What will congressional districts look like in 2012?

Sep 12, 2008
This is the year of the census. Lots of interesting things going on with it, issues about large number of illegals being counted and one thing and another.

But given the antics of congress over the last year, many of us on the Right on are thing this could be quite a year for us. when voters are angry, they are angry all the way down the line election wise. So not only is there the possibility of catching lots and lots of house seats, but also doing the same in the state houses. And the state houses draw the lines.

What kinds of lines will they draw?

Also interesting will be the flow of seats. For quite a while the population has been shifting west and south. How many more seats will NY loose? Will California keep on gaining like it used to? During the Clinton years population moved to red states. How pronounced was this tendency during the Bush years. What will it mean for 2012?

Discuss

The guy who designed the California district map in 1981 called it his contribution to modern art.

I don't believe you could get away with some of the things he did anymore. One of which was to cut Chinatown into three pieces for congressional districts. All kinds of lawsuits would arise from that kind of thing.

This is the year of the census. Lots of interesting things going on with it, issues about large number of illegals being counted and one thing and another.

But given the antics of congress over the last year, many of us on the Right on are thing this could be quite a year for us. when voters are angry, they are angry all the way down the line election wise. So not only is there the possibility of catching lots and lots of house seats, but also doing the same in the state houses. And the state houses draw the lines.

Also interesting will be the flow of seats. For quite a while the population has been shifting west and south. How many more seats will NY loose? Will California keep on gaining like it used to? During the Clinton years population moved to red states. How pronounced was this tendency during the Bush years. What will it mean for 2012?

Discuss

Why Should they be drawing LINES at all? It's discrimination if one were to look at it honestly?

MOST are drawn up along lines of RACE...and I thought WE as a Republic were beyond these things?

Population I can see...but we KNOW the TRUE purpose of the lines, don't we?

I read somewhere that one prediction showed 8 states losing representatives and 11 states gaining. And yes we know exactly why the lines are drawn in such strange shapes. I don't know how to prevent it. What's the term? Gerrymandering? And no wonder the White House wants to be so involved.

Gerrymandering? YOU bet...and Designed to keep INCUMBENTS in POWER...thus we have the case of Corrine Brown (D), Florida...

LOOK...Why is the MAP drawn this way? ONE purpose.

CorrineBrown.jpg

SOURCE

Along that "Corridor" that you see? Guess what the Constituentcy is like? And If you ever try to have correspondence with her? YOU had better BE the correct Colour, AND correct PARTY...I know first hand.

Discuss

Why Should they be drawing LINES at all? It's discrimination if one were to look at it honestly?

MOST are drawn up along lines of RACE...and I thought WE as a Republic were beyond these things?

Population I can see...but we KNOW the TRUE purpose of the lines, don't we?

The "true" purpose of gerrymandering? To maximize the number of seats for the party in power to keep and the party out of power to lose. District lines are drawn by the state government - and whichever party has control of the state legislature gets to draw the lines. That's why the decades are such big years for state leg elections - the lines are drawn census years.

In terms of which states are going to gain or lose seats - all I know is current predictions show New York losing one seat - who's seat will be eliminated, that I don't know.

From email, Congress.Org

According to an analysis by Election Data Services Inc., the nonpartisan consulting firm specializing in political demographics, eight states are poised to gain seats and 11 states are likely to lose them.

Read more about the eight states the Census will help: Texas, Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Georgia and South Carolina. Congress.org - News : Three states the Census will help

Read more about the 11 states the Census will hurt: Louisiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.
Congress.org - News : Three states the Census will hurt

Forum List

Back