right here on this board. The reason it's obvious you need a bit of help, is that you can't provide a single example of those. Inferiorty complex.
Also, I don't go into threads just looking for a way to criticize or insult strangers whom I've never met. That's just well, um you know, kinda bent.
Remember what to tell the therapist: Inferiority complex, anger issues.

In the meantime, congratualtions on your amazing knowledge of paper. :eusa_angel:

The schools that I see. The consistent reduction in test scores necessary for graduation.
This is a valid and reasonable point.

The increased number of classes in social programming squeezing out core cirriculum.
Examples?

In California gay history is slowly replacing world history. American history is a collection of footnotes.

Okay this sounds like absolute Glenn Beck hysterics but I could be wrong. Can you provide a link that shows a single school anywhere, has replaced US Histry with Gay History? If not, you'll pardon me if i don't it at all.

By the time students graduate high school, they cannot peform simple arithmetic, they cannot write their own names, they print in block letters. They spell in "text". They cannot read a book or a newspaper. Not in every school, but in a growing number of schools. We have deficient graduates across the board. But they all know how to put a condom on a banana.
the first part of that paragraph is a valid concern. The second is not really related to the quality of classes not dealing with sex.

Last fall, student protests crippled Santa Monica community college. They were protesting the creation of more difficult classes in core subjects which would cost more since the competent teachers were paid more. More difficult text books cost more. These classes were created to deal with the number of remdial students set back from the colleges and universities. It does no good to graduate students after two years, with no more education than they had to begin with.

You should be grateful if your child's school is actually teaching. I can only think of ONE school that does actual teaching. That's Mira Costa High School in Manhattan Beach. Manhattan Beach is a wealthy community where the parents are obviously more demanding for more than free birth control pills handed out by the school nurse.

Can you porivde a link to a single school that gives birth control pills out for free? Just curious. I've heard this from others but they never verify it.

So again, what would you do to improve the system? I mean, I always hear people complain but rarely seem them come up with ideas to address:
over-crowding,
the fact that the profession pays so little, higher quality folks no longer want to do it.
states constantly cutting budgets and less federal assistance
and so on...

The schools that I see. The consistent reduction in test scores necessary for graduation.
This is a valid and reasonable point.

The increased number of classes in social programming squeezing out core cirriculum.
Examples?

In California gay history is slowly replacing world history. American history is a collection of footnotes.

Okay this sounds like absolute Glenn Beck hysterics but I could be wrong. Can you provide a link that shows a single school anywhere, has replaced US Histry with Gay History? If not, you'll pardon me if i don't it at all.

the first part of that paragraph is a valid concern. The second is not really related to the quality of classes not dealing with sex.

Can you porivde a link to a single school that gives birth control pills out for free? Just curious. I've heard this from others but they never verify it.

So again, what would you do to improve the system? I mean, I always hear people complain but rarely seem them come up with ideas to address:
over-crowding,
the fact that the profession pays so little, higher quality folks no longer want to do it.
states constantly cutting budgets and less federal assistance
and so on...

I know the question wasn't asked to me but I will answer it anyways
1) Eliminate the funding gap. Most of the worst performing schools are schools that receive less funding because they are in poor areas. Some places get 70% less funding then other places
2) Provide funding for pre-school education for all poor children. Studies show that this funding creates 10 dollars in benefits for every dollar spent
3) Mandate that elementary schools spend an hour day teaching about physical/intellectual reactions their results and how to be honest and improve oneself. This results in 72% less suspensions 15% less absentee days and a 9% increase in test scores
4) Teach kids early about logic because as this forum proves most Americans dont know anything about logic
5) Make it so teachers do not get bonus for performance because studies show that it decreases long term performance of teachers
6) Make it so schools only sell healthy food/drinks because this improves students health and test scores
7) Mandate real sex education instead of abstinence dumbassery
8) Mandate every student takes a art/music class because it results in 10% higher test scores and more community service
9) Hire minority teachers for schools with high rates of minorities because studies show that it increase the grades of minority students by 13%
10) eliminate charter schools because they have lower test scores despite having more money
11) Make school uniforms mandatory because they reduce misconduct by 86% and increase attendance by 4%
12) Make elementary students take a anti bullying class yearly given that it reduces bully by 72% and increases GPA of those who would otherwise of been bullied
13) Regulate textbooks like Japan and England which would lower there costs by 50%
14) Regulate/reduce the use of for profofit college because they leave their students in higher debt cost more have lower test scores and havew graduates who cant find jobs
15) Move to a less grade orientated approach as it results in less focus on acedmic studies lower test scores and less self learning
3)

1) Eliminate the funding gap. Most of the worst performing schools are schools that receive less funding because they are in poor areas. Some places get 70% less funding then other places

Throwing more money at underperforming schools/students/families does NOT solve the problem.

5) Make it so teachers do not get bonus for performance because studies show that it decreases long term performance of teachers

That's just fucking stupid, and a typical liberal antagonism toward responsibility.

Forum List

Back