What were your parents political views?

cpusa.jpg

Mother: Liberal
Father: Nationalist

Both their views did not influence my political views.
My interest in politics began when I was 19 or so. At that age my parents couldn't influence me anymore nor did I talk with them about politics when I talked to them.

But, my political views changed over time. My political views have moved more to the center.

And how did that shape the political views you have today?

My parents were both Democrats and voted in every election. They discussed politics occasionally but they weren't militant about it.

I vote everytime as well, I always feel so patriotic getting out there early in the morning.

Yeah, I'm quirky..

One very, very liberal.
One fundie neocon - before it was cool.

I'm not sure how much it affects my current views, they've evolved a lot over time. But I'm sure used to the arguments about it.

My mom rang doorbells for Goldwater.

My dad never told me what to think, but whenever I made an assertion, he always asked questions as to why I felt that way. His big thing was that everyone is sure of their assertions, but it is a good idea to make sure of them on a regular basis.

My dad was a voting delegate to the Republican Party here in Indiana. Mom went along with his views. She worked every election from 6 am to 6 pm at the tables checking in people who voted.

I've voted in every election since I was 18, and have voted Republican, Libertarian and Democrat.

I guess the only party I've missed is the Green Party! :D

Both my parents were born and raised in the very liberal city of Cambridge Massachusetts. That right there should tell you something about their political views.

Growing up in my house, us kids were more or less told to shut up and stop fighting. Open conversations with my parents were unheard of. They never spoke openly about politics, at least not in front of us. I did hear though, plenty of racial slurs and insults.

Both were union-loving, Kennedy-loving Democrats up until recently. My 'Archie Bunker' dad has realized in his elder years, that he is much more of a conservative than a liberal. Keeping in mind, the Democratic party from years ago is much different than what it is today.

I don't recall my parents discussing politics at all..I do remember them being excited when John Kennedy won the Presidency though...

Me, I started off as liberal during the Vietnam era, free love, hippie times and highly liberal schooling. Then, over a working life and kids I went conservative..

Last edited:
My dad was a voting delegate to the Republican Party here in Indiana. Mom went along with his views. She worked every election from 6 am to 6 pm at the tables checking in people who voted.

I've voted in every election since I was 18, and have voted Republican, Libertarian and Democrat.

I guess the only party I've missed is the Green Party! :D

I don't like the color Green, so I don't vote for them. :lol:

My grandfather was bigtime American Communist Party, my dad is a hardcore Democrat, my mom was non political. I am a lifelong Dem, conservative money wise but fairly liberal when it comes to what people can do in the privacy of their own homes.

I can't recall my parents talking about politics very much. I honestly can't remember either of them going to vote. I know my father used to watch Meet The Press every Sunday morning but as far as ever hearing him discuss politics doesn't ring a bell.

I can't recall my parents talking about politics very much. I honestly can't remember either of them going to vote. I know my father used to watch Meet The Press every Sunday morning but as far as ever hearing him discuss politics doesn't ring a bell.

This seems so alien to me. My folks were forever holding meetings, stuffing envelopes and whatnot. I knew who Adlai Stevenson was as a wee one more'n I knew who my own grands were. I lost them early and so I had to imagine what normal family life was like, but I grew up assuming everyone discussed politics at the dinner table with their kids listening.

Looking back, I can see why my folks were attracted to the ACP but the whole notion of communism just seems so silly to me. People cooperate? When? I'd say the real lasting inheritance is just a natural curiosity about what is happening, along with a craving for social justice.

My parents never talked politics .....

I pretty much am the 1st one in my family to be interested in politics.

My dad had conservative tendencies, but was a union man.
My mom left my dad when I was 13 and then discovered she was a lesbian, and she is very conservative, go figure......

Yep, my family is weird.... :cuckoo:

New Topics

Forum List

Back