What?Why?When?How?

As far as nothing moving faster than the speed of light...

picture putting 3 little bugs inside a balloon that have been knocked out and positioned so they don't move from where you put them on the inside of the balloon skin....and you blow up this balloon, the bugs are getting farther and farther away from eachother as they stay attached to the inside of the balloon, where they were initially positioned....the bugs have not traveled themselves, faster than the speed of light, but the balloon is still expanding and putting farther and farther separation between them....

And is it true that it had to have exceeded the supposedly insurmountable speed of light at some time?

And if the speed of light cannot be exceeded then how does E=mc^2 ?

In current theories, the expansion of space did exceed the speed of light in the early universe. This is often confused with something traveling faster than the speed of light. The expansion of space is not bound by the speed of light which limits travel through space. I'm not sure how you suggest the limit of the speed of light affects the equation for the conversion between matter and pure energy.

Thank you. A MUCH more satisfying answer than the imbecilic one offered by another guest who cannot even correctly spell "relevance."

As to that last sentence in your post, I am just curious. That's all. If Energy equals Mass Times the Velocity of Light SQUARED, how do you multiply C times C if C is already an absolute?

The C is squared simply because of the units used to measure energy. Think about acceleration- it is measured in distance per time per time or distance per time squared. (e.g. km/hr/hr) The units used to measure energy in the equation are mass per speed per speed. One of Einstein's greatest inspirations was the realization that in relativity the only absolute by which to comparatively measure was the speed of light, therefore the speed of light must be the constant in the equation. Thus, the amount of energy contained withing a certain mass is equal to the mass times the speed of light squared. That is a lot of energy and has been proven by the age of atomics.

Why is the universal expansion speeding up?

Beats the hell out of me. I'm merely reporting the current theory about the expanion of the universe..to wit...it's speeding up

And if the speed of light cannot be exceeded then how does E=mc^2 ?

Easy...E=mc^2 except when it doesn't.

Remember that until Einstein came along, Newtonian physics thought it had all the answers, too.

And then remember that we thought that we understood everything about energy and matter until we needed to invent the concept of dark matter and energy to explain why gravity wasn't explaining the universe?

We do not only not have all the answers, we can't even imagine all the questions.

Since when I deal with massive egos with deficient basis in reality (tools like JBpukesucker) I have a proclivity to get sarcastic, I want to be clear when I tell you that I appreciate your answer. It is much more impressive to get a person to admit that there are many things which we do not yet know than it is to see some tool like JB pretending that he has clue-one about such things.

Good post!

Forum List

Back